Is the camera that BAD!?

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Btw, the N 5 had a nice little feature that allowed you to change the default size of the photos you take so you're not always fighting huge file sizes for emails and MMS. Is there such a thing for the X?

Posted via Android Central App

There's such a thing, even for dumb phones (non smartphones), but unfortunately not on the X.

I posted same question here in AC but didn't get any results, but here's some feedback from some xda members :

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2551482

Oofa

May 22, 2013
Visit site
It all depends on what you do with the photos you take. Unless you are printing them and blowing them up to 8X10 size, most phones, including the Moto X, take photos that are OK to upload on web sights and forums and you will not notice too much of a difference unless you start to dissect the photos but if you take photography seriously, drop the phone and pick up a camera because there is no phone that takes "incredible" photos.

What it comes down to (for me) is how easy is it to whip out the phone and use all the options? Do I have to struggle in order to turn flash on and off? Do I have the options I want? Do I have too many photo menus that will never get used? The Moto X makes it very easy to use the camera as intended. Whip it out and take a few shots without getting too serious about the quality of the photos. Just the fact that you can shake the phone to bring up the camera makes it a no-brainer for ease of use.

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
There's such a thing, even for dumb phones (non smartphones), but unfortunately not on the X.

I posted same question here in AC but didn't get any results, but here's some feedback from some xda members :

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2551482

Thanks for the post. It is a little odd they didn't include it. I see now that the messaging app does indeed automatically reduce the size for MMS, which is nice. Third party resizer it is for email I guess.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I've used both (still have both) on 4.2.2 and on 4.4 and the Moto X is vastly superior in the camera department. Neither are that great at motion shots and the GNex can fire off more shots faster, but you end up with a lot more keepable shots from the Moto X.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Neither of these shots are set up (at all), they're just auto focus, auto flash and snap:

Moto X

IMG_20131207_054603638_HDR.jpg

GNex

IMG_20131207_054502.jpg

GNexROC

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I just replaced my gnex with the moto x and agree with others that the camera is a big upgrade. In good light the moto x is vastly superior. In low light as others have said the moto x let's in too much light and can make for grainy photos. But its a big upgrade from the gnex hands down...

Zaisaroni

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I just replaced my gnex with the moto x and agree with others that the camera is a big upgrade. In good light the moto x is vastly superior. In low light as others have said the moto x let's in too much light and can make for grainy photos. But its a big upgrade from the gnex hands down...

The grain is from post processing or cranking the sensitivity of the sensor up (High ISO) to get a brighter image. During dark situations, getting in more light is always better for IQ.

kakos26

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Awesome! Thank you everyone for the feedback. It really helps put.
I am now more confident on pulling the trigger for the Moto X.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I am not much into taking pictures, but I think the camera is decent. It doesn't compare to my Nikon, but it isn't a horrible camera either. I think comparing this camera versus the iPhone would be like comparing a Mustang GT versus an Audi R8.B

From a Sprint Moto X on AC forums app.

androidatic

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I am not much into taking pictures, but I think the camera is decent. It doesn't compare to my Nikon, but it isn't a horrible camera either. I think comparing this camera versus the iPhone would be like comparing a Mustang GT versus an Audi R8.B

From a Sprint Moto X on AC forums app.

It seems like the hardware is there but I'm puzzled by Moto's inability to put a top-notch camera into their phones. Nokia, Apple and Samsung can do it and HTC is no slouch either. I just don't get it.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
It seems like the hardware is there but I'm puzzled by Moto's inability to put a top-notch camera into their phones. Nokia, Apple and Samsung can do it and HTC is no slouch either. I just don't get it.

I would guess to help keep the cost down. Remember, to buy this phone outright was more than $100 less than either the S4 and the One. Like anything else, in order to make it cheaper, something has to give.

androidatic

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I would guess to help keep the cost down. Remember, to buy this phone outright was more than $100 less than either the S4 and the One. Like anything else, in order to make it cheaper, something has to give.

But isn't the problem with the software? That's what I am reading anyway.

Although it could be Google. Nexus phones have never been known for their cameras.

wsrobert

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site

Although it could be Google. Nexus phones have never been known for their cameras.

Its definitely the software. On paper, the camera hardware is instep with anyone else in the game - apart from Nokia. The camera app just needs a few small tweaks to become a very capable shooter. As another poster mentioned above, in low light the X bumps the iso way too high. Shooting with an app like Camera Awesome allows for much better low light shots. A testament to so much of this being software related.

wsrobert

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site

Of course that's always the case (as I mentioned to another poster though, on paper the Moto x has the necessary hardware.). But the X could improve greatly still with some software tweaks to the camera app.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bluegarland692