12-14-2013 04:15 PM
142 1234 ...
tools
    Pretty interesting that most of the "improvements" suggested in this thread so far are iterative, spec-based, and go against the philosophy of optimization that Motorola has established...
    I was actually thinking the same thing.

A wouldn't be opposed to a slight bump in screen size and processing power, but only as much can be done without reducing the time off charger. But what I'd really rather see is battery improvements -- or whatever changes to the X8 chipset help -- to give the phone even better battery life. The camera needs some work, but hardware-wise that's kind of it in my opinion. Maybe as they expand the scope of touchless controls that will take some hardware revisions. Maybe sneak in IR as that's important to some, although it doesn't do anything for me.

I don't know where I fit in the spectrum of Android users. I certainly enjoy the games that I do play on the phone, but what I really need is something reliable and long-lasting, more in the vein of a business user. I almost get a quasi- BlackBerry vibe from the X in that regard, because for the first time I have a trust that even when I work until midnight and don't have convenient access to a charger I'll be OK. (With light use I regularly get over 24+ hours off charger, easily double of my Droid 4). I consider the X more of a workhorse and that is extremely valuable to me.
    sydneycooper1979 likes this.
    12-07-2013 04:49 PM
    1. 13 MP camera w/ more features
    2. SD card slot
    3. Kevlar option
    4. Bigger battery (at least 2600)

Posted via Android Central App
    12-07-2013 05:01 PM
    OIS camera, better sensor, bigger battery, same form factor, button on the side to snap pics with one hand.
    12-07-2013 05:38 PM
    Pretty interesting that most of the "improvements" suggested in this thread so far are iterative, spec-based, and go against the philosophy of optimization that Motorola has established...
    Boom.

12-07-2013 05:46 PM
    Somebody mentioned more color choices for the front..

Imagine a unibody Navy Blue Moto X? DAMN!
    bclenney, TechTinker and UJ95x like this.
    12-07-2013 05:55 PM
    Like everyone, a better camera with OIS and a bigger sensor. Full 1080 screen and wireless charging. Love the size and feel of the X but maybe stretch the screen to 4.95.
    Exactly what I was thinking!! Next year is gonna be awesome for smartphone buyers, can't wait!!

Sent from my XT1058 using AC Forums mobile app
    UJ95x likes this.
    12-07-2013 06:00 PM
    Wish List:
    (Not expectations)

Maybe bring the clock speed on the Krait's down to 1.5 GHz to further increase battery life (Nexus 7 style)
    Interchangable customization options (back plates, etc)
    1 device for all spectrum (or 2 like the Nexus 5) variations
    Full Size X2 and X2 Mini Options
    Even more contextual conversational touchless controls/Google Now integration (I want to talk to this think like it's C3P0 and have it understand, respond and engage)
    More carrier/country/region/size options available from day 1
    12-07-2013 06:35 PM
    Not that interesting tbh. Iirc when this phone was released it was mentioned that it wasn't for ppl like us. Maybe go ask your Mom what she would want and that's the target for the Moto X. Plus this is the NEXT version were talking about. Do you expect ppl to say leave it the exact same way but add some software tweaks? I think the Moto X is perfectly optimized, if they find some other software thing that is good then by all means I want that too.

I actually think it's more of a testament to what they have done so far with the software than the other way around.
    12-07-2013 06:46 PM
    Woodside said more backs/options are coming.

12-07-2013 06:54 PM
    My biggest suggestion for improvement is the camera quality. As in adding some more controls (maybe a advanced tab under the shake gesture option) and a real burst mode.

I think making the screen size a tiny bit bigger and sharper would be alright (don't mind it staying 4.75 tho). I would also like more color options for both the back and front.

12-07-2013 08:22 PM
    All I want is official NFL Logos/Colors
    Ry likes this.
    12-07-2013 08:53 PM
    All I want is the wood backs...is that too much to ask for..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
    12-07-2013 09:29 PM
    But they are better for marketing. Now if they wanna throw in a dual core snapdragon 805 I'd be game for that too, but its not like moto can just sit on its hands here. There will be a refresh and it will have a spec boost. No one said throw in a quad core and keep the software optimization off the moto x 2. Ideally you would have both!

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk
    12-07-2013 09:47 PM
    But they are better for marketing. Now if they wanna throw in a dual core snapdragon 805 I'd be game for that too, but its not like moto can just sit on its hands here. There will be a refresh and it will have a spec boost. No one said throw in a quad core and keep the software optimization off the moto x 2. Ideally you would have both!

The point is that, despite what the Moto X has proven with its "mid range" specs, you all are still completely enamored by numbers on a piece of paper. I only want a quad core processor if it contributes positively to the user experience, and provides seamless speed without compromising battery life.

Motorola did something no other Android OEM has done by being pragmatic and creative. If you want a spec beast, buy a Samsung. If you want to imagine what might be included on the Moto X2 (or whatever it's called), start thinking outside of your Newegg box.
    ETPhoneHomeT, Ry, UJ95x and 3 others like this.
    12-07-2013 09:51 PM
    The point is that, despite what the Moto X has proven with its "mid range" specs, you all are still completely enamored by numbers on a piece of paper. I only want a quad core processor if it contributes positively to the user experience, and provides seamless speed without compromising battery life.

Motorola did something no other Android OEM has done by being pragmatic and creative. If you want a spec beast, buy a Samsung. If you want to imagine what might be included on the Moto X2 (or whatever it's called), start thinking outside of your Newegg box.
    Personally I could care less about the number of cores. I bought a moto x so that should say as much. Arguably a quad core processor would be a more power efficient platform as it can run as a dual core when the others are not needed, or spread out the load among the other cores.
    I'm not really sure how you can say that wouldn't help the overall experience. They did an amazing job with their X8 architecture, but it can be improved, and adding more horse power is a part of that. To say anything else would be down right ignorant. They can't exactly throw the same exact chip in their next phone and expect it to sell well now can they?

VAYinzer and Eli_C like this.
    12-07-2013 09:58 PM
    Yes, but if adding more horse power causes a net loss in battery life, then they are going in the wrong direction. It'll be a fine line for them to walk to be sure. Of course there will be a bump in processor speed but the danger is if they push that too high making the overall experience worse instead of better.
    12-07-2013 10:21 PM
    I think the overall concept that the phone was based on is optimization. Most of the responses are sounding like a Samsung. So the point is that while everyone should expect a slight bump, theres no need for the latest, greatest processor to push a bunch of gimmicky rubbish or the highest screen resolution to make the battery suffer. No I think Moto knows exactly what they're doing and thats bringing a device with great user experience for every day people based on common needs and nothing they dont want. Marketing just needs to lay it out because there are millions of people ingnorant to the difference between high specs and optimization.

ETPhoneHomeT, VAYinzer and redeyss like this.
    12-07-2013 10:25 PM
    I don't really care about specs, but it needs to have at least a S805 CPU, 3GB of RAM, a 4k display, and it needs to out-benchmark the Galaxy S5 and HTC's next flagship.
    tnt118, grn4frk and UJ95x like this.
    12-07-2013 10:34 PM
    I just want Motorola to give me something great that I'm not really expecting--like what happened with the Moto X.
    ETPhoneHomeT likes this.
    12-07-2013 10:37 PM
    If I recall correctly, Anandtech's review of the X8 (and Nexus 7 2013) seemed to indicate that one of the weaknesses of the overclocked S600 (such as in the S4) when compared to the X8 version of the S600 was that the S600 was not consistently running at stride and it wasn't as adept at dynamically distributing tasks across cores.

Essentially, the Moto X quickly gets into it's green zone and stays there, while the S4 and One ramp up, ramp down, ramp up, ramp down, etc losing a lot of efficiency and, in the case of the higher clocked S4, creating a much greater fluctuation and prompting the inconsistent "stuttering" that people complain about. Basically, the third and fourth cores in the S600 create artifical limits on the productivity of the first two cores.

I don't know off the top of my head if this was solved in the S800. In the Moto X, the first core is almost always running at top speed, while the second core ramps up and down between 1GHz and 1.7GHz, with an affinity towards the top end.
    Ry, slg1906 and UJ95x like this.
    12-07-2013 10:38 PM
    I'd like the next one to have a bigger volume rocker button so it doesn't feel like the power button!
    12-07-2013 10:55 PM
    I wouldn't be surprised if Motorola keeps the form factor and just upgrades the screen/proc/camera. Seems like they nailed the form factor and not changing it would really help transitioning into customization of the X2. Just a thought.
    jephanie, UJ95x and redeyss like this.
    12-07-2013 11:11 PM
    go to 4.8" (very small increase) 1080p
    make camera a tiny bit better, not more MP, just better, like 5s camera.
    more color choices.

done.
    grn4frk and UJ95x like this.
    12-08-2013 02:58 AM
    sd card not going to happen... you can hope for 32 gb standard and 64 gb version
    I know, the thing is that I really don't like having everything trapped in the phone... What happens if it breaks and never starts?, that happened with my last phone (droid 2)...
    Luckily I could extract info from the SD card, so the loss was minimal...
    Unless I take frequent backup of the X, that could be an issue...

So, it is not the amount of storage the phone has, I do not have a great deal with it... The thing is that it's not removable...

Enviado desde mi XT1058 usando Tapatalk 2
    12-08-2013 07:18 AM
    I know, the thing is that I really don't like having everything trapped in the phone... What happens if it breaks and never starts?, that happened with my last phone (droid 2)...
    Luckily I could extract info from the SD card, so the loss was minimal...
    Unless I take frequent backup of the X, that could be an issue...

So, it is not the amount of storage the phone has, I do not have a great deal with it... The thing is that it's not removable...

Enviado desde mi XT1058 usando Tapatalk 2
    One mitigation technique or solution is to utilize free cloud storage options such as Google's AutoBackup photo service and Google Drive for just about any file that you want.
    12-08-2013 07:22 AM
142 1234 ...