Moto X-2: What Are Your Expectations?

tnt118

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Yes, but if adding more horse power causes a net loss in battery life, then they are going in the wrong direction. It'll be a fine line for them to walk to be sure. Of course there will be a bump in processor speed but the danger is if they push that too high making the overall experience worse instead of better.

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I think the overall concept that the phone was based on is optimization. Most of the responses are sounding like a Samsung. So the point is that while everyone should expect a slight bump, theres no need for the latest, greatest processor to push a bunch of gimmicky rubbish or the highest screen resolution to make the battery suffer. No I think Moto knows exactly what they're doing and thats bringing a device with great user experience for every day people based on common needs and nothing they dont want. Marketing just needs to lay it out because there are millions of people ingnorant to the difference between high specs and optimization.

Posted via Android Central App

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
I don't really care about specs, but it needs to have at least a S805 CPU, 3GB of RAM, a 4k display, and it needs to out-benchmark the Galaxy S5 and HTC's next flagship.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
If I recall correctly, Anandtech's review of the X8 (and Nexus 7 2013) seemed to indicate that one of the weaknesses of the overclocked S600 (such as in the S4) when compared to the X8 version of the S600 was that the S600 was not consistently running at stride and it wasn't as adept at dynamically distributing tasks across cores.

Essentially, the Moto X quickly gets into it's green zone and stays there, while the S4 and One ramp up, ramp down, ramp up, ramp down, etc losing a lot of efficiency and, in the case of the higher clocked S4, creating a much greater fluctuation and prompting the inconsistent "stuttering" that people complain about. Basically, the third and fourth cores in the S600 create artifical limits on the productivity of the first two cores.

I don't know off the top of my head if this was solved in the S800. In the Moto X, the first core is almost always running at top speed, while the second core ramps up and down between 1GHz and 1.7GHz, with an affinity towards the top end.

Sophos

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't be surprised if Motorola keeps the form factor and just upgrades the screen/proc/camera. Seems like they nailed the form factor and not changing it would really help transitioning into customization of the X2. Just a thought.

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
go to 4.8" (very small increase) 1080p
make camera a tiny bit better, not more MP, just better, like 5s camera.
more color choices.

done.

SandroidE

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
sd card not going to happen... you can hope for 32 gb standard and 64 gb version

I know, the thing is that I really don't like having everything trapped in the phone... What happens if it breaks and never starts?, that happened with my last phone (droid 2)...
Luckily I could extract info from the SD card, so the loss was minimal...
Unless I take frequent backup of the X, that could be an issue...

So, it is not the amount of storage the phone has, I do not have a great deal with it... The thing is that it's not removable...

Enviado desde mi XT1058 usando Tapatalk 2

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I know, the thing is that I really don't like having everything trapped in the phone... What happens if it breaks and never starts?, that happened with my last phone (droid 2)...
Luckily I could extract info from the SD card, so the loss was minimal...
Unless I take frequent backup of the X, that could be an issue...

So, it is not the amount of storage the phone has, I do not have a great deal with it... The thing is that it's not removable...

Enviado desde mi XT1058 usando Tapatalk 2

One mitigation technique or solution is to utilize free cloud storage options such as Google's AutoBackup photo service and Google Drive for just about any file that you want.

mattopotamus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I personally think it does need a little spec bump. Side by side with my nexus 5, it is noticeably not as smooth. I'm actually shocked at reviews saying they are virtually the same in that aspect. It doesn't lag, but it is not nearly as fluid

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I think the key to success here is:

1) Keep the form factor unchanged
2) Bump some specs up that won't change the user experience
3) Add "S" to the back of the name
4) Implement a marketing campaign that says "this is the best Moto phone ever"
5) Watch the sheep flock to the barn

(Yes, this is iSarcasm)

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so serious wish list for me:

1) Keep the form factor unchanged. It's perfect as it is
2) Increase the already awesome battery life
3) Improve camera even more
4) I'm fine with the screen's resolution, but maybe fine tune the white balance (make the whites whiter) and increase the brightness for outdoor visibility
5) Increase the awesomeness of the Active Notifications and introduce a couple more user experience tweaks (like they did with Active Notifications, camera twist, etc.)

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
One mitigation technique or solution is to utilize free cloud storage options such as Google's AutoBackup photo service and Google Drive for just about any file that you want.

That works for most things that matter (though I use Google for photo backup, I use Dropbox for other files.) I have a few apps that backup to SD card, so I would have the extra step of manually putting those backup files into the cloud.

It's going to be a bit of an adjustment for those of us currently with an SD card in their phone.

Of course, I am looking forward to the advantages of having more storage on-board.

I can't believe that Google just announced SD card support for Play Music now that I'm switching to the Moto x!

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Keep phone the same size.
Bigger battery
32GB available from launch for all
any performance upgrades or tweaks as long as it doesnt greatly affect battery life
not having 1080 isnt an issue
keep amoled screen

John Doe40

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Motorola will most likely bump up the CPU/GPU specs, which is nice, although still unnecessary - my Moto X feels "smooth" enough and can play games like Clash of Clans well enough. They might also increase the display size (and the size of the phone as well), but I hope they won't - the current one fits perfectly in my hand and the display size is enough for a smartphone (for everything else I have a tablet). They might also increase the display's resolution/pixel density, which would be appreciated for the times you need to read smaller text.

What I really would like to see is significantly improved camera because the current one is pretty bad - even after all of the latest updates it still overexposes everything, still makes pretty "noisy" images in low light and still gives "pinkish" hue to everything (all of my home PC's have calibrated monitors so all these flaws are immediately noticeable). The camera also needs optical image stabilization - it's very useful for making videos, Google ordered LG to implement it into new Nexus, they should do the same with Motorola.
Also, wireless charging - it is also a very useful and convenient feature and doesn't cost much to implement.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
I expect to be blown away...again.
I just watched the interview that Dennis Woodside did with NKOTB. At the end of the interview, Dennis asked a question-What would you like to see in the the next Moto X that nobody is talking about.
This showed me that Moto is committed to knocking our socks off by bringing us things we don't even know that we want. This is an exciting time for fans of Moto.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc