Moto X-2: What Are Your Expectations?

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
How would everyone feel if aluminum was used as the chassis material?
g2 cm10.2

As long as it didnt interfer with the Google Wallet app .(NFC)
Also maybe just an option,since everyone might not want and want to use custom backs like it is now.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
the X is not small. you guys and your 5" obsessions are crazy!!

Q10, HTC One, Nexus 7, Moto X

Exactly...it looks like next year I may have to buy an iPhone. I don't get the point of increasing screen size in every iteration. Pretty soon the S4 is going to be 5.2 and then what's the point in having the Note line? Hopefully one of the customizations of the X2 will be choice of screen size because I don't want anything bigger than it is right now.

I like that they're making bigger phablets for those that want it but I don't understand why the smaller ones are going away. Ppl bought Samsung phones when they were 4". The one handed use market is completely ignored except by pos super low spec prepaid devices. I unfortunately do not see a change coming in that regard either. They'll keep increasing it until we're all carrying iPad airs in our pocket.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
the X is not small. you guys and your 5" obsessions are crazy!!

Q10, HTC One, Nexus 7, Moto X

It's not an obsession. It's that our hands are bigger than most and while the X feels good in the hand, something slightly bigger (Not GS4 size) would be nice. At least make it an option

Posted via Android Central App

jerseykirby

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
1) Camera update (OIS, maybe 13mp)
2) 1080 screen (after always using a 1080 screen, I can tell the difference)
3) Bigger battery to compensate for the screen update
4) Quad core (not needed at all but nice to have)

BrewinginCO

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
The only thing that needs improving, IMHO, is the camera. It's pretty good in bright light, but the low performance not up to the task. I sure hope Motorola is focusing their efforts on the camera.

I've never experience slowness, so faster/more CPU cores are needed. I've always had plenty of RAM. I'm sure the next version will up atleast the CPU, which is probably wise to keep up with future software demands.

I'm also happy with the screen as is. I'd rather have the better battery life.

Also, I beg Motorola to not increase the size. This phone is the perfect size for me. Fits comfortably in my pocket, and easy to use 1 handed.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Exactly...it looks like next year I may have to buy an iPhone. I don't get the point of increasing screen size in every iteration. Pretty soon the S4 is going to be 5.2 and then what's the point in having the Note line? Hopefully one of the customizations of the X2 will be choice of screen size because I don't want anything bigger than it is right now.

I like that they're making bigger phablets for those that want it but I don't understand why the smaller ones are going away. Ppl bought Samsung phones when they were 4". The one handed use market is completely ignored except by pos super low spec prepaid devices. I unfortunately do not see a change coming in that regard either. They'll keep increasing it until we're all carrying iPad airs in our pocket.

They could probably still increase the screen size without increasing the size of the frame if they made the bezels even smaller. I would prefer something like a 4.8/4.9 inch screen

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Yes but just know that the X2 probably won't be released won't be released until Q3 2014, by which time the "high-end" probably won't even be the 805 (2.5 GHz Quad-Core) while the 800 will be "outdated" and "last year's SoC" which is what people were saying about the X8 when it released. Cameras will be 20+ MP, displays will be higher than 500 PPI, etc.
Asking for a quad-core, 1080p phone sounds like a spec-*****'s wish-list now but will be old by the time this phone is released so it won't seem like much to ask then
I fully expect whatever phone it is to pack "last year's chip" (probably the S800) in a similar design to the X8.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I fully expect whatever phone it is to pack "last year's chip" (probably the S800) in a similar design to the X8.

Same. Which is great if you ask me. Eventually we will get to a point where even the "low-end" phones will be good if were to go by today's standards

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

You still have the S3 and S4 mini and HTC One mini and the iPhone. There's still options for those that prefer a smaller screen.

gp8.3

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
You still have the S3 and S4 mini and HTC One mini and the iPhone. There's still options for those that prefer a smaller screen.

gp8.3

The S3 is 150 years old by now. The S4 mini and HTC One mini are not real phones, they're scaled down versions of their big brothers. They're only there to tap into that market, they didn't spend more than a weekend designing them and they're overpriced for what they are. The iPhone isn't an ANDROID choice. Basically the choice is to go low end, go phablet, or get an iPhone.

Edit - This is assuming X2 will increase phone size, because atm it's perfection size wise in my eyes.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
The S3 is 150 years old by now. The S4 mini and HTC One mini are not real phones, they're scaled down versions of their big brothers. They're only there to tap into that market, they didn't spend more than a weekend designing them and they're overpriced for what they are. The iPhone isn't an ANDROID choice. Basically the choice is to go low end, go phablet, or get an iPhone.

Edit - This is assuming X2 will increase phone size, because atm it's perfection size wise in my eyes.

What is it that the S4 mini and HTC One mini are lacking that would make them a bit more legitimate?

gp8.3

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
What is it that the S4 mini and HTC One mini are lacking that would make them a bit more legitimate?

gp8.3

They aren't actually mini versions of their namesake's. They have mid range specs in a case that looks similar to their bigger cousins. They both have Snapdragon 400 instead of 600, inferior cameras, lack features compared to the flagship's, and are jus generally inferior phones. It would be nice to see a small phone that was truly just smaller than the flagship it is based on.

Calling the S4 Mini and One Mini S4s and Ones would be like calling the Moto G the Moto X Mini. It has the same style as the X but lacks everything else that makes the X special.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
They aren't actually mini versions of their namesake's. They have mid range specs in a case that looks similar to their bigger cousins. They both have Snapdragon 400 instead of 600, inferior cameras, lack features compared to the flagship's, and are jus generally inferior phones. It would be nice to see a small phone that was truly just smaller than the flagship it is based on.

Calling the S4 Mini and One Mini S4s and Ones would be like calling the Moto G the Moto X Mini. It has the same style as the X but lacks everything else that makes the X special.

Very clearly explained. Thx.

g2 cm10.2

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

Well said thx. Imo they're built small to be budget devices, not for ppl who want a good device with a smaller footprint.

efmw113

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
  • A few more radios so that it is even more of a world phone - kind of like the Nexus5. I would love to be able to take advantage of some of the new LTE frequencies that Sprint is rolling out to have better reception indoors.
  • Better battery life
  • Small performance bump
  • Better camera
  • More customization options (more front-plate colors)
  • Less expensive (the market for off-contract phones in the US is only going to grow)

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site

Exactly! Thank you! The Moto X is the only mid-sized phone right now with any flagship features, memory size options, camera (at least intended to be flagship quality.)

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

thatguitarguy

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Beyond the normal iterative updates that will inevitably come, here are some more specific wishes.

1. A much, much, MUCH better camera. This is what is holding me back. I absolutely love the phone, but I use my phones camera for social media advertising, so it's nice to use an iPhone for this as it handles photos incredibly well and there is great app support for photo editing (the latter isn't completely in Moto's control). They should just go big or go home on the camera. It doesn't have to have the most megapixels, but it has to be fantastic at taking pictures.

2. 32GB BASE standard for memory. 16GB is silly in this times. If they offered a 64GB, I'd buy that one over the 32gb in a heartbeat.

3. A better battery is always preferred. This is the horse that everyone keeps beating and for good reason. While there is the Droid Maxx, it isn't the Moto X.

4. Sprint "Spark" support. I'm on Sprint and I want those bands. I don't think I really need to have this on a wish list because it'll likely come anyways.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm sitting on my couch and my TV isn't on the channel I want. My phone is right next to me but I don't see my remote. I would love to say "Ok Google Now, change channel to the NFL Network." and have it change the channel
Its kinda cold in my apartment, I'd love to be able to say "OK Google Now, raise the temperature by 5 degrees" And have it warm up.
My car had snow and frost on the windshield this morning. I have an app on my phone that will remotely start my car. I would have loved to just say "Ok Google Now, start my car" and have it start the car.
These are the things I want on the next Moto X. Things where my phone can actually make my life easier. It seems like the people responding in this thread don't have a clue what Moto X is about. All this spec talk is kinda nauseating. The X has never been about specs, its about an experience and a phone contributing to make your life easier. Why is it so hard for you guys to get it? All you seem to see is spec, spec, spec.
Dennis Woodside mentioned that Moto reads the tech blogs looking at what people like and don't like about the phone. Talking about specs ad nauseam isn't gonna make the next X a phone that makes life easier. Why don't you start thinking about what you want the phone to "do" not what you want it to "be." Maybe then we can come up with some real ideas that might just make it to the next X and help Moto with this mobile revolution that they're starting.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay