Moto X-2: What Are Your Expectations?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Talking about specs ad nauseam isn't gonna make the next X a phone that makes life easier. Why don't you start thinking about what you want the phone to "do" not what you want it to "be." Maybe then we can come up with some real ideas that might just make it to the next X and help Moto with this mobile revolution that they're starting.

Let me just make this larger and bolder, and maybe blue.

Talking about specs ad nauseam isn't gonna make the next X a phone that makes life easier. Why don't you start thinking about what you want the phone to "do" not what you want it to "be." Maybe then we can come up with some real ideas that might just make it to the next X and help Moto with this mobile revolution that they're starting.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm sitting on my couch and my TV isn't on the channel I want. My phone is right next to me but I don't see my remote. I would love to say "Ok Google Now, change channel to the NFL Network." and have it change the channel
Its kinda cold in my apartment, I'd love to be able to say "OK Google Now, raise the temperature by 5 degrees" And have it warm up.
My car had snow and frost on the windshield this morning. I have an app on my phone that will remotely start my car. I would have loved to just say "Ok Google Now, start my car" and have it start the car.
These are the things I want on the next Moto X. Things where my phone can actually make my life easier. It seems like the people responding in this thread don't have a clue what Moto X is about. All this spec talk is kinda nauseating. The X has never been about specs, its about an experience and a phone contributing to make your life easier. Why is it so hard for you guys to get it? All you seem to see is spec, spec, spec.
Dennis Woodside mentioned that Moto reads the tech blogs looking at what people like and don't like about the phone. Talking about specs ad nauseam isn't gonna make the next X a phone that makes life easier. Why don't you start thinking about what you want the phone to "do" not what you want it to "be." Maybe then we can come up with some real ideas that might just make it to the next X and help Moto with this mobile revolution that they're starting.

Notice that nobody said anything specific about the processor they wanted or how many MP it should have. We want increases that are to be expected from a successor to any phone. By the time this phone is out the SD800 will be an "average" or "outdated" processor. The people who care about specs will complain about how it doesn't have the 900 (or whatever it's going to be) just like people complained about this year.
The camera on this phone is less than spectacular so asking for a better one isn't wrong in my opinion.
Most posts were about better battery life or bigger screen size which would both be great if you ask me

Posted via Android Central App

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I see people here freaking out about increasing the size of Moto X.
I don't think anyone actually suggests increasing the size of X.... What people want is a bigger phone just like X. It'd be a different model selling next to X.
Think Droid Maxx with screen similar to GS4 (Nexus SW buttons) and packaged like Moto X (custom shells). Throw in a better camera and I'm sold.

DS1331

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand how motorola cant just make this camera awesome. it's a 10MP camera why can't they just make it better with software updates. I could care less I feel the camera is great and have never had an issue of quality with it

Q10, HTC One, Nexus 7, Moto X

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand how motorola cant just make this camera awesome. it's a 10MP camera why can't they just make it better with software updates. I could care less I feel the camera is great and have never had an issue of quality with it

Q10, HTC One, Nexus 7, Moto X

MP are probably the least important spec when talking about picture quality. If the sensor sucks, no amount of software updates could fix it

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
MP are probably the least important spec when talking about picture quality. If the sensor sucks, no amount of software updates could fix it

What baffles me is why can't they just buy the freaking good components. It's available, clearly. The price diff wholesale is pocket change and they'd sell FAAAAAR more phones with better camera so the extra pocket change they'd spend would be worth it. Reputation is worth way more

Last edited:

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
What baffles me is why can't they just buy the freaking good complements. It's available, clearly. The price diff wholesale is pocket change and they'd sell FAAAAAR more phones with better camera so the extra pocket change they'd spend would be worth it. Reputation is worth way more

Agreed. They're probably already saving money from using 720p panels and the S4 Pro. Why not use that money to make the cameras sensor better?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. They're probably already saving money from using 720p panels and the S4 Pro. Why not use that money to make the cameras sensor better?

I think the X8 costs more than the S600 does in the S4. On the BOM the X8 is $30, the S600 costs Sammy $20, while their custom Exynox 5 Octa is $30. Obviously the more customized and developmentally advanced processors are going to cost more.

Samsung spends $75 on their 5" SAMOLED screen (the one in the S3 was $10 more, while the 4.65" screen in the Moto X is $66. Samsung spends $5.50 per device more on cameras, an extra $0.95 on battery and the 16GB flash w/ 2GB RAM costs $7 more in the S4 than it does in the Moto X (LPDDR3 vs LPDDR2). Moto spends 150% of Sammy's expense on Power Mangaement and half of their expense on bluetooth/wifi hardware.

All in all, the parts costs seem to be fairly balanced, with one spending slightly more here, the other more there. Overall, the S4 costs Sammy between 233 and 236 prior to manufacturing costs, while the Moto X is on $213.65. That's offset somewhat by the manufacturing costs ($12 moto vs $8 Sammy), which ultimately puts these devices within $15-$20 of each other on a per device expense basis, prior to the marketing budget and shipping costs, etc.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Please don't go over 5 inches in the next iteration. My main reason for the Moto X was the screen size, my small hands can't handle the 5+ inch screens on other phones. If anything make an updated X8 system and try better battery life with more optimization, and if possible an updated display (biggest complaint of the Moto X by tech reviewers and others).

Posted Via VZW Moto X on the Android Central App

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think the X8 costs more than the S600 does in the S4. On the BOM the X8 is $30, the S600 costs Sammy $20, while their custom Exynox 5 Octa is $30. Obviously the more customized and developmentally advanced processors are going to cost more.

Samsung spends $75 on their 5" SAMOLED screen (the one in the S3 was $10 more, while the 4.65" screen in the Moto X is $66. Samsung spends $5.50 per device more on cameras, an extra $0.95 on battery and the 16GB flash w/ 2GB RAM costs $7 more in the S4 than it does in the Moto X (LPDDR3 vs LPDDR2). Moto spends 150% of Sammy's expense on Power Mangaement and half of their expense on bluetooth/wifi hardware.

All in all, the parts costs seem to be fairly balanced, with one spending slightly more here, the other more there. Overall, the S4 costs Sammy between 233 and 236 prior to manufacturing costs, while the Moto X is on $213.65. That's offset somewhat by the manufacturing costs ($12 moto vs $8 Sammy), which ultimately puts these devices within $15-$20 of each other on a per device expense basis, prior to the marketing budget and shipping costs, etc.

I'd gladly pay an extra $15 to $20 for a Moto X with a camera as good as the S4's camera.

Also, I'm glad you brought up the cost of the X8 vs. SD600. The X8 may be based on the SD S4, but it is not an SD S4, it is an X8.

Please don't go over 5 inches in the next iteration. My main reason for the Moto X was the screen size, my small hands can't handle the 5+ inch screens on other phones. If anything make an updated X8 system and try better battery life with more optimization, and if possible an updated display (biggest complaint of the Moto X by tech reviewers and others).

I think they should split the Moto X line in two for the next generation and offer two screen sizes. This would fit perfect with their custumization approach. Make one a one hand usable size, basically the same as the current, and make the other size phablet territory. Give me options of a 4.7" (or even 4.5" if they make the phone even smaller than it is now) and a 5.5". Heck, if they really wanted to offer customization options they could offer 4.5", 5", and 5.5" options for the next "X Series" devices.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Let me just make this larger and bolder, and maybe blue.

The two "specs" that people keep consistently wanting is better battery life and a better camera. I don't care how much easier my phone makes my life if it is dead when I want it. So better battery life advances the goal of the phone making your life easier. A better camera also advances that goal. When I had my HTC One, I would readily leave the house without my point and shoot. I had only used my point and shoot 2 or 3 times since getting the One in April. The One had a good enough camera that I could rely on it, even in low light. I cannot say the same of the Moto X. If I am leaving my house and am going somewhere that I am sure I will want pictures, I bring my dedicated camera now. Carrying one device makes my life easier, so the Moto X successor having a better camera would make my life easier.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
The two "specs" that people keep consistently wanting is better battery life and a better camera. I don't care how much easier my phone makes my life if it is dead when I want it. So better battery life advances the goal of the phone making your life easier. A better camera also advances that goal. When I had my HTC One, I would readily leave the house without my point and shoot. I had only used my point and shoot 2 or 3 times since getting the One in April. The One had a good enough camera that I could rely on it, even in low light. I cannot say the same of the Moto X. If I am leaving my house and am going somewhere that I am sure I will want pictures, I bring my dedicated camera now. Carrying one device makes my life easier, so the Moto X successor having a better camera would make my life easier.

Another thing though is having a smartphone with a decent camera (Moto X) already makes life easier for the average consumer looking at Android. Believe me when I say that the majority of people who I know got an iPhone wasn't because of the camera.

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Another thing though is having a smartphone with a decent camera (Moto X) already makes life easier for the average consumer looking at Android. Believe me when I say that the majority of people who I know got an iPhone wasn't because of the camera.

Camera is arguably the ONLY negative in every single review. Obviously many people read reviews before they make a purchase (even the non-technical ones). So the $$$ Motorola is trying to save here (I assume that's what they are doing, otherwise it's even more ludicrous) most likely drives people away from their brand. This is far worse than saving $3 on a phone. Just charge $3 more.... not one will even notice.

This whole camera thing just screams "unfinished product". And it's frustrating that such a simple component is the reason the phone isn't perfect.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Wow. Thanks for correcting me :)
I'm sure they could use those $15-20 to get a better sensor then hehe

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I expect that the next generation of processors (and possibly a die shrink) will let them drive a 1080p screen without sacrificing battery life. I think the X-2 needs to add one more killer feature tops (software-wise) and perhaps the smartest thing to do would be to expand the customization options to other exotic materials and more colors. If they decide to go with two sizes (I really think they just about hit the perfect size currently) then perhaps the smaller one (current size) could be aimed at a more midrange price at launch. That would let the Moto G cover the low end, and the two Moto X models to cover the midrange and flagship price points.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

The thing is, I do not think the Moto X's camera is decent though. It may be decent for a phone camera, but that is barely passable by camera standards. I have yet to take a picture with my X that I would describe as good, and I took good photos with my One quite regularly. For me, it is bad enough that I feel the need to carry a second device (a dedicated camera) when I am going somewhere that I want to make sure to have good pictures of. I haven't done that in a year and a half. Of course, I could very well be an outlier. I take camera's on phones very seriously. I nearly switched to Windows Phone instead of getting the Moto X just so I could have a Lumia 1020. I also seriously considered a Galaxy S IV Zoom.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I expect that the next generation of processors (and possibly a die shrink) will let them drive a 1080p screen without sacrificing battery life. I think the X-2 needs to add one more killer feature tops (software-wise) and perhaps the smartest thing to do would be to expand the customization options to other exotic materials and more colors. If they decide to go with two sizes (I really think they just about hit the perfect size currently) then perhaps the smaller one (current size) could be aimed at a more midrange price at launch. That would let the Moto G cover the low end, and the two Moto X models to cover the midrange and flagship price points.

Battery drain associated with screens really has nothing to do with how hard the processor is working, it is the sheer number of pixels and the increased backlight demands of the higher resolution. A 1080 screen has 2.1x as many pixels as a 720 screen. If one pixel and associated backlight (I do realize that the X in particular is AMOLED so backlighting is not a factor) takes 1 unit of energy to color and illuminate, then a 1080 screen will need to use 2.1x the amount of energy as a 720 screen, and that is before processor demand is even factored in.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Battery drain associated with screens really has nothing to do with how hard the processor is working, it is the sheer number of pixels and the increased backlight demands of the higher resolution. A 1080 screen has 2.1x as many pixels as a 720 screen. If one pixel and associated backlight (I do realize that the X in particular is AMOLED so backlighting is not a factor) takes 1 unit of energy to color and illuminate, then a 1080 screen will need to use 2.1x the amount of energy as a 720 screen, and that is before processor demand is even factored in.

I think he meant more in terms of performance than battery. If you have a weak processor pushing 2x the megapixels as it would be on a 720p screen then it won't be as smooth when scrolling through pages and screens

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Honestly I was skeptical of the current display after using an HTC One and seeing how beautiful that display is, but the 720 screen on the X is more than OK, its pretty good. I would be more than happy to keep the current display resolution if it means better battery life and faster performance. Add an OIS camera sensor and updated GPU and RAM and I'll be a happy camper.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Besides the obvious better processor, screen, camera, hardware, ect.

I want timing. I want the X2 to release along side the Galaxy S5 and next HTC flagship in the Spring. I want it to be an improved X with all the "faults" of the X corrected or improved with a moderate bump in general performance. This way they can drop the current X price to about $400 and have the X2 at the standard 600$. This way moto can have all ranges covered. The G is the low end. The X as the midrange. The X2 as the flagship latest and greatest.

A moderately improved X would make a LOT of sense on all fronts. Its could be similar enough to be run on existing manufacturing equipment with limited expense. The X would be the proof of concept while the X2 would be the fully realized vision of what moto wanted to accomplish. They could go head to head with Samsung and HTC in the prime season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781