12-09-2013 12:18 PM
76 1234
tools
    If that's your point, then I'm not sure why you were complaining in the first place. Were you not aware that Android OEMs do not have the same power with the carriers that Apple does?

You came in claiming that the Moto X isn't doing well, but without any actual proof. You only compared it to Apple -- without any specific, confirmed numbers -- and everybody knows that no one except Samsung can compare to Apple. To say that the Moto X isn't selling like the iPhones or Galaxy phones, well...wow. Newsflash.

Seriously. Nobody could reasonably expect the Moto X to turn the tide in their favor in such a short period. It seems, though, that you were expecting such a thing to happen.

Only Motorola and Google can really qualify how well the Moto X is doing because they're the only ones who know what the expectations are for the phone. I don't know exactly what they were expecting, but I'm pretty sure they weren't expecting it to sell like iPhones and Galaxy phones for reasons I stated earlier in the thread.
    Great post! Very well put.

I have ALWAYS loved Moto phones. I had the original Razr (not the Droid Razr) and then picked up the Droid Razr. It was from there I made the mistake of getting an iPhone. I then traded that for the GS3, which I will be selling as soon as Moto ships my X. I can't wait to get back to Motorola. Between the Motorola, iPhone and Samsung, my Moto had the strongest signal by far and the build quality was also better than the others. Now that Moto seems to have turned things around with their software and camera, I'm back on board.

I'm glad to see that they're turning things around.
    12-07-2013 08:09 PM
    It's very constructive. You have no idea what Moto actually sold since they haven't posted those numbers. Also he said 10s of thousands iirc and not 10,000. Plus this wasn't a fire sale since they will continue to sell at the normal price, it was just a sale and very unlikely that they made no profit from these sales. They aren't selling under cost like the $99 HP tab went for.
    Not only did he clearly say 10s of thousands, people need to keep in mind the price they sold the X's at on the sale ($150 off full retail) is roughly the same cost they sell them to the carriers. Moto really wasn't losing any revenue but was actually boosting it via increased sales. While Moto isn't exactly a startup, this is actually a smart way to get their devices in more peoples' hands to help get them back into the game. As long as they continue to produce solid devices that get such positive press from the tech sites and continue to refine their advertising, their market share will continue to grow. And based on the strategy of the X and the G, they are accounting for mistakes that have basically sunk HTC.

I'm already much more eager to see what Moto produces in 2014 more than any other manufacturer (Android, Apple or Windows).
    12-07-2013 08:30 PM

Bringing it back to the topic of the thread. The Moto X isn't selling well. They sold 10k on a fire sale.
    Wrong, wrong and wrong.
    First, it wasn't a fire sale. Saying that its a fire sale makes you sound clueless. It was just a regular, plain ol' sale. Almost every single company on the planet has them regularly.
    Secondly, Motorola reported that they sold 10s of thousands.Saying they sold 10k makes you sound clueless. You don't seem to understand what Moto is saying, even though they're saying it in plain English.
    Thirdly, Moto had a certain amount of phones that they wanted to sell(10s of thousands...even though you don't seem to know what that means). It took them approximately 10 minutes to sell that many. When a company sets a goal of a certain number of units to sell, and they reach that goal in 10 minutes, that means the product is selling well.Saying it isn't selling well makes you look clueless. They reached their goals, but you don't seem to understand the concept of a company setting, and reaching goals and how that determines what is selling well.
    If you want to know why people are attacking you, just look at your one post here. You posted one line and looked completely clueless 3 times over.
    12-07-2013 08:34 PM
    Wrong, wrong and wrong.
    First, it wasn't a fire sale. Saying that its a fire sale makes you sound clueless. It was just a regular, plain ol' sale. Almost every single company on the planet has them regularly.
    Secondly, Motorola reported that they sold 10s of thousands.Saying they sold 10k makes you sound clueless. You don't seem to understand what Moto is saying, even though they're saying it in plain English.
    Thirdly, Moto had a certain amount of phones that they wanted to sell(10s of thousands...even though you don't seem to know what that means). It took them approximately 10 minutes to sell that many. When a company sets a goal of a certain number of units to sell, and they reach that goal in 10 minutes, that means the product is selling well.Saying it isn't selling well makes you look clueless. They reached their goals, but you don't seem to understand the concept of a company setting, and reaching goals and how that determines what is selling well.
    If you want to know why people are attacking you, just look at your one post here. You posted one line and looked completely clueless 3 times over.
    I'm not the one saying it isn't selling well. The Wall Street Journal is. Maybe firesale was a bit much, I'll grant you that. Let's forget a loss leader sale for a moment and look at the bigger picture.
    12-07-2013 08:39 PM
    Wrong, wrong and wrong.
    Exactly! It obviously sold the allotment that they had established for the sale. If it hadn't there would still be codes left over from last Monday.

And how does anyone except Motorola know how WELL the X is selling? Just because it's not putting out Galaxy numbers doesn't mean it's not selling well. We have no idea what Motorola's target is/was.

A sale isn't always an indication of low sales. This is a great was to increase interest and generate some news thus pushing sales even further.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    12-07-2013 09:00 PM
    I'm not the one saying it isn't selling well. The Wall Street Journal is. Maybe firesale was a bit much, I'll grant you that. Let's forget a loss leader sale for a moment and look at the bigger picture.
    where are u seeing that its not selling well... if u are looking at 500k in Q3 then thats only 1 month sales not including when the price was dropped in october

it is not selling in millions but it is selling better than expected considering its only sold in latin america..

With 500K units shipped in Q3, Moto X is a success for Google and Motorola | Unwired View
    12-07-2013 09:03 PM
    Hmm. A website called "unwired view" or the WSJ. which should I trust? Tough question...

Listen guys, I'm on your side here. I want the Moto X to be a successful product. I hope it will be.
    12-07-2013 09:35 PM
    A website called "unwired view" or the WSJ. which should I trust? Tough question...
    Well, the Wall Street Journal compared the Moto X numbers to those of the Galaxy S 4.

How many times does it need to be pointed out that Motorola is nowhere near the level of Samsung and, thus, no one should be expecting those kinds of numbers from them?
    12-07-2013 09:41 PM
    Well, the Wall Street Journal compared the Moto X numbers to those of the Galaxy S 4.

How many times does it need to be pointed out that Motorola is nowhere near the level of Samsung and, thus, no one should be expecting those kinds of numbers from them?
    Alright. I guess if you consider the lumia a success, then we're all good.
    12-07-2013 09:44 PM
    That all depends on what Nokia and Microsoft expectations were for devices sold.

Sent from my Moto X
    jephanie and TheLibertarian like this.
    12-07-2013 09:50 PM
    It's not about what we consider a success. It's about what the company considers success enough to keep producing products. Moto made a phone some ppl want to buy, they may not have captured 10s of millions on it's first try out in their new direction. But unlike Nokia which is now dead, Moto has money to play with since they have the financial backing of one of the most successful companies around today.

This interview tells me that they're still working on improving and we haven't seen the last of product launches. I'll be sad if Moto goes the way of Google buzz, but it doesn't seem like its headed that way just yet.
    12-07-2013 09:53 PM
    I guess if you consider the lumia a success, then we're all good.
    Personally, I don't consider the Lumia at all. To me, it makes more sense to compare within the Android space and between Android and iOS because they're basically splitting the market.

The Unwired article has some problems--the numbers he's putting out don't make sense entirely (in one paragraph he's cites 1.4 million Nokias sold but in another he says "let's say, 1.2 million Windows phones")--but I agree with his assertion that Apple and Samsung are special cases and, as a result, people should really leave them out of the equation when discussing the success other OEMs are experiencing with their phones.

I mean, really. If Apple and Samsung are the barometer for success, then people should be saying that nobody is doing well.
    jephanie likes this.
    12-07-2013 10:00 PM

The WSJ is good for financial news and big news stories but when it comes to electronics they're pretty worthless.

I sometimes read their reviews of stuff like TV's, video games/consoles, etc and I can't believe how inaccurate they are and how little they know about this stuff.

12-07-2013 10:03 PM
    That means Apple is better.....because everyone knows the things that sell the most means it's the best. That is why I stick to buying Apple and Samsung, they have proven track records of being the best phones ever.

Q10, HTC One, Nexus 7, Moto X
    12-07-2013 10:56 PM
    Hmm. A website called "unwired view" or the WSJ. which should I trust? Tough question...
    There you go again. WSJ is the big name that does the big volume, so you imply they are automatically the best. Believe it or not, the WSJ can be incorrect and some little website that disagrees with them can be right, but you seem stuck on looking at whoever does the most volume and deeming anything else a failure.
    still1 likes this.
    12-07-2013 11:17 PM
    There you go again. WSJ is the big name that does the big volume, so you imply they are automatically the best. Believe it or not, the WSJ can be incorrect and some little website that disagrees with them can be right, but you seem stuck on looking at whoever does the most volume and deeming anything else a failure.
    BUSTED.
    12-07-2013 11:35 PM
    The WSJ is good for financial news and big news stories but when it comes to electronics they're pretty worthless.

I sometimes read their reviews of stuff like TV's, video games/consoles, etc and I can't believe how inaccurate they are and how little they know about this stuff.

Sales numbers don't count as financial news?
    12-07-2013 11:36 PM
    Look at this ac article:
    Android over 52% of the U.S. market as of October, Samsung still leads OEMs | Android Central
    The numbers are still old, but Motorola is the only android OEM that went UP. They might not be busting down doors, but their doing good.
    12-08-2013 12:48 AM
    Umm... I hate to rain on the parade but Apple sells 10k iPhones every few minutes.
    I work at Apple and own a moto x.
    12-08-2013 01:19 AM

Listen guys, I'm on your side here. I want the Moto X to be a successful product. I hope it will be.
    There's already a thread on that article, here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/mot...d-quarter.html

My post, on 11/12:
    Pretty skewed statistics considering:

- The phone was released in late August (Q3 ends in September)
    - It was only released in North America.
    - Motomaker was an AT&T exclusive until yesterday.
    - It wasn't marketed heavily until recently.

We'll see what the year-end sales reports have to say.
    Now, why would I be optimistic about Motorola sales? In that interview, Dennis Woodside said their site crashed because they weren't prepared for the level of demand and volume that was generated. Think about that for a second -- Motorola, the company that, by your estimates, is selling poorly, WASN'T
    PREPARED
    FOR
    SUCH
    HIGH
    DEMAND
    FOR
    THEIR
    PRODUCT.
    12-08-2013 02:27 AM
    Sales numbers don't count as financial news?
    Not when the overall discussion is about a topic on which they don't have expertise. Again, look at the WHOLE article. They fail from the very moment that they begin comparisons that shouldn't be made.

12-08-2013 06:16 AM
    Not when the overall discussion is about a topic on which they don't have expertise. Again, look at the WHOLE article. They fail from the very moment that they begin comparisons that shouldn't be made.

Ok, then.

Yay! The moto x exceeded expectations!

The phone's great; probably the best Android phone available. That's good enough for me.
    12-08-2013 06:49 AM
    Ok, then.

The phone's great; probably the best Android phone available. That's good enough for me.
    WOW a little light shined in..... lol

you know life is pretty good whenever we have nothing better to do than sit around and argue about phones . we are ALL PATHETIC !
    12-08-2013 09:14 PM
    Ok, then.

For what it was worth, your first few posts were constructive criticism to me even though I wrote the topic of this thread to show the progress of motorola and its future.

Posted via Android Central App
    torifile likes this.
    12-08-2013 10:41 PM
    you know life is pretty good whenever we have nothing better to do than sit around and argue about phones . we are ALL PATHETIC !
    For me, phones are just a hobby. There are worse hobbies to have, like stamp collecting.
    jephanie likes this.
    12-08-2013 11:00 PM
76 1234