I've owned nearly all of the high-end smartphones, here are my thoughts. (Hint: Moto X is best)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
That thing's HUGE, the guy got a phone call and I couldn't see his head when he put it to his ear lol. You probably have to squeegy the oil from your face off the thing after you talk on it. Hey, does it cost any extra to get the Moto Works custom back/trim thing, and can a standard Verizon dealer do that or only from Motorola's website?

lol. i was going to add in my post "i will die laughing the first time i see someone put that to their face" but then i thought, nah, no one would ever do that, they would just use headphones. lol. oh i wish i coulda seen that.

Motomaker site is the only place you can do the backs. But someone else will know about pricing.

Perhaps someone also has experience with the moto x trade up program with verizon and could share that. One of the phones to trade in for a $100 verizon credit is the motorola admiral which can be bought on ebay for about $15.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Note 3 guys sure are insecure. Maybe it is compensation ..

And the G2 owners. That's what I've noticed about those crowds, especially after the article was posted about how the Moto X is the best Android phone available right now.

They cannot handle anyone thinking their device or a similarly specced device isn't the best. Not at all.

Of course, I could mention that their phones need to be overpowered because TouchWiz and LG's UI are so bloated and crappy and they bog them down so much, but I won't.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
This thread is the most ridiculous thread I've seen in a long time. The bottom line is this. A few people have fallen in love with a medium spec phone for their own reasons. Cool, that's great.

sNXsVjt.jpg

Before I bought my LG G2 I was using a brand new Note 1. I bought it off ebay, still sealed in the box and I loved that phone. It had a dual core processor and 1GB of RAM. Was it cutting edge technology, no, but I still enjoyed using it. I'm sure the Moto X is a great phone BUT, it is not in the same league as the Note 3 or G2. To claim that it is is simply ridiculous.

PsvJqiR.jpg

Whether you like it or not, specs matter. Higher resolution screens, faster processors and larger batteries have always mattered, that hasn't changed.

AX2ezkU.jpg

If you are a Moto X fan, great, carry on, but arguing that it is somehow superior to the 1080p, Snapdragon 800 beasts with 3000+ mAh batteries makes you seem rather brainwashed.

X5ZFUnE.jpg

Last edited:

androidatic

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Why does it matter whether or not the press says one phone is or is not the best all around? Does that opinion make the phone somehow more enjoyable? Please explain. Some like the moto X some prefer the Note 3. I happen to have an Optimus G Pro and G2. I just never gave it any thought as to whether or not either one was thought to be the best all around. Suppose those in the press doing the judging have different criteria and priorities than I do.

gp8.3

It doesn't matter at all. It's just peculiar that and "medium spec" phone would be heralded like it is.

It's not more enjoyable because it's "best" is the "best" because it's more enjoyable.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure the Note 3 crowd is wowed by the specs, they're all about the big screen. My wife ditched her 4S for the bigger screen. She'll never touch the stylus and doesn't know all the camera modes, she just reads her email, txt, and browses with it. The Moto X sounds like my next phone. And BTW I saw some phone today that's bigger than the Note3, looked like a white Samsung (I didn't get a chance to ask him what it was). It was in some big plastic case and it looked about 4 inches wide! WTF was that thing? It was freaking huge. :'(

The Note 3 doesn't have any competition right now. It's a whole new category of phone where the competition is trying to compete on just size when they really need to compete with the S Pen.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
And the G2 owners. That's what I've noticed about those crowds, especially after the article was posted about how the Moto X is the best Android phone available right now.

They cannot handle anyone thinking their device or a similarly specced device isn't the best. Not at all.

Of course, I could mention that their phones need to be overpowered because TouchWiz and LG's UI are so bloated and crappy and they bog them down so much, but I won't.

they mad cuz they have to pick up their phone and knock on it if they want to check their notifications. lol. or set an alarm. or see the time. *thump thump* lol

zobog

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Lol I think some didn't do their research and fell for the specs equals better thing. If you're jealous of the X just sell yours and get one. You won't be disappointed.
Or wait for contract to expire and get the X 2. No sense hating on the Moto X forum to justify your choice. Relax it's just a phone after all.

Posted via Android Central App

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Brainwashed because I think a higher resolution screen, faster processor and bigger battery is better?? Seriously?? So mediocrity is the new awesome. Nice to know.

There's no shame in loving a dual-core, 720p, 2200 mAh phone!!. Embrace your mediocrity.

Er, seriously? The important thing is what specs allow us to do. You don't love a screen because its higher res, you love it because text and pictures are super sharp and easily readable. You don't love a faster processor because it benchmarks better, but because it allows the OS to run faster, smoother, and more stable. You don't love a bigger battery because it has more milliamps, you love it because it gives you longer battery life.

Well guess what, the Moto X gives you those things, but it does it through software optimization rather than pure hardware specs. I currently have BOTH a Note 3 and Moto X, and the X had the Note beat in performance and ties in battery life. The screen clarity is also mostly the same with a slight edge to the Note.

Plus, other than CPU and screen res, where else in the spec sheet is this a midrange device? The GPU is the same one found in the galaxy S4 and HTC One, same with the 2gb ram and flash storage. And even the CPU and screen res are slightly higher "spec'ed" than true midrange devices.

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
That thing's HUGE, the guy got a phone call and I couldn't see his head when he put it to his ear lol. You probably have to squeegy the oil from your face off the thing after you talk on it. Hey, does it cost any extra to get the Moto Works custom back/trim thing, and can a standard Verizon dealer do that or only from Motorola's website? Seriously, marketers find that if they give you 3 options you're more likely to pick the middle priced one, if they give you 2 you tend to pick the cheapest. So the Mega might be a way for Sammy to sell the Notes to more people. Maybe. And when's the X2 due out?

Ha, that may be the reason. I actually tried the mega out for a couple of days, but returned it because it was just too big to do anything comfortably other than watching videos. And yes, I got the Note 3 afterwards and it felt so small and pocketable in comparison.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Moto X fans, you love the little phone with the slow processor, little battery and outdated screen!! Great. Quit trying to justify that love by claiming that high end specs don't matter. It makes you look delusional.

QY7jPte.jpg

jaj324

Banned
Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Ha, that may be the reason. I actually tried the mega out for a couple of days, but returned it because it was just too big to do anything comfortably other than watching videos. And yes, I got the Note 3 afterwards and it felt so small and pocketable in comparison.

I had the Note 3 for a week. It never seemed to big. It is a very manageable size. The Mega is too big and the 1520 I'm using right now is very close to being too big.

Status
Not open for further replies.