radio strength compared to GS3 or Iphone

androidatic

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Samsung generally have the worst radios of Moto, HTC and LG phones. I've had 2 Galaxy S3's, and friends with Galaxy Nexus and S4 all have bad reception at my house. My family with iPhone get great reception and my old Moto Razr did too.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Tysonsaurus

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Can you download the speedtest app and compare that? If not, I will do it tomorrow when I get my Moto X. The app uses data so if you don't have unlimited be aware of that.

I can do it tonight when the old lady gets home from work...the moto x is hers.

Posted via Android Central App

jthead

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Get the Moto.

I had signal issues out of the box with my first S4. First let me say I LOVE the phone. The menu structure and camera are the best.

90% of my use of my phone use is in a rural area, so good signal strength is the most import thing.

Verizon has replaced my Galaxy S4 three times in the last 4 months in an attempt to get a phone with good reception. I have sat side by side with other Verizon customers who were using their phones(motorolas) for calls and for data, yet I had NO signal. I could not make a phone call, send a text or use any data. This has become a constant problem with the S4. It has been the exact same on all three S4 phones. Can anything be done to increase reception?

I am trying very hard not to knock the phone. I absolutely love the menu structure. The menu structure and the camera is why I chose the S4. They are the best out there! Unfortunately, I will not be able to use them and I will have to settle for less.

The last straw. I also have a Verizon MiFi hotspot. I was sitting with Verizon friends who were making calls, texting and surfing the internet (they each had 2 bars of signal strength showing). I had ZERO bars of anything. I turned on the MiFi and it had 4 bars of signal. I connected my S4 to the MiFi via wireless and made my calls using Skype & Magic Jack!! Since then I have noticed that my MiFi will have 4-5 bars when the S4 has 1 or none??

I tried real hard to stay with the S4, but its lack of reception forced me to a different manufacturer's device. I am now on my 4th phone in 5 months. I regretfully traded in my S4 for the Motorola Maxx. Now, I have signal in areas that I had none on the S4. I am able to use my phone now, but I do miss the S4 for its features. The menu, camera and just plain basic functionality on the Maxx is no where as nice as on the S4, but I can make calls where I could not with the S4. Besides being able to use the phone, the battery is the only thing the Maxx has the S4 beat at.

If there is nothing that can be done for an S4, it there a different model Samsung with great rural reception that has a similar menu structure and camera?

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
On a recent trip to relatives who live in a signal-challenged area, both of my family's iPhones were unable to get mobile data. I'm not sure I would have even known there was an issue on my Moto X. I bounced down to 3G a few times, but was on 4G mostly. After they told me they couldn't get signal, I remembered having some issues on the GNex when I had it out there last.

The radios in this are one of the main reasons I bought.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Can anything be done to increase reception?
Nothing could be done to fix the GNex so I doubt it. I went through 5 of them. Same signal problems with all of them.

If there is nothing that can be done for an S4, it there a different model Samsung with great rural reception that has a similar menu structure and camera?
The GNote3 would be the next thing to try. I have one and my signal is no better than with my GNex but maybe it is a defective GNote3?

You could try the LG G2 or HTC One if you don't want to stick with Moto.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Everyone, I guess I just need to decide whether I get the 16 GB or 32 GB version. Thanks for all the great responses.

32! The price difference isn't great and if you resell you'll probably get half of that back. Def. 32 so you can keep half your storage empty for optimal performance. Well, if you ever put music or video on your phone. : ).

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Just wanted to report back. The moto X is working great. I can hold a call without dropping a signal or having any of it break up in 2 places where with the GS3 would drop the call and break up constantly. Thanks again for all the feedback.

Crimsonforce

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone new member here. I love android and love my new moto x. I've always had android, started off with droid eris, then droid x, then galaxy nexus, iPhone 5s, and now moto x. I tried iOS with the iPhone 5s and it just wasn't for me so I got a moto x on the cyber Monday deal. Mine is white front and crimson back(roll tide). As far as signal strength, Moto's have always been great and so is the moto x. Compared to the iPhone 5s its honestly about the same. The 5s had a great radio IMO. Moto may be slightly better but not a big difference. I've had my moto x for about a week now and love it. Best android phone I've ever used :)

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Had a bunch of dropped calls last night in my "known trouble area" on Verizon using my Moto X. The 4G LTE speeds I was getting on my Moto X last night were considerably better than the Samsung GNote 3, though.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol