Moto X on Verizon

curley1441

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Just ordered my X on Verizon and it said keep existing data plan does that mean their is a loop hole for unlimited or will it make me choose a new plan when I activate it . Also if I activate it on another line frist wou;d i be able to keep my unlimited data .

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Just ordered my X on Verizon and it said keep existing data plan does that mean their is a loop hole for unlimited or will it make me choose a new plan when I activate it . Also if I activate it on another line frist wou;d i be able to keep my unlimited data .

Did you use a subsidized upgrade or buy it outright? Typically we can keep unlimited by transferring the upgrade to another line (that is not unlimited) (we'll call this line B), activating the new phone on line B, reactivating the old phone that was on line B, activating the new phone on the unlimited line. Anything that is outside of that process, I can't say if it'll try to push unlimited or not. If you were not prompted to select a data plan, you *could* be in the clear, however it might also assume a 2GB plan, in which case you'll have to call customer service to work it out.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
If you used an upgrade from your unlimited data line on the unlimited data line, you will be automatically switched to the 2GB data plan when you activate the phone no matter which line you activate it on first.

If you have another line available on your family plan with tiered data or a basic phone with no data, you transfer your unlimited data line's upgrade to the tiered or no data line and then do the upgrade on the tiered or no data line and activate on the tiered or no data line, then switch the new phone to the unlimited data line. If the line has no data on it, you will have to pick a data plan when you activate it on that line but that data plan drops off when you put the basic phone back on the line.

Go to the verizon forum on this website for instructions on how to do this.

Return the phone you just ordered and follow the instructions if you have a tiered or no data line on the same account as your unlimited data line. Returning the phone you just ordered will restore your upgrade on your unlimited data line if that was the line the upgrade came from. Then you can transfer the upgrade once it is restored.

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Where did you order from?

Verizonwireless.com? Motorola/Moto Maker?

curley1441

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I canceled the order until I find out if I can still transfer my upgrade to another phone to keep my data

Sent from my AT100 using AC Forums mobile app

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Last edited:

Jaingo5150

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Go into your local Verizon store and instead of getting a 2gb plan, they will move you from unlimited to 6gb. Can only be done in store and costs same as the 2gb.

Posted via Android Central App

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Go into your local Verizon store and instead of getting a 2gb plan, they will move you from unlimited to 6gb. Can only be done in store and costs same as the 2gb.
But why would you do that when you can keep unlimited data AND get subsidized upgrades if you have a family plan with at least one line that has tiered data on it or a basic phone to transfer upgrades to?

Also, the 6GB data max plan, they will try to put you on the Edge program. I know if you have unlimited data you do not have to go on the Edge program to get the 6GB data max plan, but the reps will try to do it unless you come prepared to argue with them.

Last edited:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
If you're starting from scratch, do the math and see if it's worth it to use the upgrade (keep unlimited method) to buy an iPhone 5s and ebay/swappa or otherwise sell it and then buy the moto x outright with the proceeds, pocketing the difference. If it's not a huge win, move on... but it's something to consider.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
If you're starting from scratch, do the math and see if it's worth it to use the upgrade (keep unlimited method) to buy an iPhone 5s and ebay/swappa or otherwise sell it and then buy the moto x outright with the proceeds, pocketing the difference. If it's not a huge win, move on... but it's something to consider.
Here's the math with the current Moto X code:

iPhone 5s is on sale at BestBuy for $150 + tax thru tomorrow. Use the upgrade to buy it. If you can get $550 by selling the iPhone after paypal, listing and shipping fees, that means you net $400 - tax for the iPhone.

Buy moto maker Moto X for $350 + tax with the current code. So depending on how much he can sell the iPhone 5s for and how much the tax is, he may make money off of the deal or at least break even, which is better than paying Verizon $100 + tax for the Moto X.

I didn't factor in the upgrade fee because if he used the upgrade to buy the Moto X from Verizon in the first place, he would pay the upgrade fee so the upgrade fee is a wash.

Please note that you can only do the transfer of the upgrade through Verizon, BestBuy or Costco without paying a secondary ETF when you switch the new phone onto your unlimited data line. Again, I refer you to the thread in the Verizon forum for detailed instructions on how to do this.

Last edited:

curley1441

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
OK I've been on the Verizon thread and they are not sure about this my unlimited line has an upgrade I don't want to loose that .If I go online and try to transfer the upgrade which I can cause I tried it with another phone and keep my data, but with motomaker it only let's me use my number for the build can I just go and order it and put it on my sons 4gig tired line then switch it to mine and keep my data. Thank in advanced

Sent from my AT100 using AC Forums mobile app

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae