Nexus 4 to Moto X

ethertwist

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I apologize in advance if this has been done to death, but I did a search and it didn't yield anything similar in this forum.

I'm curious to read the experiences of those who have replaced their Nexus 4 with the Moto X. Is there anything that you miss or don't miss about the N4 in comparison to the Moto X, whether it be form factor, camera, call quality, speed differences: processor or LTE vs. HSPA, screen: AMOLED vs. IPS, etc.

Thank you!
:)

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
In my opinion the only place the n4 had the X beat is development options. And personally I prefer the notification led over active notifications, but I'm probably alone on that ;-)

Otherwise X beats n4 on every front imo.

Sent from my XT1053

ethertwist

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Thanks! I kind of like LED notification lights too, but I haven't experienced the active notifications yet so my opinion might change.

I've held my N4 alongside an X and I was kind of shocked that there was such a noticeable size difference even though the screen size is virtually the same. Having originally come from an iPhone 4s, I definitely appreciate the hand friendly form of the Moto X.

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! I kind of like LED notification lights too, but I haven't experienced the active notifications yet so my opinion might change.

I've held my N4 alongside an X and I was kind of shocked that there was such a noticeable size difference even though the screen size is virtually the same. Having originally come from an iPhone 4s, I definitely appreciate the hand friendly form of the Moto X.

As the above poster stated, unless you like flashing roms/development the x is better.

That being said. There is not a lot of difference in the two devices performance wise. To me it's more of a lateral move.

I would consider a Nexus 5 if you are wanting a step up.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

ethertwist

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
As the above poster stated, unless you like flashing roms/development the x is better.

That being said. There is not a lot of difference in the two devices performance wise. To me it's more of a lateral move.

I would consider a Nexus 5 if you are wanting a step up.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Thank you! I really like the N5, but it's a bit too big for my taste. I tend to prefer a phone in the 4" range rather than 5".

grooks

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Nexus 4 - 133.9mm x 68.7mm x 9.1mm

Moto X - 129.3mm x 65.3mm x 10.4mm

iPhone 5/5S - 123.8mm x 58.6mm x 7.6mm

orangezebra

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I just moved from a nexus 4 and while I mostly prefer the moto x there are a couple of things I miss from the 4.

The biggest one (which is still small) is that I love the way the screen curves over the side of the 4, motox looks like it would be that way, but there is a tiny lip.

Performance is very similar, although the x seems to multitask quicker and games run a little better. The x also doesn't get all hot like the 4 does.

The screen on the x is gorgeous, every time I move from my tablet or 4 to the x I'm reimpressed.

Battery life is better while in use by a lot, however the 4 seems to have better idle battery on Wi-Fi. When I'm not using the phones the 4 will outlast the x, but as soon as I leave the house that switches really quick.

Even though the 4 has a premium feel, it always felt a little wide carrying it out and about. The grip you can get on the x inspires much more confidence. Also the back never feels cold. It's really the ideal phone size.

Active notifications are the best thing ever. You almost never need to use the unlock button.

Even though the camera on the x is a bit hit or miss, it's way better than the 4.

Reception is better on x.

The sound from the phone speakers is way better on the x and the headphone out is also way better. X is the first phone to surprise me with its sound quality (for such a small speaker).

Hope that helps.

Posted via Android Central App

ddot196

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I can honestly say there isn't one thing that I miss from the n4 now having the moto x. Literally nothing. Everything is improved. I actually updated my n4 today to kit kat and I sat there for a bit just comparing the screens...wow does the n4 seen extremely washed out.

ethertwist

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I just moved from a nexus 4 and while I mostly prefer the moto x there are a couple of things I miss from the 4.

The biggest one (which is still small) is that I love the way the screen curves over the side of the 4, motox looks like it would be that way, but there is a tiny lip.

Performance is very similar, although the x seems to multitask quicker and games run a little better. The x also doesn't get all hot like the 4 does.

The screen on the x is gorgeous, every time I move from my tablet or 4 to the x I'm reimpressed.

Battery life is better while in use by a lot, however the 4 seems to have better idle battery on Wi-Fi. When I'm not using the phones the 4 will outlast the x, but as soon as I leave the house that switches really quick.

Even though the 4 has a premium feel, it always felt a little wide carrying it out and about. The grip you can get on the x inspires much more confidence. Also the back never feels cold. It's really the ideal phone size.

Active notifications are the best thing ever. You almost never need to use the unlock button.

Even though the camera on the x is a bit hit or miss, it's way better than the 4.

Reception is better on x.

The sound from the phone speakers is way better on the x and the headphone out is also way better. X is the first phone to surprise me with its sound quality (for such a small speaker).

Hope that helps.

Wow!...Thank you so much for this awesome response.

You mentioned a few things that have always bugged me about the N4. The first being how hot the device gets with heavy use. If not for a case, it would be too hot to hold at times when playing a game. While I love the overall design of the N4 and the really elegant pixelated glass back (a beautiful feature!), it is a bit wide and of course fragile.

I like the idea of not having to hit the power button everytime I want to awaken the phone, so I'm looking forward to those active notifications and always listening mode. The one thing I like about iPhones and Samsung phones is that they have home buttons as well as power buttons so that one single button isn't getting overused (as silly as that sounds).

Last and certainly not least for me, the call volume on the N4 really sucks and seems interminably low. I'm one of those that really needs the phone to function as a phone so better call quality is a REAL selling point for me about the X.
:)

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
A step up? In what way, besides specs, as the N5 certainly is not going to out-perform it.

Yes a step up in specs is what I meant. I know the X performs as well as most anything available, but I would still give the edge to the N5 as far as being more future proof.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I say go with the moto x. It has exceeded my expectations for a device and I really disliked my Nexus 4. Trust me there is nothing you will miss about your N4. The only exception as others have said is the rooting and development for the nexus 4.

Sent from my bada$$ Nexus 5

ethertwist

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
The only exception as others have said is the rooting and development for the nexus 4.

I'm clueless when it comes to all things root so by default, it's all stock for me. I originally got the Nexus 4 because of the price, the design and the fact that it was vanilla android without carrier bloatware (all things I appreciate about the Moto X as well).

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm clueless when it comes to all things root so by default, it's all stock for me. I originally got the Nexus 4 because of the price, the design and the fact that it was vanilla android without carrier bloatware (all things I appreciate about the Moto X as well).

This will fit the bill! Very smooth, optimized and very little bloat (I am on ATT).

jeremmar

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I have had some problems with the phone of the moto x. I liked the nex 4 phone better, mainly because I could adjust the pixel size. But on the moto x , my text pictures come across blurry to those I send an MMS to. The size of the picture is 2 megabytes or so.... Why can't it take a large mega pixel shot? The nexus 4 could take 8 megapixels. Pretty frustrated over the moto x camera. Any suggestions?

BlackedOutLT1

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
I have had some problems with the phone of the moto x. I liked the nex 4 phone better, mainly because I could adjust the pixel size. But on the moto x , my text pictures come across blurry to those I send an MMS to. The size of the picture is 2 megabytes or so.... Why can't it take a large mega pixel shot? The nexus 4 could take 8 megapixels. Pretty frustrated over the moto x camera. Any suggestions?

It takes a 10MP photo. MMS doesn't send very large pictures.

jeremmar

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
The pics look fine on my moto x, but when I MMS them to others it looks horrible. (When I email the pic it looks great, not grainy at all). I took a pic of a page of a book, which you can see clearly on the moto x, and text it and the other person cannot even read a single word because it is so grainy. Pathetic ... There must be some way to fix this?? Anyone else seeing this? Look at a MMS from your moto x on the receivers phone