Is it allowed?

Unrooted.

How do you do it?

My research says it can be done using a third party app legally. I havent actually tried it.
    12-11-2013 01:56 PM
    Is it allowed?

Unrooted.

How do you do it?

My research says it can be done using a third party app legally. I havent actually tried it.
    Wifi Hotspot should be included in your plan. At least in any of the newer plans it is. "Mobile Hotspot CAPABLE - Use your capable smartphones and tablets as Wi-Fi hotspots at no additional cost."
    So it should work without any apps downloaded, unless maybe you had an old plan without the unlimited talk and text? Someone else would have to confirm that.
    12-11-2013 04:20 PM
    If you are on a Share Everything, wifi hot spot is included. It just eats from your data bucket.

If you are on a pre-share everything plan with 2gig tiered data, then tethering maybe an "add-on" option for your plan with a fee.
    12-11-2013 08:36 PM
    Thanks guys. My question was for my wife's phone. She is on a 1.5 year old Tiered Plan. We're not on a share everything plan as I still have Unlimited. Sounds like we have to move to share everything to get her a free hotspot, root her phone, or pay for it. bleh. not great options
    12-12-2013 06:38 AM
    I used to use FoxFi, not sure if that still works well or not. I think my brother still uses it. Maybe give it a try. Haven't tried it on my Moto X yet, I used it on my GNex before I started using custom ROMs that had working hotspot already.
    12-12-2013 08:24 AM
    Thanks guys. My question was for my wife's phone. She is on a 1.5 year old Tiered Plan. We're not on a share everything plan as I still have Unlimited. Sounds like we have to move to share everything to get her a free hotspot, root her phone, or pay for it. bleh. not great options
    Consider the costs as the new share everything can be expensive, or more expensive than just adding tethering (used to be $30 per month for 5gig tethering).

- - - Updated - - -

I used to use FoxFi, not sure if that still works well or not. I think my brother still uses it. Maybe give it a try. Haven't tried it on my Moto X yet, I used it on my GNex before I started using custom ROMs that had working hotspot already.
    FoxFi doesn't work on KitKat. But does work fine on an unrooted X with 4.2.2
    12-12-2013 10:42 AM