MOTO-X...... Definitely not what I expected

Status
Not open for further replies.

androidatic

May 7, 2010
Visit site
There are probably 200,000,000 iPhone owners that would disagree. No other phone can claim that kind of ownership numbers.

You can't compare numbers like that. There is only one iPhone model (OK, now there's two) but tons of different Android phones. I believe that Android is outselling iOS at this point. If not it's awful close and iOS had a nice lead too.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
You can't compare numbers like that. There is only one iPhone model (OK, now there's two) but tons of different Android phones. I believe that Android is outselling iOS at this point. If not it's awful close and iOS had a nice lead too.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Android sells more. Apple sells more than any Android OEM

Posted via Android Central App

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I knew the camera sucked and that it is a small device, but I didn't expect the screen to be sub-par also. The scene is bright, but video playback sucks.
I don't use phone cameras, much, so I'm not a great judge, but I've been pleasantly surprised by the photo quality. It seems to handle weird lighting a lot better than my prior phone. And I quite like the screen. I knew it wouldn't be as gorgeous as my husband's Galaxy, but it's nicer than I expected it to be.
Definitely not worth it! especially since u can get a Nexus 5 for the same price.
To each their own. The Nexuses seem to have more hardware troubles than a lot of other phones, at least among my friends. Since you only seem to keep a phone for a few months, that shouldn't be a problem for you, but I keep them 2-3 years, and want something that will hold up.

Being able to customize it isn't what it's cracked up to be if u really take the whole process into consideration. U can only chose 2 colors for the front bezel, a few colors for the accents and having a signature or writing on the back of the phone will decrease the resale value.
I mostly agree with you. I customized it because, what the hey, why not, but I was underwhelmed by the options. I'm not worried about the resale value, though, because I keep phones long enough that they don't have much resale value anyway. And I thought it would be nice if the back had my email address -- I know a couple of people who have found misplaced phones, and had trouble contacting the owner.

And lets face it, half of us will be selling this thing when the S5 comes out.
You will. :) I'd guess that many fewer than half the buyers will do that, however.

The design is excellent, but way to small for my hands. Also, it's a heavy phone, way heavier than the Nexus 5.
You must have large hands. Or hold phones very differently than I do. I find the Moto X a tad large, but okay. As I mentioned above, I bought it for its size.

The always listening feature on the phone is good, but since we live in the real world and lock our phones, it won't work the way u want it to.
Can you explain this a little? what can't you do, and what locking do you use? I haven't bothered to lock my phone, yet, and maybe I won't if it messes up the features.

The battery life is sick, but at what cost?

I figured that the pros will out-weigh the cons, but I was totally wrong.

U guys out there still waiting for ur device to be shipped... do yourself a favor and cancel! get the Nexus 5 instead.
Different strokes for different folks.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
And I thought it would be nice if the back had my email address -- I know a couple of people who have found misplaced phones, and had trouble contacting the owner.
Never thought about that, great idea :D

Can you explain this a little? what can't you do, and what locking do you use? I haven't bothered to lock my phone, yet, and maybe I won't if it messes up the features.

I think he means that if you lock the phone with a PIN/Pattern, it makes the active notifications useless since you'd have to put in our passcode anyway. If you were planning on doing this, there's the Trusted Bluetooth option which will bypass the lock if any of your BT devices are within range; or apps like Unlock with WiFi (no need to explain this one)

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. I don't own any blue tooth devices, but that might be a reason to do so. Or, maybe I just won't lock the phone.

for the email addy to the person who finds your phone, i think the motorola lost app thingy, or at least other apps do, allow you to send a msg to the front page of your phone if it's lost. Not a perfect solution, but there ya go.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
for the email addy to the person who finds your phone, i think the motorola lost app thingy, or at least other apps do, allow you to send a msg to the front page of your phone if it's lost. Not a perfect solution, but there ya go.
yes, there are lots of solutions to this problem. But just having the address printed on the back seems simpler and more reliable.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site

this feature is built into the stock Jelly Bean and above but here is an alternative -

Dashclock Ownership Extension
Mridang Agarwalla - November 12, 2013
Productivity

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...details?id=com.mridang.owninfo&token=fHLR7jKQ

blacksapphire08

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm still waiting on mine to ship, but i've played around with my gf's a bit and it's not what I was expecting either. I heard a lot of great things about build quality but my initial impressions are that it's kinda middle of the road, materials could be better but it feels solid. After playing around with the camera's surprisingly limited settings I have to agree that it's a huge let down. My current phone (HTC Amaze) blows it away in picture quality and its only 8MP compared to the X's 10MP, not to mention plenty of settings to play with for optimal quality. Other than that i'd say the phone is pretty awesome. It's VERY quick and the screen quality is better than my Amaze and Nexus 7. Not super excited about the AMOLED since I think they tend to over saturate the colors. Overall, definitely worth $350 IMO. I would have gone with a Nexus 5 but battery life is important to me.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
OK thanks. But a lot of people then use a case, which sort of hides the phone back (I have never used one of the shell cases). And hardly anybody roots their phones anymore, that was big like 2-3 years ago for Android. Now you shouldn't have to unless you can't stand the bloatware apps.

Ten's of millions of rooted devices says you don't know what you're talking about. There's just as many reasons to root today as there was 2-3 years ago, and will still be as long as there are smartphones. Complete control over the hardware/software, performance and huge battery improvements, and root only apps tend to be the most useful/powerful apps available...that's a good start.

Central n ohios best

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Ten's of millions of rooted devices says you don't know what you're talking about. There's just as many reasons to root today as there was 2-3 years ago, and will still be as long as there are smartphones. Complete control over the hardware/software, performance and huge battery improvements, and root only apps tend to be the most useful/powerful apps available...that's a good start.

This

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape running 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2 (Central n Ohio Austin IL)

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I agree about the bloat, but if it's a Aluminum S5 it will blow every phone out of the water. I will never buy a 16GB Galaxy S-Whatever again!

P.S. my bad about my initial post that was edited. I wasn't sure if the last part was allowed, but it won't happen again!

To gently throw my two cents in here. I agree on that 16gb thing..I am a newbie, and I got a 16gb S4 back in May.. However, after reading, I found out that real users want and need at least 32gb of internal memory. Based on reading, I returned the 16gb S4 and tried to wait for Tmobile to come with a 32gb S4. Well, they never did, glad they didn't the Note 3 came on the scene..Note 3 is a S4 on steriods..An S5 will have to be better than the Note 3, and that will be killer action.. The Moto X seems to be good for people that like what it does, and size. However, just like cars, different ones appeal to different people..However, I am not going to say my chevy camero is better than a corvette just because the camero fits my needs.. You see a lot of that going on around here.. Fanboys get upset quickly.. :D

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
To gently throw my two cents in here. I agree on that 16gb thing..I am a newbie, and I got a 16gb S4 back in May.. However, after reading, I found out that real users want and need at least 32gb of internal memory. Based on reading, I returned the 16gb S4 and tried to wait for Tmobile to come with a 32gb S4. Well, they never did, glad they didn't the Note 3 came on the scene..Note 3 is a S4 on steriods..An S5 will have to be better than the Note 3, and that will be killer action.. The Moto X seems to be good for people that like what it does, and size. However, just like cars, different ones appeal to different people..However, I am not going to say my chevy camero is better than a corvette just because the camero fits my needs.. You see a lot of that going on around here.. Fanboys get upset quickly.. :D

So the Samsung is the "corvette of phones"?? lol..thanks man I needed a laugh..you see theres a fanboy born every minute..:D

Posted via Android Central App

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy