MOTO-X...... Definitely not what I expected

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawells787

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Have you guys got any suggestions for improving the camera? Got mine yesterday and really like it except for the pics. Spoiled by iPhone 5s maybe. A few other little things but more to like about it than not

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

You can try using HDR it does wonders on some photos. If that doesn't work for you. After you take a photo go the gallery and a little pencil icon will appear on the bottom. Go to it and use the punch filter it makes photos look much better IMO.
Posted via Android Central App

CompMan2012

Banned
Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Totally disagree wuth OP on all counts.I had Samsung phones and Nexus phones before too.I definitely wont sell for an S5 .Between Sammy and the carrier loading it up with bloat or what I call useless apps(apps I never use).
On the other hand even though there is some bloatware on the vzw Moto X I disable what I dont use.Its not as much as other vzw phones.I love the always listening and active notifications,gestures the Moto X has , as well as the size and the fact that it feels solid your hand.

Also opinions arent going to agree ha thats why there are more then one model of phone(s) with different features.

Even though I'm really liking this N5, I would get a Goole edition S5 if it became available with the premium build. Let's face it ... the last few phones that were talked about and leak were right on point. I think a HTC One / Iphone looking S5 will definitely happen next year.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
The only thing that even has me questioning not keeping the X is the camera. This thing is garbage compared to what I'm used to (last 3 phones - iPhone 5, DNA, S4). I have two kids and I use my phone for my digital camera. Everything else about this phone is perfect. It is the perfect Android phone, otherwise. And I like the camera interface/ease of use, but I'm having the hardest time getting a quality shot without the absolute perfect situation.

CompMan2012

Banned
Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Have you guys got any suggestions for improving the camera? Got mine yesterday and really like it except for the pics. Spoiled by iPhone 5s maybe. A few other little things but more to like about it than not.

I tried using the HDR feature but it seems like it's hit or miss and don't try taking low light pictures because it will like u took the picture with the front facing camera. I updated the phone to kitkat hoping it would make a difference but I did not notice it.

CompMan2012

Banned
Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
The only thing that even has me questioning not keeping the X is the camera. This thing is garbage compared to what I'm used to (last 3 phones - iPhone 5, DNA, S4). I have two kids and I use my phone for my digital camera. Everything else about this phone is perfect. It is the perfect Android phone, otherwise. And I like the camera interface/ease of use, but I'm having the hardest time getting a quality shot without the absolute perfect situation.

I will agree with u in regards to the camera interface. Seems to me that they should of put more thought into having a 2013 camera in it than making the camera easy to use.

enik

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
ujy9uhy6.jpg

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

mech1164

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
That's the beauty of Android, you have a great deal of choice. The OP is def on the Sammy side and that is fine. This just didn't meet to what he considers a great phone.

I'm coming from a 2 year old Gnex that even with 4.3 was starting to show its age. This thing is a monster. All the reasons I wanted it are here. Good feel, great battery and better radios. The last one is of particular irritation for me. Now I just need to get a car cradle for it and I'm set.

I hope the op finds what he is looking for. I know I sure did.

Sent from my Moto X via Tapatalk

wsrobert

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Give Camera Awesome or Focal a try. Focal is free and in beta (camera from CM) and Camera Awesome is paid. I've tested the stock camera app against those two and Camera Zoom FX. Interestingly, each excels in different situations. Camera Awesome gives control of ISO and exposure (as does Focal but I think the algorithms in CA are better) so you can get much better low light shots with it and a steady hand. Outdoor shots with varying contrast, the stock cam in HDR mode actually does a really great job. In difficult lighting situations Focal is great as you can change where the exposure and focus are handled on screen, before the shot (Camera Awesome has this feature as well but its not currently supported on the moto x).

I feel moto is close with their camera app. They need to punch up saturation just a bit and and maybe the contrast, provide control for exposure and iso...and then I think I could remove all other camera apps. The problem with low light shots in the moto x is that motorola bumps up the ISO too much which gives nicely lit shots but with lots of graininess. I'd rather bump exposure time and reduce ISO, manually. Or at least have the option to.

Not ideal. Would be nice to preferably have one app that does well across the board. But until then, I keep all three on the phone for various situations.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I guess the poor little guy never stood a chance since I had the nexus 5 first. Been using it for a week before I received the X. I was ready to ship the nexus back if I like the X, but It didn't happened. I wanted to like it though. The X is a good phone at the on-contract price ($50), but definitely not worth 372 off contract.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
If you buy it off-contract it makes sense to assume you'd be using it pre-paid, in the long run you save a lot more money than buying it on contract

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
At $350 for MX and N5 its a tough choice, at $500 for MX, I would pick N5 without any questions. I am gonna stop by BB today to check out N5 (I heard they carry then now). Camera does suck on MX. S4 changed the way I use mobile camera (I never used it before), so going back to something that can end up being useless worries me. Design, battery, and screen are all fine by me on MX.

PS. I also thought that Moto Maker is overrated....but at the end I have MX that feels great in hand, made with quality, and is made with colors that I like. I was never able to get this out of Galaxy even with custom back covers.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
A year ago at this time, I was convinced that i'd NEVER deviate from the Galaxy S line of devices. I LOVED my S3 and loved what Samsung was doing. Now, there's a Nexus 5 sitting here on my desk. I just got tired of Samsung packing in so many features yet not one of them was polished. When I got my S3, I defended all of their features because if you like them, they're there. If you don't like them, turn them off and don't worry about it. But that whole opinion changed as I watched my S3 struggle a few months ago. Then I realized that the features I liked, weren't polished because Samsung was more concerned with MORE MORE MORE! If they'd perfect 3 or 4 features at a time, I would love it.

I also had a lot of people around me (including me) start to have serious hardware problems with various Samsung devices. 3 Galaxy S3's all had USB problems, a Galaxy S2, and a Galaxy S. It's clear to me that Samsung wants the wow factor but they neglect the durability and dependability factor. I still want to be wowed after a year. And NOT because i'm having yet another problem with whatever Samsung phone i'm using. Quite frankly, I got tired of being a Samsung apologist. Obviously they still make outstanding phones. But I personally do not have the money to replace mine after every single year when everything starts to break.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
The always listening feature on the phone is good, but since we live in the real world and lock our phones, it won't work the way u want it to.

But it also has trusted Bluetooth capability making the always listening feature totally usable even if you lock the phone.

I'm extremely pleased with my moto x. There are some downsides, the camera is pretty noisy in all but the most perfect conditions, but the device as a whole meets my expectations as a smartphone with useful features without the addition of a lot of features I won't use.

This post goes to show there will never be the perfect smartphone for everyone. Just some that might be more popular than others.

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I agree about the bloat, but if it's a Aluminum S5 it will blow every phone out of the water. I will never buy a 16GB Galaxy S-Whatever again!

P.S. my bad about my initial post that was edited. I wasn't sure if the last part was allowed, but it won't happen again!

if the S5 is aluminum it will blow every phone out of the water? why? it will be touchwiz wrapped in aluminum, the very same touchwiz that looks a lot like Gingerbread, thats not moving forward at all, Touchwiz is getting like IOS, long in the tooth, its a bloated skin that slows performance on the device, Samsung need to pull themselves back, the OS takes 8gb right now with a bunch of novelty software, you want a top aluminum phone on android you should go buy the HTC One

bandityo

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
Are you sure you dont write for BGR? they released something just as lovely about the nexus 5 today....you should apply to work there !

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I held a Moto X in a store the other day, just to see what it looked and felt like. Both the size and weight were excellent, for my tastes.

I didn't play with it, however. Don't have the budget, so no sense drooling over it :(

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
My other post got deleted so I'll simply ask. Why go on the forum of a certain phone that everyone has just to bash it ? Its not changing anyones mind but whatever makes you feel good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
My other post got deleted so I'll simply ask. Why go on the forum of a certain phone that everyone has just to bash it ? Its not changing anyones mind but whatever makes you feel good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

I don't think he came to bash like some others have, i think he was honestly surprised it wasn't what he thinks is a good phone, and wasn't like a sammy, and was trying to warn everyone that it wasn't big enough, etc, and thought that everyone probably sees things the way he does and therefore he should alert them to how bad it is. He was just a little confused about people having different preferences and priorities for size, build, features, etc. I really do not mean that in any snarky way, he just wasn't able to imagine that people have different opinions than his. Although similar to the mindset of the regular bashers I think his title made it clear, he really was stunned because he thought it was something totally different and was incredulous that people could like it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87