MOTO-X...... Definitely not what I expected

Status
Not open for further replies.

CompMan2012

Banned
Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
What exactly is the point of this thread? OP didn't like the Moto X and felt compelled to tell everyone about it? Seems like that's been accomplished and then some.

You may prefer a phone that others don't and vice-versa. In other news, water is wet.

This is a forum for Moto X owners and those interested in it....so if you're not, maybe go elsewhere to discuss what you like. Spare us the "I'm just trying to warn others" nonsense. It's silly and more than a little transparent.

I.... like others on this moto x forum ordered the x on cyber Monday, we waited out the storms in the south that delayed the the delivery of our new devices and now that I received it I feel like it's not worth what I paid. Even at the discounted price. That's all!
I have no ulterior motives. I'm not a fan-boy like you. I purchased the device and I have every right to post how I feel about it... Especially what I dislike. It's not like I'm calling you stupid for having the X, so why be upset or bothered if I voice my opinion?

I sit here and laugh at the people that are so offended by my post. It's a freaking forum! Get over yourself! It's obvious I have no allegiance to any phone unlike you. I'm simply looking for the best phone at certain price range and the X wasn't it.

The fact that some people disagree with you makes me feel like I've done my job!

That being said, I hope you and your phone live happily ever after!

Deuces!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited:

CompMan2012

Banned
Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I had the Nexus 5 and had an opposite reaction. The N5 was too big, too light, had bland color, bad battery life, and the back of the phone attracted finger grease like no tomorrow. The camera wouldn't focus reliably, and feature-wise was quite boring.

This MX is the perfect size and weight, feels right in the hand, and has useful features no other phone has. The active notifications alone mean to me that I will never own a phone without that feature. I love the touchless commands in my car. I think the camera is just great. I love getting text messages on my computer and can respond without taking the phone out of my pocket. And I cannot kill the battery in a day, and the phone charges faster than any phone I have ever tried. I did the Tmo moto maker so I could easily unlock the bootloader, and love the colors I picked.

Just shows that there are different opinions. I think the OP wouldn't have taken so much crap if he didn't act like his opinion was the only one.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

It's not about taking crap... I respect your opinion. You're entitled to feel the way you do. The day that I get offended by someone on this forum over a phone is the day I stop logging in.

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
OK, I'm sorry I took the bait. Have fun, dude. I hope one day you'll find the correct forum.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
That's why I like the idea of Google play music, nothing stored on your device. the only downfall is it eats your data when you listen to it

With Google Play Music it's easy to save files locally and swap them back and forth for on device or streaming as needed. You don't always have to stream in order to listen to your music, though the files will always be available to stream or save to your device if you want.

For instance, I pin the albums to my device if I know I listen to them a lot so I don't have to stream them. If there's a song that I just have to hear or let someone else hear, I can stream it.

Gamer_Radar

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
By sick, he meant good :p
Anyway, the Moto X is a great phone, but it's not more "Google" than the Nexus. That's just not possible
Faster updates, GEL and other Kit Kat features that are exclusive to the Nexus, more Dev support, no bloatware, and the easiest phone to root/flash

Posted via Android Central App

We all appreciate you defending your Moto X as it is a really nice device but you are worse than the OP with these silly comments. I am guessing you haven't used the N5 as it is not flimsy but rock solid. I am not sure who the actual "googlers" are but I can assure you the N5 is still THE Google phone. Notice I am not speaking badly about the Moto X since in my opinion it and the N5 are the best available right now.

I don't see any other phone as a Google Phone.

1. They (NEXUS) were not designed by a Googler (They are designed by said company and then Google decides on the winner-Several companies go for the NEXUS)
2. They are not manufactured from a Legit Google Company (LG, Samsung, Sony are not "A Google Company")
3. Googler's, Google Employee's, The people that work and are paid by Google, the people that have Google on their name badges-and paychecks, Actually designed the Motorola X and G devices, Googlers are the ones who coded the extra software.
4. Motorola - A Google Company, designed their phone to utilize Google Now prior to Nexus' devices, "Okay Google Now" is pretty much the center of Motorola's X phone, and the hardware seems to be designed to provide Power and the always on voice (to utilize Google Now more than anything).
5. Want to talk about Developer? ever hear of a Motorola X Developer Edition.....
5.5. Bloatware - What bloatware? My device has a total of 3 extra apps.. That's a lot of bloatware! - Compared to Sammy/LG/Sony/HTC, its nothing. Also Running damn NEAR stock but with a more optimized version.
6. Moto X is not made for Nerds or Geeks.. It's Motorola's Google's Consumer phone
7. Just because It's sold in the Play Store does not mean its a Google Phone. Otherwise the Play Edition's would be "Google Phones"
8. Android is not a Google OS, Google invests a lot of cash into Android, but its still an Open Source Platform, if you wish to run Play/Google Services, you still need to go through google's requirements... Remember when a said Company was going to sell certain devices with a different Android Code? Google threaten to pull their Play/Google licenses..
9. The GEL "Google Experience Launcher" is available on any device. Any device that runs KitKat can have that "Special GE Launcher"

I'm done before I get banned lol.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I don't see any other phone as a Google Phone.

1. They (NEXUS) were not designed by a Googler (They are designed by said company and then Google decides on the winner-Several companies go for the NEXUS)
2. They are not manufactured from a Legit Google Company (LG, Samsung, Sony are not "A Google Company")
3. Googler's, Google Employee's, The people that work and are paid by Google, the people that have Google on their name badges-and paychecks, Actually designed the Motorola X and G devices, Googlers are the ones who coded the extra software.
4. Motorola - A Google Company, designed their phone to utilize Google Now prior to Nexus' devices, "Okay Google Now" is pretty much the center of Motorola's X phone, and the hardware seems to be designed to provide Power and the always on voice (to utilize Google Now more than anything).
5. Want to talk about Developer? ever hear of a Motorola X Developer Edition.....
5.5. Bloatware - What bloatware? My device has a total of 3 extra apps.. That's a lot of bloatware! - Compared to Sammy/LG/Sony/HTC, its nothing. Also Running damn NEAR stock but with a more optimized version.
6. Moto X is not made for Nerds or Geeks.. It's Motorola's Google's Consumer phone
7. Just because It's sold in the Play Store does not mean its a Google Phone. Otherwise the Play Edition's would be "Google Phones"
8. Android is not a Google OS, Google invests a lot of cash into Android, but its still an Open Source Platform, if you wish to run Play/Google Services, you still need to go through google's requirements... Remember when a said Company was going to sell certain devices with a different Android Code? Google threaten to pull their Play/Google licenses..
9. The GEL "Google Experience Launcher" is available on any device. Any device that runs KitKat can have that "Special GE Launcher"

I'm done before I get banned lol.
Regardless of who builds their phones, the Nexus phones are designed by Google.
They still get updates directly from Google, not the carriers (Look at the Sprint Moto X) and they get them a lot faster. There isn't much bloatware on the X, but people who buy Nexus phones want none of it. The GEL is available on every phone but you have to sideload it whereas on the Nexus 5, it's there by default. Finally, the Nexus 5 is probably going to get updates longer than the X, only time will tell

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I knew the camera sucked and that it is a small device, but I didn't expect the screen to be sub-par also. The scene is bright, but video playback sucks. Definitely not worth it! especially since u can get a Nexus 5 for the same price.

Being able to customize it isn't what it's cracked up to be if u really take the whole process into consideration. U can only chose 2 colors for the front bezel, a few colors for the accents and having a signature or writing on the back of the phone will decrease the resale value. And lets face it, half of us will be selling this thing when the S5 comes out.

The design is excellent, but way to small for my hands. Also, it's a heavy phone, way heavier than the Nexus 5.

The always listening feature on the phone is good, but since we live in the real world and lock our phones, it won't work the way u want it to.

The battery life is sick, but at what cost?

I figured that the pros will out-weigh the cons, but I was totally wrong.

U guys out there still waiting for ur device to be shipped... do yourself a favor and cancel! get the Nexus 5 instead.

EDITED BY MODERATOR.

Well seeing how you can get this on all carriers which isn't the case with the nexus 5, makes it the closest thing to a nexus some can get. Also because of your hand size it isn't right for others? Come on now if you're going to troll at least be good at it. And this is coming from someone who doesn't even own the moto x.

CompMan2012

Banned
Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Well seeing how you can get this on all carriers which isn't the case with the nexus 5, makes it the closest thing to a nexus some can get. Also because of your hand size it isn't right for others? Come on now if you're going to troll at least be good at it. And this is coming from someone who doesn't even own the moto x.

The nexus 5 works on all carriers except Verizon and that's only because they are blocking the phone. I think it sucks that a carrier like T-mo sells the N5 for 450 when u can get it at the play store for 350, but whatever.
And read the posts carefully... I do own a moto x. I currently have it listed at the Market place. It wasn't for me. Where else should I go to complain about my Moto-X experiences???

Maybe I shouldn't have said to cancel ur X orders for the N5, but the N5 is by far the best value at that price range.

People talk about gimmicks when it comes to the Galaxy line of phones, but in my eyes the the X falls in that same category. If it wasn't for the Cyber Monday sale, the price of the X would be the same as the HTC one and The S4. And that seems a bit crazy when u take into consideration the terrible camera and the 720P display.

Last edited:

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I have nothing bad to say about the X but I think the price should always have been the Cyber Monday price from the start. If they'd done that...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

DS1331

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I love the X I was never a Motorola fan until I bought this phone. I hope they keep coming out with awesome phones with Google help. I may buy a different colored X just to help the cause. and have a new phone!

Q10, HTC One, Nexus 7, Moto X

DS1331

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Would the Moto X be worth it if it were cheaper than the Nexus 5? At what price would you change your mind?

it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. I bought mine for $500 and it was worth every penny. I was sick of 5" phones and giant screens. this phone is fast and great and perfect form factor for me, why would it not be worth $500 you know. to someone else the iPhone 5s might be worth the off contract price

Q10, HTC One, Nexus 7, Moto X

CompMan2012

Banned
Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Would the Moto X be worth it if it were cheaper than the Nexus 5? At what price would you change your mind?

That's an excellent question! I'm glad someone finally asked it.

IMO, The N5 32GB version at 400 dollars off contract is a great deal considering it's everything I'm looking for in a Android device and I can take it to any carrier except Verizon... for now.

For me to jump ship It would have to be at least 100 bucks cheaper and I still will think long and hard before making the move. This might change tomorrow once I receive the MOTO G.

Trust me, I received the RMA from the play store for the N5, but I just can't pull the trigger. I can't get past the useless camera and the 720P display.

The always on listening feature and active display is a bit to gimmicky for me. Especially since I always lock my phone. Also, after the galaxy gear, a bluetooth ear piece is a thing of the past for me. Im ruined!

One thing that amazes me is the lack of fear for a phone that's always listen with your consent. Where's all the NSA fear mongers now? Funny how people bash Apple about the finger print sensor not being secure, but here's a phone that listens to everything around it and can be hacked like any other phone and no one cares? Go figure!

Last edited:

imurrx

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Regardless of who builds their phones, the Nexus phones are designed by Google.
They still get updates directly from Google, not the carriers (Look at the Sprint Moto X) and they get them a lot faster. There isn't much bloatware on the X, but people who buy Nexus phones want none of it. The GEL is available on every phone but you have to sideload it whereas on the Nexus 5, it's there by default. Finally, the Nexus 5 is probably going to get updates longer than the X, only time will tell

I might have misunderstood you, but I just want to clarify one thing.

The Sprint SOAK test was done by Motorola and you had to register with Motorola to participate. All feedback about the SOAK went to Motorola. Trouble shooting was with Motorola. There were instructions not to go to Sprint for help during the test but to a specific site, operated by Motorola.

What probably keep Sprint late was probably the the way how Sprint handles voice mail notification. In 4.2, Hangouts broke it and you kept on getting a stupid text from 9016. There well probably other issues other than that.

Posted via Android Central App

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
The always on listening feature and active display is a bit to gimmicky for me. Especially since I always lock my phone. Also, after the galaxy gear, a bluetooth ear piece is a thing of the past for me. Im ruined!

One thing that amazes me is the lack of fear for a phone that's always listen with your consent. Where's all the NSA fear mongers now? Funny how people bash Apple about the finger print sensor not being secure, but here's a phone that listens to everything around it and can be hacked like any other phone and no one cares? Go figure!
Apparently, they fixed the locked-phone thing with the latest update. Many functions no longer require you to unlock (like checking the weather) and for those that do, you can speak your pin.

I am a little paranoid about the "always listening" thing. But this was the only phone on the market that had the other features I was looking for (OS 4.x, runs on Sprint, can be unlocked for international use, and is small enough for me to hold) so I bought it anyway. So far, I am putting my head in the sand about carrying a bug, and I'm enjoying the phone.

I've played with my husband's g4, and with a One and a nexus that friends let me mess around with, and I picked up the LG in the Sprint shop. This is definitely the one I like best of those.

The nexus is certainly a terrific value. But I (like most people) bought the phone on contract, so nothing was very expensive.

CompMan2012

Banned
Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Apparently, they fixed the locked-phone thing with the latest update. Many functions no longer require you to unlock (like checking the weather) and for those that do, you can speak your pin.

I am a little paranoid about the "always listening" thing. But this was the only phone on the market that had the other features I was looking for (OS 4.x, runs on Sprint, can be unlocked for international use, and is small enough for me to hold) so I bought it anyway. So far, I am putting my head in the sand about carrying a bug, and I'm enjoying the phone.

I've played with my husband's g4, and with a One and a nexus that friends let me mess around with, and I picked up the LG in the Sprint shop. This is definitely the one I like best of those.

The nexus is certainly a terrific value. But I (like most people) bought the phone on contract, so nothing was very expensive.

I've said that before, this phone on contract for 49.99 is a great deal... if u don't care about having a camera on it that is. But at full price or 199.99 on contract? I don't think so. Not with all the other options out there. That's just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37