12-30-2013 07:54 AM
41 12
tools
    Here's a simple question with a not so simple answer: What do you want in the next X?
    Here's the catch-No spec talk allowed. I'm talking features and functions. No talk about form factors, 1080p's, better processors, mega-super-ultimate pixels with OIS, MOAR Batteries, or any of that kind of stuff. Also no "I'd like this function, but it would drain the battery too much." We're gonna go ahead and assume that Moto wouldn't put in a function that takes away from the overall experience-they'd find a way to make it work(within reason of course)
    Moto is trying to revolutionize mobile technology and the things we do with our phones. The X was the first step, what do you want for the next step?
    Forum member Kamron Erani posted this video on another thread and I'm gonna borrow it. This is the kind of thing I'm talking about. There is some amazing, next-level stuff going on here. The problem is you have to use Tasker and root your phone. I'd love to be able to do this out of the box.

Dennis Woodside said Moto has dedicated people who read tech blogs to find out what people want/like/don't like in a phone. Lets think outside of the spec-box and give them something to talk about.
    tr-1 likes this.
    12-13-2013 02:02 AM
    Swiping navigation that webOS has. Why press a back button or a home screen button when a simple fluid motion can do it. The Prē was very easily navigable with using one hand and it's thumb.

Also, the task manager to allow grouping of active tasks/programs by the user into groups (yes another webOS feature).

That's my 2

Posted via Android Central App
    12-13-2013 02:16 AM
    I would like a little more customizability with the quick settings bar. With my galaxy nexus I had a custom quick settings and it was nice to throw a flashlight in there etc but now I barely even use anything in there. I would really like touch less controls to be expanded. Say I wanted to toggle blue tooth maybe be able to tell the phone to do that.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
    dmark44 and JoeNM84 like this.
    12-13-2013 02:41 AM
    I hope they continue to expand the Ok Google now functions. Make the camera better. Take my money Motorola!

12-13-2013 07:47 AM
    A better camera. And that is a feature. I do not care what "specs" they use to do it, i want the next x to take beautiful photos. I'd like expanded voice controls. I'd like to be able to say something like "okay Google now, play Lorde in play music" access have it happen automatically. I'd also like to see more options for customization. More front colors especially. Maybe 3-5 different materials for the back instead of two (three of wood ever shows up). Keep the two we have now, add the wood and add aluminum.

dmark44 likes this.
    12-13-2013 10:37 AM
    conversational! I know that's more of a "google now" thing, but still. Would be the icing on the cake. I don't think they will, i think that's 3 - 5 years away.

And 2nd the textures on the back. the slippery backs are awful. I have the turquoise, ugh. Don't want to use it naked for fear of breakage, but can't even for a moment because of the awful texture of the smooth and slippery hard to hold smooth backs. and not only is it slippery but the feel of it is really not to my liking, the unpleasant feeling is almost visceral. If not, my next one will be a black rubbery one like my original.

And like most actual X owners here, I really hope (pray) that it stays pocketable. Oops, o/t

And of course, better camera sensor.

Oh, and a pipe dream that would never ever happen under google, but let us have options for other code words to wake the phone. Give it a name, the way Siri has a name at least, and let us choose which one to use.

Don't start boxing us in to google the way iPhone does. Like letting us remove that top search bar. But we all know, they're making it all google and will probably make it very G+ or bust.
    Aquila likes this.
    12-13-2013 01:58 PM
    I want to be able to delete unused home screens.

Posted via Android Central App on my Moto X
    12-13-2013 02:03 PM
    As others have said, voice commands. Specifically, being able to turn on functions of the device i.e. Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc.

On that note, different "hot words" to launch GNow would be excellent. Allow users to say any short phrase they wish, the phone analyze it and tells you if it's acceptable or not.

Also build materials. Hell, if those beautiful wood backs were wrapped in aluminum, I'd drop the Nexus 5 in a second. Keeping with what the OP said, the specs don't really affect me much. Both devices were a joy to use, but the N5's price point simply won it for me. I intend of jumping on the sequel to the X regardless!
    12-13-2013 02:05 PM
    conversational! I know that's more of a "google now" thing, but still. Would be the icing on the cake. I don't think they will, i think that's 3 - 5 years away. And 2nd the textures on the back. the slippery backs are awful. I have the turquoise, ugh. Don't want to use it naked for fear of breakage, but can't even for a moment because of the awful texture of the smooth and slippery hard to hold smooth backs. and not only is it slippery but the feel of it is really not to my liking, the unpleasant feeling is almost visceral. If not, my next one will be a black rubbery one like my original...
    I bought a Phantom Skinz for the front. They also sell a wrap-around version, and I think that might solve your problem. There are othe companies that make similar things, this is just the one I have been happy with.

- - - Updated - - -

Swiping navigation that webOS has. Why press a back button or a home screen button when a simple fluid motion can do it. The Prē was very easily navigable with using one hand and it's thumb.

Also, the task manager to allow grouping of active tasks/programs by the user into groups (yes another webOS feature).

That's my 2

pretty please? Actually, what I really want is to be able to have several "cards" (or pages) of email open, and swipe among them, maybe copying an address from one to type into another, or whatver.
    12-13-2013 02:15 PM
    I bought a Phantom Skinz for the front. They also sell a wrap-around version, and I think that might solve your problem. There are othe companies that make similar things, this is just the one I have been happy with.

- - - Updated - - -

pretty please? Actually, what I really want is to be able to have several "cards" (or pages) of email open, and swipe among them, maybe copying an address from one to type into another, or whatver.
    ah, so funny, i keep remembering then forgetting, i did buy a back version of a screen protector, lol, 2 infact, for that very purpose (the texture). I'll have to put one on sometime before i forget again. .

Double thousand pretty please? i keep needing to use things easily like that, like looking for info in my phone to give to people i'm talking to, or use one page for info for another page that i'm on, etc. Unfortunately, I think you're looking at about 10 years from now. jmo.

and for the love of goodness, a decent calendar app please.
    12-13-2013 02:16 PM
    I want to be able to train the always listening to react to things other than my voice, for instance, when my boss walks into my office, i want it to be able to recognize his voice and silence the phone.
    12-13-2013 02:41 PM
    Here's a simple question with a not so simple answer: What do you want in the next X?
    Here's the catch-No spec talk allowed. I'm talking features and functions. No talk about form factors, 1080p's, better processors, mega-super-ultimate pixels with OIS, MOAR Batteries, or any of that kind of stuff. Also no "I'd like this function, but it would drain the battery too much." We're gonna go ahead and assume that Moto wouldn't put in a function that takes away from the overall experience-they'd find a way to make it work(within reason of course)
    Moto is trying to revolutionize mobile technology and the things we do with our phones. The X was the first step, what do you want for the next step?
    Forum member Kamron Erani posted this video on another thread and I'm gonna borrow it. This is the kind of thing I'm talking about. There is some amazing, next-level stuff going on here. The problem is you have to use Tasker and root your phone. I'd love to be able to do this out of the box.

Dennis Woodside said Moto has dedicated people who read tech blogs to find out what people want/like/don't like in a phone. Lets think outside of the spec-box and give them something to talk about.
    Here's one thing to remember for this thread -

http://forums.androidcentral.com/gen...-strategy.html

At the Moto G announcement, Punit Soni, Software Product Management at Motorola, went over Motorola’s three tenets when it comes to software development on Android.

1. Ensure that we build on a foundation of pure Android

2. Build experiences that compliment Android and Google services, not compete with them.

3. Ensure that we can build software that gives value back to the user.
    12-13-2013 03:36 PM

That's my 2

This will happen only if "base" Android gets these features. See Motorola's software strategy.
    12-13-2013 04:12 PM
    I want to be able to delete unused home screens.

The "MotoBlur" launcher on the 2012 DROIDs had this feature. In fact, it was similar to the Nexus 5's Google Now launcher (I refuse to call it the Google Experience Launcher/GEL unless Google actually calls it that).
    12-13-2013 04:16 PM

That's my 2

I believe an app called swipe pad allows you to do this

12-13-2013 04:22 PM
    I totally agree with those that want custom hot words. I really don't like saying "Okay Google Now". I understand that the lenght is needed to ensure it has enough information to respond to your voice alone, but give us some options. I'd even prefer "Okay Moto X" over what we have. I'd really like to be able to say something custom. I so badly want to go either Star Trek or 2001 and talk to my phone and call it by the name Computer or Hal.
    12-13-2013 05:00 PM
    Ok, JARVIS
    Aquila likes this.
    12-13-2013 05:38 PM
    I want to be able to train the always listening to react to things other than my voice, for instance, when my boss walks into my office, i want it to be able to recognize his voice and silence the phone.
    Tell that i'm on a bad date and ring my phone for me. Maybe some kind of duress word.
    12-13-2013 05:52 PM
    My RAZR M had it. It makes sense from a user experience perspective.

12-13-2013 05:53 PM
    I'd like to be able to do longer emails. Basically true text to speech where I can add multiple recipients, tell the phone the subject, dictate several paragraphs, maybe even do attachments, and then tell it to send the email.
    12-13-2013 05:54 PM
    Play playlists instead of just artist/song. I'd like to be tell it to "play <playlist>" or better still, "shuffle <playlist>." Also play any of my Google Play radio stations. I'd also like to see a driving mode for Google Play Music with bigger buttons.

More app support. I'd like to be able to open TuneIn and play a radio station without touching the phone.

Basically, make music while driving work better/safer.
    12-13-2013 05:58 PM
    Play playlists instead of just artist/song. I'd like to be tell it to "play <playlist>" or better still, "shuffle <playlist>." Also play any of my Google Play radio stations. I'd also like to see a driving mode for Google Play Music with bigger buttons.
    Would probably need an update to Google Now and Google Play Music to support this. A Motorola X "2" is not needed.

More app support. I'd like to be able to open TuneIn and play a radio station without touching the phone.
    Would probably need an update to Google Now and TuneIn to support this. A Motorola X "2" is not needed.
    12-13-2013 07:09 PM
    I would like a little more customizability with the quick settings bar. With my galaxy nexus I had a custom quick settings and it was nice to throw a flashlight in there etc but now I barely even use anything in there.
    If Motorola adds this, it's because AOSP added it. Kind of goes against their software strategy if they do this on their own now.

I would really like touch less controls to be expanded. Say I wanted to toggle blue tooth maybe be able to tell the phone to do that.
    An update to Google Now or Touchless Controls could probably add this. No new phone needed.
    gabbott likes this.
    12-13-2013 07:14 PM
    I believe an app called swipe pad allows you to do this

I have seen that app and it's similar, but not the same and more cumbersome to use than the default buttons. Thanks for the tip though.

12-13-2013 10:41 PM
    I have seen that app and it's similar, but not the same and more cumbersome to use than the default buttons. Thanks for the tip though.

Sure thing. Someone was talking about it yesterday because they wanted to avoid pressing the physical home button too much, haven't used it myself though

12-13-2013 10:53 PM
41 12