I just got my wife a Moto X and I'm really impressed with the look and feel of that phone. I know the GS4 has better specs, but I can't tell the difference in the screen quality and the software is so much better on the Moto X that it makes up for the difference in processor power. Here are the pros and cons:

Reasons to keep GS4:
    -GS4 definitely has the best camera of any phone I've used, and the Moto X camera is average at best
    -While I can't tell the difference in screen quality, I like having the bigger screen on the GS4. The difference of the 5 inch vs. the 4.7 inch where some of it is taken up by on-screen buttons feels significant
    -I like having all of my music on my phone, so I bought a 64GB micro sd card for the GS4. The Moto X I'd swap it for would only have 16GB of storage, some of which (although much less than with touchwiz) will be taken up by the OS, and there's no micro sd card slot.

Reasons to get the Moto X:
    -The build quality is so much better and the phone just feels nicer in the hands. It's also way easier to use with only one hand.
    -It's basically stock android with actual useful extras like the touchless control and active notifications, whereas touchwiz feels so clunky and I disabled almost all of the extra features.
    -Battery life is way better since there are much fewer pixels and the processor and software are optimized much better.

What do you guys think? I'm going to post it in both forums...
    12-13-2013 08:42 AM
    I actually traded my s4 for the X a few days ago and I wouldn't go back to the s4. I loved the camera on the s4 but the extras and the feel of the X had won me over. Touch less controls and active notifications I actually use. Most of the gestures on the s4 I never really utilized and the interface was clunky like you said. I think it was a good trade for me anyways. I was turned off at first also by no SD card but I have learned to love the cloud lol. I just put all of my music on Google drive and have had no problems. And the screen size on the X is perfect IMO.

Sent from my XT1058 using AC Forums mobile app
    lilkim429 and bearda like this.
    12-13-2013 08:53 AM
    I've been gravitating to devices that have better quality software rather than looking at hardware as the primary factor. Hardware on smart phones is quite powerful nowadays so it falls to software experience to be the deciding factor.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
    jaleesag88 and lilkim429 like this.
    12-13-2013 08:55 AM
    If you have a good data plan, consider hooking your music up to Google Music. Then you can stream what music you want, and you can also choose to keep say 100 songs on your device for instances where streaming isn't an option.
    Also, you can sign up on Cloud storage services like Dropbox, Box, and Google Drive and store anything you need there. Download anything you need for offline viewing.

I came from an S3, and the biggest things I had to learn was; 1. I need to use more discretion as what I download, and where to put it. 2. Clean my device more. If I haven't looked at it in over a week, I no longer need it. If it isn't on any of my cloud backups, it gets uploaded and deleted.

Overall, I am no where near disappointed with the device. I am glad I made the shift, as I think TouchWiz needs to go on a serious diet. Nearly 50% of a 16 GB internal is outrageous.
    12-13-2013 08:57 AM
    If you have a good data plan, consider hooking your music up to Google Music. Then you can stream what music you want, and you can also choose to keep say 100 songs on your device for instances where streaming isn't an option.
    Also, you can sign up on Cloud storage services like Dropbox, Box, and Google Drive and store anything you need there. Download anything you need for offline viewing.

I came from an S3, and the biggest things I had to learn was; 1. I need to use more discretion as what I download, and where to put it. 2. Clean my device more. If I haven't looked at it in over a week, I no longer need it. If it isn't on any of my cloud backups, it gets uploaded and deleted.

Overall, I am no where near disappointed with the device. I am glad I made the shift, as I think TouchWiz needs to go on a serious diet. Nearly 50% of a 16 GB internal is outrageous.
    I'm no stranger to streaming music, there's just a convenience factor of having it always on your phone for situations like being on a subway when you don't have a data connection.
    Wollombi likes this.
    12-13-2013 09:00 AM
    I'm no stranger to streaming music, there's just a convenience factor of having it always on your phone for situations like being on a subway when you don't have a data connection.
    I completely understand, that's why I suggested to have some songs on the device. Is the 32 GB option available to you?
    12-13-2013 09:17 AM
    Just get google play music and steam to your hearts desire. No more need for huge storage for music then. I took that jump and i love it.

Posted via Android Central App
    12-13-2013 09:39 AM
    Use Google Play Music. Pin some songs or albums to the device for local storage. You don't need access to ALL of your music at all times.
    12-13-2013 09:54 AM
    I just got my wife a Moto X and I'm really impressed with the look and feel of that phone. I know the GS4 has better specs, but I can't tell the difference in the screen quality and the software is so much better on the Moto X that it makes up for the difference in processor power. Here are the pros and cons:

Reasons to keep GS4:
    -GS4 definitely has the best camera of any phone I've used, and the Moto X camera is average at best
    -While I can't tell the difference in screen quality, I like having the bigger screen on the GS4. The difference of the 5 inch vs. the 4.7 inch where some of it is taken up by on-screen buttons feels significant
    -I like having all of my music on my phone, so I bought a 64GB micro sd card for the GS4. The Moto X I'd swap it for would only have 16GB of storage, some of which (although much less than with touchwiz) will be taken up by the OS, and there's no micro sd card slot.

Reasons to get the Moto X:
    -The build quality is so much better and the phone just feels nicer in the hands. It's also way easier to use with only one hand.
    -It's basically stock android with actual useful extras like the touchless control and active notifications, whereas touchwiz feels so clunky and I disabled almost all of the extra features.
    -Battery life is way better since there are much fewer pixels and the processor and software are optimized much better.

What do you guys think? I'm going to post it in both forums...
    that's a tough choice. Especially since you're a subway rider (like myself), putting music on my phone is a must. But i do find the 32GB manageable.
    12-13-2013 09:59 AM
    Another idea that I use a lot is the Sandisk WiFi flash drive. Local storage when u need it ...

12-13-2013 02:16 PM
    Haha sorry to revive an old thread, but I figured since its still open I might as well give some input for anyone else who stumbles into here like I did.

I recently made the jumpy from the S3 to the Moto X, and I'll be honest there are some really obvious differences. On the physical part, I found the Moto X significantly more sturdy, and the way the backplate is feels like the phone is far more secure. My biggest issue with the S3 was the fact that it felt like it was made of incredibly cheap, malleable plastic. The glass also stuck out a little bit, which just wasn't a smart option. Even with a case on my S3, it felt and suffered a nice big fracture across the screen and lost the glass in the top left corner. Stuck with it for a year, and within that year lost the power button (using a widget to lock your phone really bites). Honestly, the S3 was fun times and felt really sleek, but you could totally feel the superior build quality of the Moto X when you hold it in your hands. My biggest irk is the loss of an LED notification. The active display definitely is a cool feature, and I assume doesn't use anymore power than the LED would really. But this is just something I have to get used to, and isn't really a big deal.

As for software, I know TouchWiz is essentially Pacman running around eating your memory, but it did have some really sweet features that I'm still having to get used to dropping. Mainly, it was the notification bar for Samsung. They really customized it well and it has lots of features built into it. I can appreciate the basic android feel that Motorola went with, however. But overall when it comes down to how the OS is running, there is no debate about how much smoother the Moto X feels.

All in all, it was a really nice move over to Motorola. If you're really going to go the Galaxy path, I could only recommend going for a Note 3 over the Moto X. But obviously, thats not everyones flavor. Overall, I'd say the Moto X was the better buy over the S4 since it was also going for so much cheaper, yet proving itself to be just as good.
    01-30-2014 10:36 AM
    This is my story.

I had the S4 for six months, I loved it, I sometimes still miss it but thanks to a $1 Peso (Mexican here) coing, and a nano crack not even visible on my screen the whole amoled digitizer died. anyway, fixing that thing was more expensive than getting the Moto X so I went for it. so far the only thing I miss is the IR Blaster, mostly because I lost my home theaters remote so I am now forced to stand up and turn it off. other than that everything is if not the same maybe a bit better. it definitely feels better built, the difference in resolution is not really noticeable. the camera is pretty good after the update, I am no pro but I use the camera almost everyday, (I have a 4yo beautiful daughter that loves being in front of a camera), video recording is great, and if you upload your photos to google drive or google photos you can just erase them every couple of days to save space. In my opinion even the apps run quite faster,

once you get the hang of it, talking to your phone starts to feel more natural, and you start loving that feature, works great while driving. and Waze now applied that option so even better. , notifications on your hold screen is something I know I will now miss if I switch to a phone without that feature.

I hope this helps, in my situation I was forced to find a phone that without paying more would give me the closest experience of having the S4, Would I go back to the S4? I am going to say yes, but do I really miss it? nah...
    01-30-2014 03:26 PM
    Personally I think if you are willing or able to install custom roms for the S4, then you don't need to get the Moto X. Custom roms have the Active Display feature. You won't get touchless control, but at least you can use Google Home launcher.
    01-30-2014 03:41 PM
    Like everything, we'd need to know a lot more about what you intend to do with your phone.

Will you be watching significant amounts of video or showing off pictures on it? A small difference in screen size makes a BIG difference here. S4.
    Will you be listening to a lot of locally stored music on it, or using it as a storage device for large amounts of data? SD card availability is a big plus. S4.

Do you want the closest-to-stock experience possible on a carrier-subsidized phone without aftermarket ROMs (which also means a very smooth experience)? Moto X.

I have a Moto X. My wife has a Galaxy S4. I like them both, for different reasons.
    01-30-2014 03:42 PM
    I can't speak to the GS4, but what I can comment on here is that I thoroughly enjoy the Moto X. It's my first real higher end Android phone.

For me, the software's where it's at. Active Display is genius. I like seeing the time at a glance. My latest email. (whether it's something important for work, or one of my ***** friends sending me something stupid -jk) Settings are easy to get to. Touchless Control. MotoAssist is very cool for listening to texts while driving. Screen is a good size. It's all great.

As far as the camera? Well, it's not the best, but not bad either. What I do is, if I have a shot I really like, I run it through a filter to make it look a little more presentable.

And with the MotoMaker, well, that's just the icing on the cake.
    01-30-2014 04:11 PM
    I just ordered an X and currently have an S4. Specs look to be similar, the S4 being a little better, but the touchless controls and active notifications look good to me. If I don't like it I can always sell it and keep the S4.
    01-30-2014 06:48 PM
    I just ordered an X and currently have an S4. Specs look to be similar, the S4 being a little better, but the touchless controls and active notifications look good to me. If I don't like it I can always sell it and keep the S4.
    Specs on the S4 blow away the ones on the X. Performance is probably better on the X though...

01-30-2014 06:49 PM
    I use to have the Nexus 4 (8GIG) and loved the clean adroid experience! Amazing phone, horrible storage. I jumped at the Galaxy S4 and found it to be a nice device, however like others, it seemed cheaply made and I hated the Sense skin that bogged the whole thing down. I kicked myself for not getting the Moto X! :-(

Yesterday, I had enough. I went to Best Buy and bought the Moto X (32GIG) and upon initial set-up, it began migrating my content from the S4 to the Moto X (cool app). At the same time it started downloading the 4.4 KitKat update. This took forever even with a good WIFI connection. After all was said and done, I got the phone up and running as I like it, and now a day later............

WOW!

Now I have a very comfortable phone, running the latest OS and smooth as butter!

I will be toting this phone around for quite a while! OH! I almost forgot! I have used the camera a few times and I am so far very pleased with the image quality. Its a phone, not an SLR Camera!
    02-09-2014 12:30 PM
    I switched from the gs4 over 2 weeks ago. Love the moto and am selling my gs4 to gazelle next week. Better phone hands down.

02-09-2014 04:41 PM