Moto X 4.4 Kit Kat T-Mobile, low brightness causes gray to turn purple?

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys,

I recently got a custom Moto X and updated it to Kit Kat immediately out of the box and I noticed that when I set the brightness all the way down, it causes objects on the screen that are normally gray to turn a 'purple' color. I'm not sure whether this is just because the brightness goes TOO low and it's a software bug, or if it's a hardware problem and I should get it returned. Any input would be greatly appreciated :)

P.S. The top pic is with the brightness a little under 50% and and bottom pic is the brightness slider all the way to the left(lowest setting). It was a lot more noticeable at first but it still bothers me.
P.P.S. Camera doesn't do justice; I might upload better pics later today :p

Attachments

• IMG_0661.jpg
    IMG_0661.jpg
    484.3 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0667.jpg
    IMG_0667.jpg
    460.1 KB · Views: 57
May 25, 2013
Visit site
Aha okay. Well, I'm going to stop by an AT&T or Verizon store to look at their Moto X display models and see if they have the same issue as me. I'll keep this thread posted :p If push comes to shove, I'll just have to exchange it for a new one and wait another 2 weeks for it... :(

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I just did mine and was all good. I can't imagine that this would be a faulty screen. In would assume that all those colors would turn purple. I think this is normal. Un connect from WiFi and your 4G should turn white even at low brightness.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I have purple. Not as bad as Gnex of course

I haven't noticed it on my X, but I did on my Gnex. I may have just gotten used to it. Must have something to do with AMOLED screens, they aren't all created equal for some reason. My 1st Gnex was a slight purple(headphone jack went bad), 2nd one had no purple but was physically defective(screen/glass was loose, could see it move when pushed on) and had to be sent in for a 3rd which had the slight purple to it... I just accepted it since it didn't bother me too much and the phone worked.

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Here is MX review that also talks about purple

AnandTech | Moto X Review

So I called Motorola and they advised me the same thing that I was planning on doing which was to go to a store to compare my phone to their display models.

I looked at that review, which is a very in-depth review :), and read the part about the purple color shift.
" I still will personally take an LCD display over AMOLED, but the characteristics of this panel are relatively well behaved. Only if you force brightness to absolute zero does there start being visible purple color shift, something which long has been an issue for AMOLED panels."
Hmmm so I guess it will always be that way even if I get an exchange done. However, I wonder if it is less on the display models? Yeah, I'm going to stop by some stores tomorrow and I'll report back :)

Thanks very much for the info guys!

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
To be honest, it doesnt bother me but I dont think I have it as bad as you do according to your pictures. Here are 2 pictures from my buddies phone and he said he cant see any purple....I can on 2nd picture and my phone looks the same.

PS. I am actually glad that Auto setting works well for me and drops brightness to very minimum in dark rooms. On my Galaxy Nexus I had it set-up so that Auto Brightness always at 10-15% or so, this helped get rid off the ugly screen a bit.

Attachments

• Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    395.4 KB · Views: 27
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    799.2 KB · Views: 29

SmithlandCart

Banned
Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
totally an AMOLED phenomena. Between me and my relatives, all 4 of us have it and like someone else said, not near as bad on the Moto X as on the GNex. The Note3 was bad, too.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
More than half of all Android phones I purchased are Samsung since the Galaxy S, AMOLED have this issue, it's just the characteristic of the technology you'll have to deal with.

Just be glad the MotoX display doesn't suffer from the infamous "dark spot smudging" issues that plague many AMOLED screens, at least my Moto X screen doesn't seems to suffer from it. The way to test for this is to use this blob test image (see attached) and set it as the wallpaper, then put on full brightness while you are in complete darkness. It is clean looking for my Moto X screen, but on other older AMOLED screens you might see lines or dark spots.

uploadfromtaptalk1393661222102.jpg
(PS. this is not a black image, it will actually help reveal imperfections for AMOLED screen)

sent via tapatalk

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital