Thoughts on 4.4 Kit Kat on the Moto X

nyry

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Hey all! I received my moto x yesterday and it is still on 4.2.2. Everything is running well on it, battery life is alright so far. My questions are to the people that updated to Kit Kat:
Do you notice a performance difference?
Difference in battery life?
Anything that does better? Worse?
Is it worth updating to?

I heard of many complaints pertaining to bugs and glitches that have been attributed to the update, so I'm just wondering if its worth it :)

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The update breakes Google Now's hotword detection (since Touchless Control has the mic flagged as in use). That is the biggest issue I have the 4.4. Other than that, I totally think 4.4 is worth it.

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Battery is the same for me. I think the transparent nav and notification bars are beauty. The only thing I don't like is how 4.4 has video playback issues.Double twist still hasn't recovered.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I updated right away so I don't know about the difference. I will say that my battery life is great and everything works perfectly. No issues after a week anyway.

Sent from my Moto X

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
I dont care for the wifi indicator being white. I liked that before it was white and then turned blue when you had connection. They could still do this, just make it a darker gray and then when locked it's white. I just know that I've tried to do a search after I thought I connected and it was not connected yet.

mawells787

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
I dont care for the wifi indicator being white. I liked that before it was white and then turned blue when you had connection. They could still do this, just make it a darker gray and then when locked it's white. I just know that I've tried to do a search after I thought I connected and it was not connected yet.

It was actually done to save battery/ CPU cycles.

Source: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Google-engineer-tells-why-KitKat-hides-connectivity_id49452

Posted via Android Central App

androidatic

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I can't compare battery life since I updated as soon as I got the phone. I can tell you that on my first full day with it, I was at 14 1/2 hours, 4 hours 31 minutes of screen time and still at 23%. That is the best battery that I have EVER had on ANY smartphone that I've owned.

anon(883913)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

When you go into the quick toggles (two fingers down from the notification bar) it will show the Wifi symbol as orange if it is connected but no internet while it will show white when connected and internet available.

imurrx

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I was in a weekend conference last week and I had used my phone quite a bit. 9 hours off charge and 5.5 hours on screen time. Wi-Fi on but Bluetooth off. The screen was dim and 15 second turnoff. I only used 55% of the batter.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I was in a weekend conference last week and I had used my phone quite a bit. 9 hours off charge and 5.5 hours on screen time. Wi-Fi on but Bluetooth off. The screen was dim and 15 second turnoff. I only used 55% of the batter.

o_O unless you have screenshots, I can't believe that. You'd get almost 10 hours if it used all of the battery, no phone can get that without an extended battery, let alone a Moto X

jaleesag88

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site

I'm lucky if I get 12 hours of moderate usage. Mostly on WiFi, dim screen, and nowhere near 5.5 hours of screen time. I wish I would've gotten screenshots of my battery today.

Last edited:

DS1331

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm not upgrading for a while I'm very happy with the phone on 4.2.2. everything works perfect I love the blue status icons and everything else with the phone

Q10, HTC One, Nexus 7, Moto X

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463