Ok.. Whats the deal with google

greenxyz

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Why are they trying to force people to upload their phone book to GMail in order to import it to your moto X..

Does anyone know of any other way to get my phone book from my outlook to my moto X without having to export it to any google GMail?

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
A quick google search showed there are several apps in the play store that will do this. Not having used any of them, I won't recommend one over another, but searching for "Add outlook contacts to Android" on google should get you the results you are looking for. The fault here really lies with Microsoft though, not Android. Microsoft uses proprietary contact and calander formats for Outlook and will not support the open standards for contacts and calanders used by Google and others. Google decided to stop supporting Microsoft's outdated proprietary protocols and Microsoft refuses to support open calander and contact standards.

greenxyz

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
A quick google search showed there are several apps in the play store that will do this. Not having used any of them, I won't recommend one over another, but searching for "Add outlook contacts to Android" on google should get you the results you are looking for. The fault here really lies with Microsoft though, not Android. Microsoft uses proprietary contact and calander formats for Outlook and will not support the open standards for contacts and calanders used by Google and others. Google decided to stop supporting Microsoft's outdated proprietary protocols and Microsoft refuses to support open calander and contact standards.

Ok thanks

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Why are they trying to force people to upload their phone book to GMail in order to import it to your moto X..

Does anyone know of any other way to get my phone book from my outlook to my moto X without having to export it to any google GMail?

Uh. Not "forced" but it's easier if you're contacts are in Gmail.

And yes, Android + Google, it makes sense.

androidatic

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Use the Migrate app. It transferred everything from my S3 to my X. Call log, texts, photos, 12 GB music, setting, everything.

orangezebra

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Backing up your contacts with gmail is incredibly handy, for one, you will never lose your contacts even if you lose all your devices. For two, any built in Android app can access your contacts so you can just enter names instead of having to remember numbers and emails. I can log into any computer or device and access all my music, files, contacts, calendars, emails, pictures, everything.

If you don't want Google to have your contacts you really shouldn't use a phone that's made by Google and runs Google's mobile operating system, where you use a Google account to do pretty much everything.

I don't mean that to be snarky. The way Google handles login and contacts/calendar is incredibly robust. The nature of Google's ecosystem is two way. Their products work well when you give them information. Google now for example.

However, if you have privacy concerns you may be better off using either a custom ROM, a different OS, or not a smartphone.

Posted via Android Central App

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Backing up your contacts with gmail is incredibly handy, for one, you will never lose your contacts even if you lose all your devices. For two, any built in Android app can access your contacts so you can just enter names instead of having to remember numbers and emails. I can log into any computer or device and access all my music, files, contacts, calendars, emails, pictures, everything.

If you don't want Google to have your contacts you really shouldn't use a phone that's made by Google and runs Google's mobile operating system, where you use a Google account to do pretty much everything.

I don't mean that to be snarky. The way Google handles login and contacts/calendar is incredibly robust. The nature of Google's ecosystem is two way. Their products work well when you give them information. Google now for example.

However, if you have privacy concerns you may be better off using either a custom ROM, a different OS, or not a smartphone.

Exactly.