Moto X, Voice control and Google Voice...

djkleric

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I searched and couldnt find an answer. What I am looking for is to get GV to work with voice control and be able to use that as my default messaging app as I do not have texting on my plan. With 4.4, I can not find out how to make it default, it is not an option. I have tried using the option in GV to send to the messaging app for notifications and that doesn't work for notifying me either.
Is there a workaround or any way to get it as default or to use for voice control?

Thanks for the help.

TJH132

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I think this has been disabled until Google rolls Voice into Hangouts next year. Sucks. During a recent snow/ice storm, I found the ability to text completely hands-free to be a real killer feature. That I had to pay for each text, incoming and outgoing, was a bummer.

Posted via Android Central App

Kalifornia

Dude
Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
Sorry I don't think I understand what you are asking. Are you looking for a way to dictate messages using Google Voice without sending it via SMS?

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

djkleric

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Sorry I don't think I understand what you are asking. Are you looking for a way to dictate messages using Google Voice without sending it via SMS?

Dictate the message then send sms through gv , not the messaging app. I don't have texting on my plan.

Posted via Android Central App

gvndeb60

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I searched and couldnt find an answer. What I am looking for is to get GV to work with voice control and be able to use that as my default messaging app as I do not have texting on my plan. With 4.4, I can not find out how to make it default, it is not an option. I have tried using the option in GV to send to the messaging app for notifications and that doesn't work for notifying me either.
Is there a workaround or any way to get it as default or to use for voice control?

Thanks for the help.

OK. I am not near my Moto X to test this, but I did a quick search and found the below instructions for getting GV to work in Hangouts. Once you do that the notifications from hangouts already work so that should be fine. But you will have to test touch less control.

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/12/03/how-to-use-google-voice-sms-with-hangouts/

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Kalifornia

Dude
Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
If you walk through the process of creating an SMS using Google Now (start with "OK Google Now....Send Message) the last step asks you to verbally confirm you want to send the message. Before saying anything, if you tap the message (be careful not to tap "send") it should prompt you for an app to use. Google Voice was an option for me to use once or select to use it moving forward.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

rlieving1

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for this tip. I tried the steps and told Google Now to use Google Voice per your instructions.

And while my Moto X now displays "Open Google Voice" at the bottom of the text, it does not send the text. Very frustrating.

All I can see right now is that if you use Google Voice, you cannot use your voice to send texts.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01