wireless charging?

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Any way to get this phone to work with wireless charging? I'd even be interested in something that stuck to the back and plugged into the micro USB slot.

Infinity

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Any way to get this phone to work with wireless charging? I'd even be interested in something that stuck to the back and plugged into the micro USB slot.

Nothing I'm aware of like that. I'm sure you could add it if you were willing to open it up and solder some leads to a qi receiver.

John Doe40

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site

Actually, there might be some... If you're willing to experiment - here is "universal" Qi coil with micro USB plug:
Universal Qi Wireless Charging Charger Receiver Tag Coil with Micro USB Head | eBay
This is not my auction (I don't sell anything on eBay) and you'll probably be able to find same item elsewhere. Oh, and to just give you an idea: you don't have to open up your phone to use it - find a case thick enough and mod it to work with this thing.

Infinity

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Actually, there might be some... If you're willing to experiment - here is "universal" Qi coil with micro USB plug:
Universal Qi Wireless Charging Charger Receiver Tag Coil with Micro USB Head | eBay
This is not my auction (I don't sell anything on eBay) and you'll probably be able to find same item elsewhere. Oh, and to just give you an idea: you don't have to open up your phone to use it - find a case thick enough and mod it to work with this thing.

Interesting...

imurrx

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
There have been modders who took a Prē Touchstone kit and took out the coils and magnets and made it fit in a galaxy S3.

There is an adhesive gel pad in the Moto X that could be removed to put the hardware in it, but there are two questions linger. Will the Moto X be flimsier without the aggressive gel pad and will the coils and magnets interfere with the NFC coil?

Galaxy S3 gets the cleanest Touchstone mod yet | webOS Nation

Last edited:

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, I think I will try that (or something like it.) I'm finding it annoying to have to carefully place the phone on a micro-USB prong at night, and if I want to grab the phone in the middle of the night. (I have gotten into the habit of using it as a flashlight to walk to the bathroom.) I'm thinking that putting it in a case for the night, and resting it on a QI stand would be handy at home, and I can just take the case off when I am out and around. (I do like the way the phone feels with no case, and I like the way it fits in my pockets.)

DOOG9517

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site

I ordered one of these. I'll post my thoughts when I get it.

pgoelz

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site

I ordered one and received it. As received, it was defective and would not trigger my Nokia Qi base (the LED never illuminated and the phone never indicated it was charging). I peeled it open and found the problem.... one of the coil wires was not soldered to the pad on the circuit board. After repairing it, it triggers the Nokia base (the LED turns on) but apparently does not produce sufficient voltage for the Moto X to recognize it and enter charge mode. I tried it with my Nokia 820 and my Atrix 4G. The 4G charges with it but the Nokia (and of course the Moto X) do not.

I notified the seller and they are shipping a replacement. They claim it WILL work with a Moto X but I have my doubts. After repairing mine, I don't think there is anything else "wrong" with it other than perhaps the overall design. I am very close to deciding not to order anything from China any more.... these kinds of issues, coupled with unpredictable shipping times, are common and more than offset the lower cost. Too bad in this case since it is a very good idea. It sandwiches between the back of the phone and the inside of the case and you can hardly tell it is there. The little USB plug does not protrude past the edge of the case. No idea whether it interferes with the NFC coil as I don't use it.

Paul

imurrx

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
After repairing it, it triggers the Nokia base (the LED turns on) but apparently does not produce sufficient voltage for the Moto X to recognize it and enter charge mode. I tried it with my Nokia 820 and my Atrix 4G. The 4G charges with it but the Nokia (and of course the Moto X) do not.

It sandwiches between the back of the phone and the inside of the case and you can hardly tell it is there. The little USB plug does not protrude past the edge of the case.
Paul

I know with the Pre phones from Palm and HP, there were issues with the thickness of the case and wireless charging. Some cases rendered the Touchstone back cover uses less because it created too much space that the EM field could not create enough current and the magnetic anchors may not latch on. Also, with the HP Touchpad, very few cases were compatible with the Touchstone charging dock for the same reason.

pgoelz

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I know with the Pre phones from Palm and HP, there were issues with the thickness of the case and wireless charging. Some cases rendered the Touchstone back cover uses less because it created too much space that the EM field could not create enough current and the magnetic anchors may not latch on. Also, with the HP Touchpad, very few cases were compatible with the Touchstone charging dock for the same reason.

That is not the "case" here. The coil does not charge the 820 or the Moto X even if it is laid directly on the charge base. And it DOES charge the Atrix 4G even several mm away from the base. I do not know how much that extra space reduces the charge current but it does charge. At least with the Nokia DT900 charge base. Smaller charge bases might be more critical.

I'm still waiting for the replacement charge coil from China. When it arrives I'll update this thread.

Paul

pgoelz

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
OK, final report. I purchased THIS RECEIVER COIL from seller "anterkey" in China (who apparently no longer sells it, so I linked to an identical item from a different seller). The first was received defective.... it had a wire broken off the circuit board. It was also the wrong type.... I ordered a type "A" and they sent be a type "B" (USB plug oriented upside down). When I repaired the broken wire, it would trigger my Nokia DT900 charge base but WOULD NOT charge the Moto X (no reaction on the phone at all).

They sent a replacement, which was the correct type. It triggers the charge base but it also DOES NOT charge the Moto X. No reaction on the phone at all, same as the first one.

The purchase price was $6.79 plus $3.29 shipping. They have offered me a $4 refund, which I have declined on principal. We are still in negotiations.

Beware folks. Buy from China at your own risk.

Paul

gvndeb60

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
OK, final report. I purchased THIS RECEIVER COIL from seller "anterkey" in China (who apparently no longer sells it, so I linked to an identical item from a different seller). The first was received defective.... it had a wire broken off the circuit board. It was also the wrong type.... I ordered a type "A" and they sent be a type "B" (USB plug oriented upside down). When I repaired the broken wire, it would trigger my Nokia DT900 charge base but WOULD NOT charge the Moto X (no reaction on the phone at all).

They sent a replacement, which was the correct type. It triggers the charge base but it also DOES NOT charge the Moto X. No reaction on the phone at all, same as the first one.

The purchase price was $6.79 plus $3.29 shipping. They have offered me a $4 refund, which I have declined on principal. We are still in negotiations.

Paul

This not qi charging, but PMA, but a solid looking design.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...motorola-smartphone-cases.html&token=OrEtkmS_

pgoelz

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site

Paul

Just to update, the seller ANTERKEY eventually offered (and I accepted) a full refund including shipping. I agreed to leave no feedback and it looks like they no longer offer this particular receiver.

My best guess is that the receiver does produce an output. However, it cannot supply enough current to activate the charge circuit on a smartphone so the smartphone acts like it is not connected.

Paul

scallawag

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
This not qi charging, but PMA, but a solid looking design.

Wireless Charging Cover for Moto X | Incipio PMA Battery Door | Incipio

I have seen QI charging pads that will charge two devices at once. Has anyone seen a dual charging pad that has Qi on one side and PMA on the other or any charging pad that is a combo of PMA and QI? I know I would have to put a PMA case on the Moto X as I don't see a Qi case for it. If I could find a QI case for the Moto X that would be great.

I love wireless charging and use it on my LG G2 and before that on my iPhone 4s. Yes the 4s had to have a case and pad. I have the Verizon G2 and it has QI built in and charges right through the G2 smart case.

dgravo

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I purchased a receiver off of Amazon and at first I didn't think it worked but it apparently does charge the phone. The weird thing is it doesn't show it is charging on the battery icon but it is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pgoelz

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I purchased a receiver off of Amazon and at first I didn't think it worked but it apparently does charge the phone. The weird thing is it doesn't show it is charging on the battery icon but it is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Doesn't seem to be the case with the receiver I purchased from China. I left it on for a while and the battery level didn't change at all.

Paul

imurrx

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Check out this link I found about the differences between the Moto X and Droid Maxx

Moto X vs Droid Ultra – Differences Comparison

Qi Wireless Charging Support
The Motorola Moto X will have native Qi wireless charging support, the Droid Ultra lacks this feature. This means that the Ultra doesn’t have it built-in not it is optional using a wireless charging case. The Droid MAXX and Droid Mini do have support for Qi Wireless charging.

The support for Qi wireless charging means that you can wirelessly charge the Motorola Moto X with any Qi-compatible wireless charger on the market (aka Qi compliant wireless charger). There are various types of Qi wireless chargers, including wireless charging pad, plate, doc, stands and large ones in which you can charge more than one device at the same time. Qi Wireless charging is slowly catching up with standard chargers, but it still far behind when it comes to charging times.

Is this true or did this guy not do his homework?

http://forums.androidcentral.com/moto-x/308342-does-have-wireless-charging.html

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463