12-19-2013 02:51 AM
46 12
tools
    Love 'em both! Parents each have the X, I have the N5. However... That bamboo back is calling my name.
    LegalAmerican likes this.
    12-17-2013 09:21 AM
    No, I compared side by side MX and N5 photos taken after both phones have been updated. For a camera with OIS N5 pictures dont look good at all and like I said in many cases MX looked better outdoors, N5 looks much better indoors, and both dont even come close to S4 camera
    I'm not trying to argue anything here, but the camera on the N5 is actually outstanding after the 4.2.2 update. I mean it still doesn't compete with the S4 or Lumia 1020 obviously but it's a pretty dang impressive. It certainly doesn't "suck" as you put it.
    mrsmumbles likes this.
    12-17-2013 10:11 AM
    Do you have a Moto X ?
    My Mom got her Moto X 2 days before I got my N5. Before the 4.2.2 update (I had it a week before it updated), I did comparison photos in various settings and the N5 outperformed the Moto X in every way. After the 4.2.2 update, the N5 blew the Moto X out of the water in every way. It wasn't even close. The Moto X has a good camera, and I would be more than happy with owning a Moto X myself. But the N5 camera is much better in my experience, even my mom agreed as well as my sister who owns the N4. The biggest issue I had with the N5 camera, is the auto lighting feature wasn't great. But if I manually selected the lighting in the settings, the photo's looked awesome.

To the OP, personally i'd take the Moto X over the N5. There's just so much that's awesome about the X and I think you'd miss it tremendously the more we see other companies try to copy it's features in the next few months. The Nexus 5 does have a great screen but the X is still a very good looking screen in it's own rite. Since you wont use the camera very much, it really doesn't matter which performs better anyway.
    12-17-2013 10:16 AM
    here is a thread with photos of n5 vs mx (both updated)

Moto X vs N5 photos anyone? - xda-developers
    LegalAmerican likes this.
    12-17-2013 10:30 AM
    here is a thread with photos of n5 vs mx (both updated)

Moto X vs N5 photos anyone? - xda-developers
    Thanks. I've seen that thread as well as a few on here regarding photo comparisons. In my hands on usage, i've simply had MUCH better results with the N5 than the Moto X. But it's silly to hash out the camera differences of these phones when neither proclaim to be or are designed to be camera powerhouses.
    12-17-2013 10:57 AM
    Just get the G2 and know its awesomeness.

Optimus G Pro
    12-17-2013 11:30 AM
    Is the G2 $399. Is it getting updated as quickly as the N5 or Moto X?
    mattjopete likes this.
    12-17-2013 12:09 PM
    Is the G2 $399. Is it getting updated as quickly as the N5 or Moto X?
    CyanogenMod. The awesomeness is updated quite frequently.

gp8.3
    12-17-2013 12:51 PM
    I literally only take pictures of the fish I catch so camera was a non -issue for me, although being able to take photos fast without so any setting is perfect for the situations I do take photos in. I snap and go, not a moment wasted. I think in the end for most people the size is important and people will lean towards whatever they feel is best. However, I think if you are the type of person that likes the N5 (because the hardware is better) you might as well go all the way and get a Note 3. I really dislike the screen on the N5, looks dead.
    12-17-2013 01:20 PM
    Additional considerations:
    You have to decide how big of a deal the following non-gimmick features are to you:
    Active notification
    Wireless charging
    Touchless controls
    Future Google updates.
    When discussing non-gimmick features, I'd include Motorola Connect.
    The ability to have the SMS conversations from my desktop browser is Way too convenient.
    When I'm at work and you text me, expect my response to be better and faster than yours.
    12-17-2013 03:28 PM
    When discussing non-gimmick features, I'd include Motorola Connect.
    The ability to have the SMS conversations from my desktop browser is Way too convenient.
    When I'm at work and you text me, expect my response to be better and faster than yours.
    As of a recent update you can also use Google Hangouts to view and reply to SMS across multiple devices including PCs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    12-17-2013 05:18 PM
    As of a recent update you can also use Google Hangouts to view and reply to SMS across multiple devices including PCs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Are you sure??? I use hangouts on my PC as a Chrome extension and I don't have the ability to read or send any SMS via Hangouts. I don't even see my SMS on the hangouts app on my Nexus 7.
    12-17-2013 07:31 PM
    Are you sure??? I use hangouts on my PC as a Chrome extension and I don't have the ability to read or send any SMS via Hangouts. I don't even see my SMS on the hangouts app on my Nexus 7.
    Yes I'm sure, I'm using it all the time now. If you have Hangouts on your phone there's now a setting to have it handle SMS, and once you do that if you're chatting with someone else who's done the same then you can be chatting back and forth seamlessly across multiple devices using Hangouts.
    12-17-2013 07:51 PM
    Yes I'm sure, I'm using it all the time now. If you have Hangouts on your phone there's now a setting to have it handle SMS, and once you do that if you're chatting with someone else who's done the same then you can be chatting back and forth seamlessly across multiple devices using Hangouts.
    Yeah...no. If you're chatting back and forth on your PC using Hangouts with someone else who is also using Hangouts, you're instant messaging Google Talk-style. You're not using SMS.
    12-17-2013 08:00 PM
    Yeah...no. If you're chatting back and forth on your PC using Hangouts with someone else who is also using Hangouts, you're instant messaging Google Talk-style. You're not using SMS.
    You're right my saying if they're also using Hangouts is not the right example: it works if they're just using SMS as well, and that's how I should have phrased it. If you've set your phone to have Hangouts handle SMS, the other person can just be using SMS and it still works across devices.
    12-17-2013 08:18 PM
    If you've set your phone to have Hangouts handle SMS, the other person can just be using SMS and it still works across devices.
    SMS messages are not showing up in Hangouts on a desktop. The only messages that show up across devices are instant messages--not SMS.
    12-17-2013 08:22 PM
    If you've set your phone to have Hangouts handle SMS, the other person can just be using SMS and it still works across devices.
    https://support.google.com/hangouts/.../3441321?hl=en

"When you turn on SMS, all of your existing text messages are imported into the Hangouts app. You can only access these messages on your Android phone and not from any other Hangouts on the web, iOS device, or your tablet."
    12-17-2013 08:30 PM
    https://support.google.com/hangouts/.../3441321?hl=en

"When you turn on SMS, all of your existing text messages are imported into the Hangouts app. You can only access these messages on your Android phone and not from any other Hangouts on the web, iOS device, or your tablet."
    Yup, that's right. I just checked with my friend who I thought was only using SMS and he installed Google Hangouts recently, so you're right. Sorry for my confusion. I thought I had been doing Hangout -> SMS and seeing it on my PC, but since he has installed Hangouts it's just using that. Oh well. Here I was thinking how cool it all was.
    12-17-2013 08:33 PM
    Not to mention that when I get calls on my phone, Motorola Connect tells me who's calling on my computer screen. Several people who've been in my office when my phone was ringing in my pocket have been jealous.
    12-19-2013 12:03 AM
    Form factor and active notifications are huge for me. Surprisingly, active notifications is a killer feature in my book. And the fact that it's enabled by hardware (AMOLED display) means that others won't be catching up any time soon.
    AMOLED is not a requirement for active display / notifications. It does however make it that much more power efficient as it can fire the individual pixels needed. Take a look at the droid lineup. I think its the mini that has the LCD display and also has active display / notifications

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    12-19-2013 12:39 AM
    Wow great responses guys hopefully someone who stumbles into this thread will be helped by all the well articulated pros and cons. they are both great phones.
    Specifically about the camera I took some indoor test shots and the moto x was more noisy/grainy than the nexus 5. I have to mention how great the waggle waggle gesture though. I was able to catch a great shot of a car that fell into a ditch because of it.
    Lots of great call outs about the moto connect feature. I am running Computer-less as part of a personal experiment so I haven't tried it at all.
    12-19-2013 02:51 AM
46 12