decision time the MX vs the N5

fishweb

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Moto x Vs Nexus 5

Just based on my experience using both devices as my main driver.

Battery life (moto x)
I get superior standby time on moto x consistently. I think mainly this is because of the ridiculously bright and large screen on the N5.

Display (nexus 5)
The N5 screen is amazing the best screen I have ever used. Better than the iPhone 5S. I don't particularly like amoled screens though.

Speaker (moto x)
This thing is so loud. Only thing I have ever used louder than this are the old blackberry phones side click wheel versions.

Form factor (moto x)
The curved back and none giant phone form factor wins it for moto x

Speed/Power (nexus 5)
The nexus 5 is just faster. Easily seen when loading or scrolling large tumblr pages and when playing games.

Camera (tie)
I can't really tell a difference here. I dont use either camera that much.

Price/value(nexus 5)
No contest here $349 off contract is just a ridiculous deal. Additionally the nexus 5 has better internals making it more future proof before even factoring future Google updates.

Additional considerations:
You have to decide how big of a deal the following non-gimmick features are to you:
Active notification
Wireless charging
Touchless controls
Future Google updates.

zobog

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
I would not consider another phone that does not have touch less controls and active notifications.

There is no going back for me.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
The battery life,active notifications,touchless controls,speaker,phone radio, phones size, OS smoothness,made the Moto X the correct choice for me.:)

torifile

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Form factor and active notifications are huge for me. Surprisingly, active notifications is a killer feature in my book. And the fact that it's enabled by hardware (AMOLED display) means that others won't be catching up any time soon.

mech1164

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
I got a Moto X for all the things it does right. I to am Reformed Spec Junkie. Coming from a Gnex there are two things I needed in a new phone, one better battery life and two greater radios. The X has this in spades. Moto assist and touchless controls just put this phone over the top. I looked at the N5 and was all set to get it. Then I saw the compromises they made to get it at the price point they wanted. It kinda soured me on it after that. I was lucky to get the cyber Monday deal from Motorola with the 12 free financing. So for the price of a 32gb N5 I got what to me is the superior phone. I know many will disagree, that's fine everyone has to make that choice for what works for them. Now if I could get the KK smart dialer it would be great.

Posted via Android Central App

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I got a Moto X for all the things it does right. I to am Reformed Spec Junkie. Coming from a Gnex there are two things I needed in a new phone, one better battery life and two greater radios. The X has this in spades. Moto assist and touchless controls just put this phone over the top. I looked at the N5 and was all set to get it. Then I saw the compromises they made to get it at the price point they wanted. It kinda soured me on it after that. I was lucky to get the cyber Monday deal from Motorola with the 12 free financing. So for the price of a 32gb N5 I got what to me is the superior phone. I know many will disagree, that's fine everyone has to make that choice for what works for them. Now if I could get the KK smart dialer it would be great.

Compromises? They just made a major fix to the camera and a fix to the speaker...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site

There is a flahable zip in Nexus 5 forum on xda u can try. Its not just for Nexus

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Compromises? They just made a major fix to the camera and a fix to the speaker...

Yeah but both still suck. MX camera is pretty ****ty compared to S4 for example and N5 is not far out. I've seen pictures outdoors and in some shots MX is better, low light N5 is.

Quality-wise I would also give it to MX

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Yeah but both still suck. MX camera is pretty ****ty compared to S4 for example and N5 is not far out. I've seen pictures outdoors and in some shots MX is better, low light N5 is.

Quality-wise I would also give it to MX

Do you own an N5? Have you used one for at least a week?

fishweb

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
As far as camera goes I have only ever been happy/satisfied with shots taken by the iPhone 5 series and the HTC One. I don't use the moto x and nexus 5 much so I am not much of a judge but from what I did try the moto x and nexus 5 both take grainy pics indoors.

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Do you own an N5? Have you used one for at least a week?

No, I compared side by side MX and N5 photos taken after both phones have been updated. For a camera with OIS N5 pictures dont look good at all and like I said in many cases MX looked better outdoors, N5 looks much better indoors, and both dont even come close to S4 camera

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
No, I compared side by side MX and N5 photos taken after both phones have been updated. For a camera with OIS N5 pictures dont look good at all and like I said in many cases MX looked better outdoors, N5 looks much better indoors, and both dont even come close to S4 camera

Riiiiight.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
As far as camera goes I have only ever been happy/satisfied with shots taken by the iPhone 5 series and the HTC One. I don't use the moto x and nexus 5 much so I am not much of a judge but from what I did try the moto x and nexus 5 both take grainy pics indoors.

2nd the indoor shots not so hot on the X, outdoors photos much better vs indoor.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
No, I have a Nexus 5. The comments I responded to were regarding the Nexus 5. The pictures I've seen taken with the Nexus 5 are beautiful.

xchange

Banned
Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Both phones have "average" cameras so I wouldn't buy either based on Camera. The recent camera update to the N5 made an average camera slightly better but that's it, it's still just an average contender. I'm not just basing that on personal observation but an 8 page in depth (and updated) digital photography review that I happen to agree with. Please note that I'm not saying it's a bad camera, I'm just saying it's middle of the road as far as smartphone cams go. If you're looking for a better than average camera I'd probably go with a G2 right now. And please don't base camera quality off of shots taken by forum members. They aren't pros, and they don't use a professional photograph taken with a high end camera for you to see as a baseline for the other images compared.

As for the actual phone hardware, software, and features themselves vs each other, here's some recommended reading: The Nexus 5 vs. the Moto X | Android Central

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Both phones have "average" cameras so I wouldn't buy either based on Camera. The recent camera update to the N5 made an average camera slightly better but that's it, it's still just an average contender. I'm not just basing that on personal observation but an 8 page in depth (and updated) digital photography review that I happen to agree with. Please note that I'm not saying it's a bad camera, I'm just saying it's middle of the road as far as smartphone cams go. If you're looking for a better than average camera I'd probably go with a G2 right now. And please don't base camera quality off of shots taken by forum members. They aren't pros, and they don't use a professional photograph taken with a high end camera for you to see as a baseline for the other images compared.

As for the actual phone hardware, software, and features themselves vs each other, here's some recommended reading: The Nexus 5 vs. the Moto X | Android Central

actually pictures from forum members is exactly what i am looking for. i can stage and take a pro shot with my Galaxy Nexus and it will be better then MX or N5, but i need a camera that i can just take out from my pocket and snap a quick picture which will look great at the end. so when someone takes the same pictures with MX and N5 and one camera ends up looking like ****, then i know which camera works better. < because that exactly how i use my phone camera. for anything thats actually important for me, i take my regular camera with me.

S4 pictures always came out great and were actually usable for my collection, i just dont see the same with mx and n5. PS. GS4 was recently picked top 5 phone cameras and Note 3 was the winner. Neither MX or N5 were even considered of course.