Really need a car dock

pjo1966

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I am in my car most of the day and have forgotten how much I rely on having a car dock for my phone. I would prefer one designed for the Moto X, but with the Griffin out of stock and possibly discontinued, I at least need an inexpensive temporary solution. Any suggestions?

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I am in my car most of the day and have forgotten how much I rely on having a car dock for my phone. I would prefer one designed for the Moto X, but with the Griffin out of stock and possibly discontinued, I at least need an inexpensive temporary solution. Any suggestions?

If you go to Verizon store they sell a universal mount for $20. It doesn't have any cables or anything, but it will mount the phone to you dashboard.

Btravelen

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I have the TYLT Capio. The 'sticky' stuff works well, though I haven't used it since its gotten cold. I attached the lower support arms to give the adhesive a little help. It comes with an NFC Tag integral to the back. Take care

pjo1966

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
If you go to Verizon store they sell a universal mount for $20. It doesn't have any cables or anything, but it will mount the phone to you dashboard.

Thanks. I stopped by Verizon today and they only had one for $40. I saw the $20 one online. I'll just order it from there.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
There was a long thread a week or two ago with a lot of decent suggestions:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/moto-x/343026-best-vehicle-dock-moto-x.html

If I can't get the one designed for the Moto X, I will probably buy this one

Kenu Airframe - Kenu

I like it's minimalist approach, don't mind blocking an air vent, and it would work in both my cars, and also be easy to travel with. I do wonder what I miss by not having it trigger "car mode", but if I can't get the Griffin, I may not have any way to get car mode, so I can make do with what's available.

techitrucker

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
There's no real need to trigger car mode anyways. Phone automatically go's into a kind of car mode when it see's your moving quick enough. I just use the skip dot to trigger unlock and Bluetooth trusted to keep it that way. Pretty much any dock works when you think of it that way. All the voice stuff works great. If it works in a Freightliner with all that noise it will work anywhere.

Posted via Android Central App

dgwood12

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Proclip. Well worth the money. Get a universal holder and it will work with a case and any other phone you buy in the future.

Sent from my Moto X

pjo1966

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I stopped by another Verizon store and they had a different (more expensive) mount than the one I had seen last night.

My preference is for a windshield mount. I've looked at the air vent and CD mounts and they seem to be in the way. I like with the windshield mount that I don't need to take my eyes off the road to glance at the screen.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I stopped by another Verizon store and they had a different (more expensive) mount than the one I had seen last night.

My preference is for a windshield mount. I've looked at the air vent and CD mounts and they seem to be in the way. I like with the windshield mount that I don't need to take my eyes off the road to glance at the screen.

You should look into local laws before deciding on a windshield mount. IIRC they are not legal in some localities (hence the prevelance of dash mounts and vent mounts).

pjo1966

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
You should look into local laws before deciding on a windshield mount. IIRC they are not legal in some localities (hence the prevelance of dash mounts and vent mounts).

They are not legal in Los Angeles but it's not enforced. I've seen police cars with windshield mounts.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
They are not legal in Los Angeles but it's not enforced. I've seen police cars with windshield mounts.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

I would still make sure. I know police, firefighters, and anyone else for whom using a cellphone in a car is essential to their work is exempt from the law banning touching your cellphone while driving where I live.

sunburned

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Proclip for sure. I made my own dash mount that bolts into the radio screws for better stability, but the phone holder is perfect. And screw car mode, just set your phone to keep the screen on when it's plugged in.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
It's good to check, but I looked into it, and found they were legal in all but about 2 states, and basically everywhere I anticipate driving.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci