01-16-2014 08:06 AM
48 12
tools
    You like hitting the phone icon and instead of being taken to the dialer you are taken to recent calls?
    Personally, I do. I usually only call the same handful of people or am returning a missed call. That and usually when I'm calling someone I'm either in my car using Bluetooth or have a headset in so I just use voice dialing. I do not actually dial numbers very often.
    12-19-2013 11:21 AM
    Even though I prefer the new set up under kit Kat, I wish they would handle the dialer like iOS where it opens to the last screen you were on. So if you last used the dialer, when you open back up it goes to the dialer, if last you were in recent calls it will open back in recent calls and so on.

I really do like the new ui though and I almost never use the dialer, i mostly use recent calls, contacts, or tapping a link to a phone number.
    Oofa and dmark44 like this.
    12-19-2013 11:40 AM
    You like hitting the phone icon and instead of being taken to the dialer you are taken to recent calls? It must be that you call the same people over and over. I can see your point if that's the case. I don't always call the same person more than once. When I tap a phone icon, I want a phone dial pad. I don't need to be reminded of who I last called. And you have always been able to search contacts from the dialer by hitting the contacts icon at the dial pad.

These are all changes but not improvements. If there were millions of users complaining about the dialer on 4.2 and they came up with this, it could be considered an improvement. But I don't recall anyone claiming they wanted to see anything other than a dial pad when hitting a phone icon.
    I'm with you on this. I don't love the new dialer UI. I wish it would simply open to the dial pad rather than recent/favorite contacts.
    nfotiu likes this.
    12-19-2013 03:21 PM
    You like hitting the phone icon and instead of being taken to the dialer you are taken to recent calls? It must be that you call the same people over and over. I can see your point if that's the case. I don't always call the same person more than once. When I tap a phone icon, I want a phone dial pad. I don't need to be reminded of who I last called. And you have always been able to search contacts from the dialer by hitting the contacts icon at the dial pad.

These are all changes but not improvements. If there were millions of users complaining about the dialer on 4.2 and they came up with this, it could be considered an improvement. But I don't recall anyone claiming they wanted to see anything other than a dial pad when hitting a phone icon.
    Mine launches into "favorites", not recent calls. I wonder if there's a setting to toggle between those? Anyhow, I liked the layout of the favorites better in the old dialer, but I do prefer having it launch into favorites over launching into a dial pad. I don't remember anyone's number any more, because I have computers to do that for me.
    12-19-2013 03:31 PM
    Use a higher res photo for your contact? I'm not sure as I haven't really noticed this issue, but I also don't pay that close of attention to the picture when someone calls.
    I don't think that's it because with the other phones I had, their skins (Touchwiz, Sense and Blur) all handled the same pictures without a problem. For some reason stock Android isn't handling this properly.

I don't believe I have this problem. Have you tried re-booting?
    Yup. Still having it. It's not a big deal but I'm just curious why this only occurs with stock Android and not with the skinned versions.
    12-19-2013 04:53 PM
    thanks puzzlegal
    12-19-2013 06:57 PM
    Mine launches into "favorites", not recent calls. I wonder if there's a setting to toggle between those?
    Sometimes mine launches into favorites, sometimes it launches into the dialer. I have no idea why.
    12-19-2013 07:00 PM
    since the dialer is such a personal experience it would be nice if it offered more user customization...
    Oofa and dmark44 like this.
    12-19-2013 10:57 PM
    Even though I prefer the new set up under kit Kat, I wish they would handle the dialer like iOS where it opens to the last screen you were on. So if you last used the dialer, when you open back up it goes to the dialer, if last you were in recent calls it will open back in recent calls and so on.
    My Ultra just got updated to Kit Kat and this is exactly what it does
    12-19-2013 11:19 PM
    I keep getting a screen pop up to update to kit Kat really don't want it is there anyway to get rid of the notification without downloading it
    I guess you don't want the ability to do Tap & Pay with Google Wallet.

I <3 using Tap & Pay. It's so convenient and it freaks out the cashiers.
    12-20-2013 07:53 AM
    I keep getting a screen pop up to update to kit Kat really don't want it is there anyway to get rid of the notification without downloading it
    Root your phone and freeze the ota notification. Other than that no, it will keep annoying you until you give in. You mine as well bite the bullet now or you will have a crippled user experience moving forward especially with the Moto apps being updated through the play store.
    12-20-2013 09:26 AM
    I guess I prefer a dial pad to pop up when hitting the phone icon because in my line of work, I need to call numbers once or twice and they are not in my contacts. I have made it a habit to actually remember contacts phone numbers like in the good ol' days (yes, I am over 50 and don't have 1000's of contacts) and usually just dial their number instead of looking for them in contacts. It would be nice to have an option of what shows up when hitting that phone icon.
    I don't want to rag on 4.4 as if it were the worst thing out there just because I don't like the dialer. It isn't.

I do like the camera improvements.
    12-20-2013 11:00 AM
    I guess I prefer a dial pad to pop up when hitting the phone icon because in my line of work, I need to call numbers once or twice and they are not in my contacts. I have made it a habit to actually remember contacts phone numbers like in the good ol' days (yes, I am over 50 and don't have 1000's of contacts) and usually just dial their number instead of looking for them in contacts. It would be nice to have an option of what shows up when hitting that phone icon.
    I don't want to rag on 4.4 as if it were the worst thing out there just because I don't like the dialer. It isn't.

I do like the camera improvements.
    Have you thought of getting a different dialer application?
    12-20-2013 11:24 AM
    Have you thought of getting a different dialer application?
    I hadn't even considered it. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll snoop around to see what is available.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    12-20-2013 01:35 PM
    I hadn't even considered it. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll snoop around to see what is available.
    If you exit the dialer with the dialer keypad open (using the home button) it will be there when you return to the phone dialer. I only wish it would do it when you exit while in history (logs). The more little tricks I learn about the moto x the more I really like it. I didn't get to use 4.2 enough but 4.4 seems just fine.
    12-22-2013 11:08 AM
    I HATE the 4.4 dialer. Way too much clutter. But then I almost never use it. I use direct call widgets.

Sent from my XT1058 using AC Forums mobile app
    12-22-2013 05:45 PM
    This phone doesn't show the software updater in the last of apps you can disable. I remember seeing it in my other android phones.

Sent from my XT1058 using AC Forums mobile app
    12-22-2013 05:47 PM
    If you exit the dialer with the dialer keypad open (using the home button) it will be there when you return to the phone dialer. I only wish it would do it when you exit while in history (logs). The more little tricks I learn about the moto x the more I really like it. I didn't get to use 4.2 enough but 4.4 seems just fine.
    Of course if you keep the dialer in the background, the next time you click on it the dialer will be as you left it. You shouldn't have to do that. It should be the way you left it even if it's not in the background.
    12-22-2013 06:08 PM
    Not updating to kit kat is just silly. That is all.
    Really,
    I finally broke down and updated to4.4 Now my quickoffice which I used alot, doesn't work anymore. so much for your silly opinion
    01-15-2014 09:55 PM
    If I go to my dialer and tap on the keypad logo nothing happens than I click on back and tap on keypad logo again than I got the number pad this is a bug big time!!! Annoying too
    01-15-2014 11:48 PM
    Really,
    I finally broke down and updated to4.4 Now my quickoffice which I used alot, doesn't work anymore. so much for your silly opinion
    User error.

Sent from my Moto X
    01-16-2014 05:55 AM
    Been running Kit Kat since Nov 19th. I havent had any issues.I had to wait for some of the apps to get updated for Kit Kat but they have been now so all's good.
    01-16-2014 06:06 AM
    User error.
    No user error, I try to open a file and it tells me "unfortunately quickoffice has stopped" reloaded, rebooted nothing works. So much for the great 4.4
    Sent from my Moto X
    01-16-2014 08:06 AM
48 12