Is it possible to decline a system update on the Moto X?

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've seen other people say this, but I find the new phone app slightly less convenient than the old one. In what way do you think it has improved?

Being able search contacts from the dialer. I love that feature. It was a big part of why I could never stick with stock Android before. 232 to call "Dad", 264 brings up my wife (Angela), etc. That and seeing my starred contacts and recent calls on the main dialer screen. I love the new dialer so, so much.

Oofa

May 22, 2013
Visit site
To each their own I guess. Every point you made are all points I love about 4.4. That's what makes the world go round!

You like hitting the phone icon and instead of being taken to the dialer you are taken to recent calls? It must be that you call the same people over and over. I can see your point if that's the case. I don't always call the same person more than once. When I tap a phone icon, I want a phone dial pad. I don't need to be reminded of who I last called. And you have always been able to search contacts from the dialer by hitting the contacts icon at the dial pad.

These are all changes but not improvements. If there were millions of users complaining about the dialer on 4.2 and they came up with this, it could be considered an improvement. But I don't recall anyone claiming they wanted to see anything other than a dial pad when hitting a phone icon.

snoking

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I when into the phone and cleared recent contacts and it now goes straight to the dialler??? Wonder how long it will stay that way?

Chris

guesswhat_567

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Its not about just ui changes they are bunch of under the hood changes in kitkat ..also most of the app updates/ improvements( touchless control active display assist camera) that Motorola is launching in play store need the phone to be on kitkat ..so you are missing out on those things by not updating to kitkat ..

Posted via Android Central App

alphabets

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
You like hitting the phone icon and instead of being taken to the dialer you are taken to recent calls? It must be that you call the same people over and over. I can see your point if that's the case. I don't always call the same person more than once. When I tap a phone icon, I want a phone dial pad. I don't need to be reminded of who I last called. And you have always been able to search contacts from the dialer by hitting the contacts icon at the dial pad.

These are all changes but not improvements. If there were millions of users complaining about the dialer on 4.2 and they came up with this, it could be considered an improvement. But I don't recall anyone claiming they wanted to see anything other than a dial pad when hitting a phone icon.

I call 3 people, and I don't even want to talk to them half the time. Haha. I Just checked my usage since this peaked my interest. My minutes used each of the last 4 months:

104, 132, 80, 138.

I don't even know how i used that much. I don't like talking on the phone, I do it enough at work. My calls are short and to the point. I mainly use my phone for data, text and hangouts. So yeah, the new dialer works for me. I like being able to search for a business # right from the dialer as well.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You like hitting the phone icon and instead of being taken to the dialer you are taken to recent calls?

Personally, I do. I usually only call the same handful of people or am returning a missed call. That and usually when I'm calling someone I'm either in my car using Bluetooth or have a headset in so I just use voice dialing. I do not actually dial numbers very often.

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Even though I prefer the new set up under kit Kat, I wish they would handle the dialer like iOS where it opens to the last screen you were on. So if you last used the dialer, when you open back up it goes to the dialer, if last you were in recent calls it will open back in recent calls and so on.

I really do like the new ui though and I almost never use the dialer, i mostly use recent calls, contacts, or tapping a link to a phone number.

ethertwist

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

I'm with you on this. I don't love the new dialer UI. I wish it would simply open to the dial pad rather than recent/favorite contacts.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site

Mine launches into "favorites", not recent calls. I wonder if there's a setting to toggle between those? Anyhow, I liked the layout of the favorites better in the old dialer, but I do prefer having it launch into favorites over launching into a dial pad. I don't remember anyone's number any more, because I have computers to do that for me. ;)

androidatic

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Use a higher res photo for your contact? I'm not sure as I haven't really noticed this issue, but I also don't pay that close of attention to the picture when someone calls.

I don't think that's it because with the other phones I had, their skins (Touchwiz, Sense and Blur) all handled the same pictures without a problem. For some reason stock Android isn't handling this properly.

I don't believe I have this problem. Have you tried re-booting?

Yup. Still having it. It's not a big deal but I'm just curious why this only occurs with stock Android and not with the skinned versions.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Even though I prefer the new set up under kit Kat, I wish they would handle the dialer like iOS where it opens to the last screen you were on. So if you last used the dialer, when you open back up it goes to the dialer, if last you were in recent calls it will open back in recent calls and so on.
My Ultra just got updated to Kit Kat and this is exactly what it does

NealJ777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I keep getting a screen pop up to update to kit Kat really don't want it is there anyway to get rid of the notification without downloading it

I guess you don't want the ability to do Tap & Pay with Google Wallet.

I <3 using Tap & Pay. It's so convenient and it freaks out the cashiers. :D

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I keep getting a screen pop up to update to kit Kat really don't want it is there anyway to get rid of the notification without downloading it

Root your phone and freeze the ota notification. Other than that no, it will keep annoying you until you give in. You mine as well bite the bullet now or you will have a crippled user experience moving forward especially with the Moto apps being updated through the play store.

Oofa

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I guess I prefer a dial pad to pop up when hitting the phone icon because in my line of work, I need to call numbers once or twice and they are not in my contacts. I have made it a habit to actually remember contacts phone numbers like in the good ol' days (yes, I am over 50 and don't have 1000's of contacts) and usually just dial their number instead of looking for them in contacts. It would be nice to have an option of what shows up when hitting that phone icon.
I don't want to rag on 4.4 as if it were the worst thing out there just because I don't like the dialer. It isn't.

I do like the camera improvements.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I guess I prefer a dial pad to pop up when hitting the phone icon because in my line of work, I need to call numbers once or twice and they are not in my contacts. I have made it a habit to actually remember contacts phone numbers like in the good ol' days (yes, I am over 50 and don't have 1000's of contacts) and usually just dial their number instead of looking for them in contacts. It would be nice to have an option of what shows up when hitting that phone icon.
I don't want to rag on 4.4 as if it were the worst thing out there just because I don't like the dialer. It isn't.

I do like the camera improvements.

Have you thought of getting a different dialer application?

JMcGaw

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I hadn't even considered it. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll snoop around to see what is available.

If you exit the dialer with the dialer keypad open (using the home button) it will be there when you return to the phone dialer. I only wish it would do it when you exit while in history (logs). The more little tricks I learn about the moto x the more I really like it. I didn't get to use 4.2 enough but 4.4 seems just fine.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon