Any reason NOT to buy a MotoX?

myusername

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Lack of SD card and the smaller screen size are the only things I can come up with. It took my a couple weeks to be okay with the smaller screen. That was my major "regret" that turned out to be a non-issue. I actually think I like a smaller brick in my pocket now.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Lack of SD card and the smaller screen size are the only things I can come up with. It took my a couple weeks to be okay with the smaller screen. That was my major "regret" that turned out to be a non-issue. I actually think I like a smaller brick in my pocket now.

Good points. If you are coming from a Note or other big phone that may be an adjustment. Also if you had the removable battery and could add an SD card it could be a challenge for some. I really liked my Note 2 and still do, however the X offers things the Note doesn't. It is really what features matter to you.

The comments earlier in the thread about active notifications baffle me. No other phone offers anything like this. It's one of the best features of the phone in my opinion. Just goes to show that some people can find something wrong with just about anything.

Sent from my Moto X

Vaas

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Love active notification
Love Ok Google Now --- use this all the time
Love Moto Assist - drive/sleep
Love dream mode
Love the skip and dots - very handy but watch the where you put the skip so you do not lose it
Love fast updating
Love Moto - they really seem to try and make a great phone, not just spec's
Love? ok maybe Like customer support. I went round and round on an item with them, it really wasnot a fault of anyone I was not eligable for it. However for my time they gave me a $25 google play card, really did not have too
Hope to Love Google Wallet - havenot used it yet, setting it up
Love Trusted Bluetooth

I do not know anything about the S4 so can not comment as I came from a Lumia 920. The camera is good not great on the X.
Love double twist to start camera

*some of the features maybe on other Android phones, this is my first Android :)

Good luck in your choice.

Jay Sacks

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Only reason I can think of is Droid Maxx...same features, larger screen, killer battery and wireless charging. Happy I bought this for my wife instead of the X. She always forgets to charge at night. This morning there was still 70%.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk

Shawn Magm

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I just got mine (AT&T non-contract) and am testing it out, comparing it to my N5.

Here are some reasons:
1. Prefer larger screen
2. Do not like saturated colors of AMOLED. Personally, I like the way the colors pop compared to the N5, although as I understand, the N5 has more accurate colors.
3. Need native tethering. Cannot get native tethering. Perhaps with root or Foxfi/pdaNet. Wish I pulled the trigger on the Dev model on Cyber Monday.
4. Need an unlocked, non-contract phone. Unless you get the Developer edition.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
So, I recently got a MotoX for my wife, and from what I can see, it's downright good phone. The experience is smooth, lag free, and there are no extraneous interface "features" that get in your way or slow it down. I have a Galaxy S4, and I have to say that, from the small amount of time I've spent tinkering with the Moto, it runs better than the S4 in many ways. I'm now tempted to ditch my S4 and go for a Moto X. Can anyone think of a reason not to? I've laid out the pros/cons in my head, but am just trying to see if I'm missing anything in my analysis. Obviously, this is a rather subjective matter, so I understand that much of what people will say in response is going to be your perception or opinion, but I still want to hear it.

Thanks in advance,

Sean

Here's one more reason to buy Moto X. contract 50% off.. off contract $150 off

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/12/2...ns-for-att-and-sprint-50-off-accessories-too/

blacksapphire08

May 2, 2010
Visit site
IMO the only reasons not to buy the Moto X is if you really need a good camera, especially for close ups, or the build quality. It can't seem to focus on anything within 12" of the camera. Im used to HTC phones so I was a little disappointed with the quality but its still a lot nicer than other plastic phones.

Posted via Android Central App

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
If you want a phone with a bloated OS that will become slower and more laggy over time and which may not see many future OS updates, then you should not get a Moto X.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
The moto x is a killer device, near perfect. However I did send mine back and went back to my gs3. Not because it was bad, but because the below issues made it not worth the extra money to me (net cost would be about $200 for the 32gb version i got if i would have sold my gs3 to cover some of the off contract price: $430 - $225).

The camera is the main issue. You'll take a picture and it will look good. The next picture you take will look like it has some weird instagram filter on it (queue the "my camera doesnt do that" and "carry a dslr" folks). Fine if you like the hipster instagram look applied at random to your photos, not quite as fun if you don't. Go to https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...LEXR1-1%2FMoto-X%2FFLEXR1.html&token=xK7w6zJe and check out those background photos. That is similar to what my photos would randomly look like. However the ability to drag your finger to select the focus AND exposure is awesome, if you're willing to accept the resulting picture quality. And you can't argue with stock android and fast updates.

Exchange issues with 4.4 is another (you'll have to use a different exchange app or wait for 4.4.2 to fix this, which may come soon). Exchange stops syncing at random and wake-locks your phone as it tries to re-download until the next reboot.

Anyways it looks like Moto will be running these $150 off promos frequently (there's another one live today). I may pick one up again if these are fixed. Either way Motorola is at the absolute top of my list for my next phone, even above the nexus devices. Motorola shipped my phone lightning fast and the return was a piece of cake and customer service was awesome.

globster2000

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
If you like the MX as a product and your not solely basing your purchase on the camera then I suggest you to buy, or wait for the rest of the wood backs. Personally speaking, I would move mountains to have a wood phone that curves gently into my hands. Nevertheless, to have my phone engraved with my name. Anyways, if you decide to pickup the MX then also pickup a cheap Motorola Admiral on eBay. You can find the MA listed as $10-$20 and you can trade in the MA for a $100 gift credit card after you purchase the MX.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
So, I recently got a MotoX for my wife, and from what I can see, it's downright good phone. The experience is smooth, lag free, and there are no extraneous interface "features" that get in your way or slow it down. I have a Galaxy S4, and I have to say that, from the small amount of time I've spent tinkering with the Moto, it runs better than the S4 in many ways. I'm now tempted to ditch my S4 and go for a Moto X. Can anyone think of a reason not to?
Camera is the only thing I can think of that could be a deal breaker for many people. And lack of a full HD (1080p) screen may also be a deal breaker for many people.

Lack of an external SD card and lack of a removable battery are important cons for some people, too.

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
If specs/features don't clarify a decision then I'm very much a proponent of getting hands on time with whatever devices you're considering.

Often times you'll have an immediate preference for one device when you hold it and see it firsthand and that right there can be a great guide. Otherwise come up with some common tasks you use your phone for and try them out on each phone. Which one makes your every day tasks easier? The harder part: ideally you should have someone educated on each phone guide you through doing those tasks, otherwise you may overlook a cool feature that you just don't know about. For example if you don't know what Active Display or other unique-to-Moto X features are, you most likely won't try them out and overlook significant advantages it has.

If you spend time physically trying out each phone, seeing how its screen looks in real life and not just via YouTube, and have someone help you see how each can make your daily activities easier you'll have a great experience base for saying "I should get PhoneXyz instead of Moto X" or "I should get Moto X instead of PhoneXyz". It's a bit more legwork but nothing beats initial research followed by in-person time with each candidate.

nyc_rock

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
I just got mine (AT&T non-contract) and am testing it out, comparing it to my N5.

Here are some reasons:
1. Prefer larger screen
2. Do not like saturated colors of AMOLED. Personally, I like the way the colors pop compared to the N5, although as I understand, the N5 has more accurate colors.
3. Need native tethering. Cannot get native tethering. Perhaps with root or Foxfi/pdaNet. Wish I pulled the trigger on the Dev model on Cyber Monday.
4. Need an unlocked, non-contract phone. Unless you get the Developer edition.

If you like the phone and want teathering without root then get the Tmobile version. Its totally unlocked, supports all of ATT's LTE bands and has not ATT bloat or software restrictions. Wifi tethering works fine.

Shawn Magm

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
If you like the phone and want teathering without root then get the Tmobile version. Its totally unlocked, supports all of ATT's LTE bands and has not ATT bloat or software restrictions. Wifi tethering works fine.

Thanks. Dammit, I should have consulted you first before I purchased it.

gingersnapgirl

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Camera is the only thing I can think of that could be a deal breaker for many people. And lack of a full HD (1080p) screen may also be a deal breaker for many people.

Lack of an external SD card and lack of a removable battery are important cons for some people, too.

Having come from a Galaxy S3 myself, these were things I *thought* would be issues. Although I would prefer expandable memory, I chose the 32GB version and haven't had an issue yet. As for the removable battery - my battery lasts much longer with the Moto X, so this has been a non-issue. There simply isn't a need for a replaceable battery with my usage. Sure, it would be nice to have, just in case, but I suspect it would simply take up space in my pocket/purse.

tech addicted

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
IMO the only reasons not to buy the Moto X is if you really need a good camera, especially for close ups, or the build quality. It can't seem to focus on anything within 12" of the camera. Im used to HTC phones so I was a little disappointed with the quality but its still a lot nicer than other plastic phones.

Something is must be. Wrong with your phone mine takes very good close ups its focus where I point it the only thing is the low light shots are need a lot of improvement.

Wollombi

May 29, 2012
Visit site
So, I went ahead and bought the Moto X. Will be selling the S4 in the near future. I love the Moto so far, and it arrived 3 days earlier than anticipated. Moto turned around and offered a promo right after I bought it, but when I contacted them, they offered me the difference in coupons for Moto accessories (except Chromecast...bummer). Not as good as cash, but still not bad, either.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1