12-08-2015 05:17 AM
50 12
tools
    My dads Moto X had the same issue since he uses work email. What I did to fix the problem was to set sync frequency to check for mail every 15 minutes. Hopefully the next update they will fix this problem but follow what I did and hopefully it will work.
    I tried that also and it didn't change anything.

Was thinking about using Mail Wise, but wonder if it uses Exchange Services and the same problem will happen anyway.
    12-30-2013 03:41 PM
    i got a international version of S4 GTi9500...and i am on Android 4.3 and since i got the last OTA (about 4 weeks back)...my battery drain is unstoppable and the cause is "Exchange services" - perpetually running 45%+ and there is no way to shut the damn thing down. Dont know whether its microsoft and google who needs to fix but this better be fixed soon...my S4 that used to give me 14 hours easy...goes "puff" in 4...

sorry to say but i am glad i am not alone... pls update this if you found a workaround/fix
    01-06-2014 07:53 AM
    sorry to say but i am glad i am not alone... pls update this if you found a workaround/fix
    Nothing. All I have been able to do is delete the account and then re-add it. Messes up my custom ringtones and Sync.me stuff. Annoying. Very annoying.
    01-06-2014 09:07 AM
    Moto X: Exchange Services killing my battery...HELP!-screenshot_2014-01-07-19-32-24.jpg guess what..i deleted the account and resent the exchange server and my phone has been cold as hell since yesterday...and i dont even see "exchange services " in the top in the battery section...infact its far bottom at only 5%..which seems reasonable..i just noticed that its been 6 hours i didn't connect the phone to power cord and the batter just dropped from 69% to 55%... WOW!!!! fingers crossed that the "exchange services" crap doesn't show up again...

my sync settings are set to "PUSH", sync period is 2 weeks (which was same as earlier) and i removed the google calendar widget from the home screen and added the any.do calender...these are the only changes i've made...beats me what fixed this!!!!
    01-07-2014 08:00 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2014-01-07-19-32-24.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	149.1 KB 
ID:	100031 guess what..i deleted the account and resent the exchange server and my phone has been cold as hell since yesterday...and i dont even see "exchange services " in the top in the battery section...infact its far bottom at only 5%..which seems reasonable..i just noticed that its been 6 hours i didn't connect the phone to power cord and the batter just dropped from 69% to 55%... WOW!!!! fingers crossed that the "exchange services" crap doesn't show up again.

my sync settings are set to "PUSH", sync period is 2 weeks (which was same as earlier) and i removed the google calendar widget from the home screen and added the any.do calender...these are the only changes i've made...beats me what fixed this!!!!
    I've tried that too but it seems to only be a temporary fix for me. My Exchange services doesn't eat up the battery on my phone as much as it does on yours, but I do notice that all of a sudden, the phone stops syncing my calendar and email w/ my corporate Exchange server. Force stopping the syncing then manually re-syncing it seems to fix it for a few hours. Removing the account, rebooting and adding it back seems to fix the syncing problem for a day or two, but the problem always comes back. :-(
    01-07-2014 12:48 PM
    As someone stated before, this is caused by a bug in the Exchange Services for Android 4.4.
    I was experiencing the same thing on my Galaxy Nexus until it was updated to 4.4.2 and now that I've upgraded to the Moto X it is happening again.

There is no permanent fix. It will randomly happen again until Motorola upgrades the X to 4.4.2.
    01-07-2014 02:37 PM
    will wait to see when the issue comes up again...right now i dont even see "exchange services" in the battery section and the phone has been on no charge since the past 11 hours 30 mins and with pretty good use and lost about 78%.... i have 22% juice remaining and i am sure it'll last another 3 at least. So my conclusion is that the battery provided for S4 is not as bad - but it's really some s/w issue that screws it up every now and then...

i'm a pretty heavy user of the phone and i'll be pleased if i get about 10hours without charge... looking forward to all the crap that comes with the android 4.4 upgrade in the next few weeks )
    01-08-2014 03:26 AM
    i said it too quickly i guess...and its back chewing up 54% of my battery..Duh!! Does anyone at Google/MS even listen to its customers!!

As someone stated before, this is caused by a bug in the Exchange Services for Android 4.4.
    I was experiencing the same thing on my Galaxy Nexus until it was updated to 4.4.2 and now that I've upgraded to the Moto X it is happening again.

There is no permanent fix. It will randomly happen again until Motorola upgrades the X to 4.4.2.
    01-09-2014 06:46 AM
    Anyone have any luck fixing this?

It happened again this morning for the third time, ironically, they have been exactly 1 week apart!!

Now its starting to cost me money if i don't catch it before i leave my office or house and get onto Mobile Data. The first time it used 800mb on mobile in less than a day!!
    01-30-2014 11:46 AM
    Anyone have any luck fixing this?

It happened again this morning for the third time, ironically, they have been exactly 1 week apart!!

Now its starting to cost me money if i don't catch it before i leave my office or house and get onto Mobile Data. The first time it used 800mb on mobile in less than a day!!
    I am the OP and I am still having this problem. It was happening every 4 days like clockwork at 2pm.

I did also have sync.me installed and once I removed that it stopped. I wonder if Exchange was trying to sync all of these photos back Outlook, thus causing the data drain and battery drop.

Hopefully 4.4.2 is on the way (for VZW) sooner than later.
    01-31-2014 08:35 AM
    Hmmm, Sync.me huh? I have it installed as too, though not for much longer.

I'll update next Thursday!!!
    01-31-2014 03:07 PM
    Well I uninstalled Sync.me and it seems to have stopped the problem.
    DJJeffT likes this.
    02-06-2014 04:29 PM
    I tried that also and it didn't change anything.

Was thinking about using Mail Wise, but wonder if it uses Exchange Services and the same problem will happen anyway.
    Mail wise works great on 4.4. I'm using it to avoid the full device encryption enforced by my exchange policy.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
    02-06-2014 07:05 PM
    Strange, Mailwise forced me to encrypt, but had not removed access to NFC unlock and trusted devices, which my exchange policy removed access to.

Posted via my Moto X
    02-06-2014 07:38 PM
    Strange, Mailwise forced me to encrypt, but had not removed access to NFC unlock and trusted devices, which my exchange policy removed access to.

Posted via my Moto X
    Did you enter the code for exchange bypass before configuring the account?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
    02-06-2014 07:53 PM
    No, I didn't. No big deal, still have access to NFC unlock and trusted services., and a seven digit pin doesn't hurt.

Posted via my Moto X
    02-06-2014 08:01 PM
    It's back " exchange services" after the 4.4.2 update...damn !!!

Posted via Android Central App
    03-02-2014 09:21 PM
    Folks this is not just a 4.4 issue. My S4 is still on 4.3 (Verizon!) and about 7-10 days ago started doing exactly what you're all reporting. Deleting the Exchange account, rebooting, recreating account, reducing updates to *manual* -- NONE of this helped. I get 6 hours if I don;t touch the phone. If I touch it, I get less. This blows. Too bad there's no such thing as a true factory reset.
    03-02-2014 10:19 PM
    It's back " exchange services" after the 4.4.2 update...damn !!!

I have not had any issues since deleting sync.me. I think that was my culprit. Do you have it installed?
    03-03-2014 10:24 AM
    i dont think a lot of us have even installed sync.me ...so its happening without sync.me. so its a problem independent of sync.me IMHO... not sure if you meant something else...cheers

I have not had any issues since deleting sync.me. I think that was my culprit. Do you have it installed?
    03-04-2014 01:40 AM
    I have a samsung s4, my issue is the same except I uninstalled/deleted ALL my accounts, clicked force stop on exchange server, turned off wifi, mobile data etc and put my phone in flight mode and disabled exchange server from working except over wifi and tried disabling it everywhere i saw it... I restarted my phone twice as well

... but it is still draining my battery like crazy with 30% usage shown in the battery app. My brand new s4 has a battery life of about 2-3 hours which is seriously wrong. The force stop does not even seem to work on exchange services. Currently the only thing that is being synced is the google account for the play store!

What do I do?
    04-24-2014 08:28 PM
    I have a samsung s4, my issue is the same except I uninstalled/deleted ALL my accounts, clicked force stop on exchange server, turned off wifi, mobile data etc and put my phone in flight mode and disabled exchange server from working except over wifi and tried disabling it everywhere i saw it... I restarted my phone twice as well

... but it is still draining my battery like crazy with 30% usage shown in the battery app. My brand new s4 has a battery life of about 2-3 hours which is seriously wrong. The force stop does not even seem to work on exchange services. Currently the only thing that is being synced is the google account for the play store!

What do I do?
    Samsung will make u a patient person ) ...the battery drain occurs and disappears randomly ...I my case It's the exchange services that is culprit always. I haven't had battery issues for the past 6-8 weeks and my battery is lasting 10 hours...but hey tomorrow could be another story. Cheers

04-29-2014 11:24 AM
    Just changing the Sync frequency to 5 Minutes or more is enough to stop the battery train.. The problem actualy appears on option "Push" on sync option
    06-18-2014 06:08 AM
    The problem is not the phone. It is exchange.

Go to mobile devices. (On my account every phone I ever had connected to exhange was listed.)
    Delete all of them. (Including the one you have now.)
    On your phone 1. Force stop 2. Clear data and cache 3. Delete account. 4. Restart 5. Re-add exchange services.

Give it about a day. The exchange drain will drop way down the list. (On mine went from 60% to 5%)

I also changed from push to every 15min, but I had tried this prior to finding the OWA solution with no change.

Hope this helps. If already posted ... consider this confirmation.
    01-07-2015 12:08 PM
    I had the same happen to me today on my OnePlus Two in my case my corporate email password required changing and once I also changed that in my phones settings then the continuous sync disappeared thus eliminating battery drain
    12-08-2015 05:17 AM
50 12