Phone stays awake after in-pocket call

pgoelz

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I have discovered that after an incoming or outgoing call with the phone in my pocket (like a bluetooth call or a missed call), my Moto X does not go back to sleep. It remains awake and the next time it is removed from my pocket, the screen turns on to an unlocked state without any unlock action on my part. I use slide unlock. It looks like this behavior does not occur with a PIN unlock, but I have not tested thoroughly.

I have most background tasks disabled and my standby drain with the phone asleep is about 1%/hour. This is increased by about 50% when the phone fails to go to sleep due to this issue. I would imagine that folks with more active background tasks would see a much higher standby drain with the phone awake.

Perhaps this is an explanation for what some see as "random" excessive battery drain?

SEE THIS THREAD for more background info.

Paul

globster2000

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
You have an interesting theory for bad idle drain. Maybe that is also my problem for excess drain. I know for a fact that sometimes my phone glitches with Google Play Services or Motorola slpc Services, and this will make my phone always awake. When this glitch occurs, I see 20% of my battery burn in one hour. I had to reboot my phone several times to temporary fix the problem.

Posted via Android Central App

pgoelz

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I don't know if this explains all excessive drain, but it certainly can explain some. Note that it is very easy to tell if this is happening.... the battery stats will show the phone continuously awake and the "phone" entry will show it has kept the phone awake.

It is unfortunate that manually locking the phone does not put it back to sleep if this issue is active.... it certainly did not last night. I did some testing and installed "Lock after Call", charged, unplugged and went to bed. In the morning, I saw the phone had been awake (with the screen off) all night and was still awake. Rebooting put it back to sleep. I'll have to do some more testing to see if that is always true.

Paul

globster2000

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I don't know if this explains all excessive drain, but it certainly can explain some. Note that it is very easy to tell if this is happening.... the battery stats will show the phone continuously awake and the "phone" entry will show it has kept the phone awake.

It is unfortunate that manually locking the phone does not put it back to sleep if this issue is active.... it certainly did not last night. I did some testing and installed "Lock after Call", charged, unplugged and went to bed. In the morning, I saw the phone had been awake (with the screen off) all night and was still awake. Rebooting put it back to sleep. I'll have to do some more testing to see if that is always true.
Paul

I want to confirm that my phone kept constantly on today when I had a missed phone call. I wonder if anyone else have this problem

Edit: Here is a screenshot of my battery stats from earlier today. Note that the screenshot shows no network available because I took it in the parking garage where my car was parked, but the problem occurred at work where I had okay reception. To repeat problem, place your phone in your pocket, have someone call you, and do not answer the call. You will find, at least with my phone and with pgoalz' phone, that your phone's cpu will be constantly awake, and the only way to un-glitch the phone is to reboot the phone. I have tried turning off the screen, clearing notifications, and placing phone on charger, and so far nothing turns off the cpu except if you do a reboot.

2nd Edit: I had motorola assist on with meetings activated because I was at work. I am unsure if this problem is created by missed calls in general, or if this happens when assist and meetings is activated and you receive a missed call.

Screenshot_2013-12-23-14-10-33.png

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

pgoelz

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
As the OP, just thought I'd bump this. And I'm wondering if anyone knows how to post a bug to the Android development team. This would seem to be a serious bug that can explain all sorts of random battery drain and is easily duplicated.

I'm contemplating calling Motorola but I have my doubts they can add anything. I'm betting they will just decline any knowledge of the issue and tell me to do a factory reset. Not that that isn't a good idea. I just doubt it will fix anything.

FWIW, I do NOT use Assist or Touchless Controls. I do use Active Display.

Paul

Paul

asdrew

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I have a similar issue with it taking a whole series of pocket photos or videos. I usually find out because it starts getting very hot in my pocket from the fast battery drain and then find 8-10 photos it just took. I don't get many calls, so I 'm not sure what keeps triggering it on. Possibly my movements make it think I'm using the shake to activate camera mode? (Honestly, I'm NOT twerking!)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1