Free WiFi tether on Verizon with Unlimited Data

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Do I need to root to be able to do this without paying the $30? I used switchpro widget on my GNex and it didn't need root. But on my Moto X, it won't do it without having me pay $30. I think KitKat may be different than Jelly Bean.

Are there other apps to use for this?

Last edited:

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: WiFi tether on Verizon with Unlimited Data

Yes, Foxfi allows it. Something good to have when on the go and want to connect other devices.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using AC Forums mobile app

zyphbear

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site

Yes, Foxfi allows it. Something good to have when on the go and want to connect other devices.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using AC Forums mobile app

Actually, I had FoxFi on my old Galaxy Nexus before switching to a Moto X. I got the Moto X on CyberWednesday and allowed it to upgrade to KitKat before installing my apps, and when I attempted to get FoxFi to work, it tries to use VPN to allow for the connection, but just keeps saying it failed trying to update my subscription.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site

Actually, I had FoxFi on my old Galaxy Nexus before switching to a Moto X. I got the Moto X on CyberWednesday and allowed it to upgrade to KitKat before installing my apps, and when I attempted to get FoxFi to work, it tries to use VPN to allow for the connection, but just keeps saying it failed trying to update my subscription.
On my GNex I used switchpro widget and it worked fine. I had to pay $2.99 for the app, but it was worth it.

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site

If you use PDA Net and connect via USB it works just fine.

That's good to know for computers! I'm hoping Fox fi find a fix for Kit Kat so I can do a Wi-Fi tether for my kids' i-devices

Sent from my Moto X

GNRPowdeR

May 5, 2010
Visit site

Got the same message as with Fox-Fi on my Note 2 using VZW

Tried something different and installed PDANet while leaving Fox-Fi installed. Launched PDANet. Chose the Wi-Fi option which took me to the Fox-Fi app. I was then told that the app needed to install a certificate and start a VPN. Clicked OK a few times and the Hot Spot started working! Confused what happened between yesterday and now, but it's working...

Side Note - Not sure the app was ever actually hiding data usage from carriers, but it was designed to circumvent the tethering fees.

snoking

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

Maybe you just activated paid tethering? Chris

Sent from my A200 using AC Forums mobile app

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site

That's good to know for computers! I'm hoping Fox fi find a fix for Kit Kat so I can do a Wi-Fi tether for my kids' i-devices

Sent from my Moto X

Is there a way to tether from the Moto X to a Nexus 7 with a microUSB cable since Foxfi wifi won't work?

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site

Do I need to root to be able to do this without paying the $30? I used switchpro widget on my GNex and it didn't need root. But on my Moto X, it won't do it without having me pay $30. I think KitKat may be different than Jelly Bean.

Are there other apps to use for this?

I use the Android Tether App, on my rooted Moto X running 4.4. Works like a dream.

alphabets

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site

Is anyone else using Verizon and just able to tether using the stock mobile hotspot in the settings? I can tether whether on Wi-Fi or on a mobile connection no problem. I don't need an aftermarket app.

Sent from my Moto X

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power