Two Moto X's, Different Results

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I've had a saga of issues with my first Moto X - reception, speaker, microphone, etc.

I ordered a replacement and just received it yesterday. I have since set it up to the exact specifications of the first Moto X I received - which is still in my possession - and I'm now having other issues with the 2nd phone. Both have the KitKat update. Both have the same build (13.11.3Q2.X-69-3-8), and everything is set up the same.

Here are the problems:

1. Phone #2: the reception - even on Wifi - is jerky. Like it's struggling to keep a steady stream.
2. Phone #2 is slower to boot.
3. Phone #2 is slower on speed/reception
4. Phone #2 is missing a system file? (See below for explanation)

I've set the phones side-by-side and turned them both off, then turn them on simultaneously. The 2nd phone takes 15 seconds longer to fully boot. But that's not all.

I've run a speed test on wifi on both, standing right next to my home router, and turning off mobile data to make sure it doesn't interfere with the testing. Repeatedly, the replacement phone (phone #2), comes out behind the 1st phone (the one I want to return), the ping is higher, and the speed is jerky. What I mean by "jerky" is that when the 1st phone runs a speed test, it's a smooth sweep with the speed test needle - and it's steady, getting a good 28-32Mbps down (I have 35Mbps via cable internet). The 2nd (replacement phone) gets an inconsistent 19-26Mbps down, and the pings is always higher, sometimes by 20-30 points. I also noticed this on pulling down emails: On Mail Droid, on both, the 1st phone pulls it down, no problem. The 2nd, replacement phone freezes and gives me the message "cannot connect to server" and I have to hit refresh too many times for it to work. I already hard reset both phones.

Finally, my 1st phone has something under the Battery option that is missing on the 2nd (replacement) phone: it's the Android KitKat logo, with "com.android.systemui" next to it. This can't be found anywhere on the 2nd phone. I'm attaching photos of both the speed test and the missing systemui. See photos below.

And, let me tell you, the 2nd phone is not that much better on speaker/audio. People still claim to have a harder time hearing me, and when I record my own voice on my voice mail greeting, it's barely audible - even though I'm speaking rather loudly.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• speed.jpg
    speed.jpg
    340.9 KB · Views: 241
  • Systemui.jpg
    Systemui.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 261

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I've had a saga of issues with my first Moto X - reception, speaker, microphone, etc.

I ordered a replacement and just received it yesterday. I have since set it up to the exact specifications of the first Moto X I received - which is still in my possession - and I'm now having other issues with the 2nd phone. Both have the KitKat update. Both have the same build (13.11.3Q2.X-69-3-8), and everything is set up the same.

Here are the problems:

1. Phone #2: the reception - even on Wifi - is jerky. Like it's struggling to keep a steady stream.
2. Phone #2 is slower to boot.
3. Phone #2 is slower on speed/reception
4. Phone #2 is missing a system file? (See below for explanation)

I've set the phones side-by-side and turned them both off, then turn them on simultaneously. The 2nd phone takes 15 seconds longer to fully boot. But that's not all.

I've run a speed test on wifi on both, standing right next to my home router, and turning off mobile data to make sure it doesn't interfere with the testing. Repeatedly, the replacement phone (phone #2), comes out behind the 1st phone (the one I want to return), the ping is higher, and the speed is jerky. What I mean by "jerky" is that when the 1st phone runs a speed test, it's a smooth sweep with the speed test needle - and it's steady, getting a good 28-32Mbps down (I have 35Mbps via cable internet). The 2nd (replacement phone) gets an inconsistent 19-26Mbps down, and the pings is always higher, sometimes by 20-30 points. I also noticed this on pulling down emails: On Mail Droid, on both, the 1st phone pulls it down, no problem. The 2nd, replacement phone freezes and gives me the message "cannot connect to server" and I have to hit refresh too many times for it to work. I already hard reset both phones.

Finally, my 1st phone has something under the Battery option that is missing on the 2nd (replacement) phone: it's the Android KitKat logo, with "com.android.systemui" next to it. This can't be found anywhere on the 2nd phone. I'm attaching photos of both the speed test and the missing systemui. See photos below.

And, let me tell you, the 2nd phone is not that much better on speaker/audio. People still claim to have a harder time hearing me, and when I record my own voice on my voice mail greeting, it's barely audible - even though I'm speaking rather loudly.

Thoughts?

Looks like phone #2 is defective. The "com.android.systemui" isn't anything to be concerned with, sometimes it will show. Other times it won't, depends on what you do with the phone

Posted via Android Central App

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Looks like phone #2 is defective. The "com.android.systemui" isn't anything to be concerned with, sometimes it will show. Other times it won't, depends on what you do with the phone

Can you expand on this "defective" comment? I was told the first one is defective, which is why I ordered phone #2. How many defective devices do they mail out?

svenEDGE

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
I've had a handful of Moto Xs because of issues like these and then some. Just keep asking for replacements until you get one that works for you. The one I have now is flawless (as far as I can tell).

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Try a factory reset and see if the problems persists

I did. I wrote that in bold.

- - - Updated - - -

I've had a handful of Moto Xs because of issues like these and then some. Just keep asking for replacements until you get one that works for you. The one I have now is flawless (as far as I can tell).
Did you, really? :( Did you have to pay for a replacement every time? Or send it back, then get the next one? How long did it take you to get an actual working one?

This is a nightmare...

svenEDGE

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
I did. I wrote that in bold.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you, really? :( Did you have to pay for a replacement every time? Or send it back, then get the next one? How long did it take you to get an actual working one?

This is a nightmare...

Idk who your carrier is but with Verizon I just call them and tell them I have an issue. If its a hardware issue or a software issue that doesn't get fixed after a hard reset, they send me a replacement the next day with a pre-paid return label for me to send the defective phone back to them. Its a pretty hassle free process.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Idk who your carrier is but with Verizon I just call them and tell them I have an issue. If its a hardware issue or a software issue that doesn't get fixed after a hard reset, they send me a replacement the next day with a pre-paid return label for me to send the defective phone back to them. Its a pretty hassle free process.

It's Sprint, but this is a Motomaker designed phone, so they couldn't send me one, even if they wanted to.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Can you expand on this "defective" comment? I was told the first one is defective, which is why I ordered phone #2. How many defective devices do they mail out?

At the beginning of your 1st comment you stated phone #2 had issues with the WiFi, speed and reception issues...that's definitely not something normal with a brand new phone. Definitely seems like a lemon to me

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
At the beginning of your 1st comment you stated phone #2 had issues with the WiFi, speed and reception issues...that's definitely not something normal with a brand new phone. Definitely seems like a lemon to me

I had those issues with Phone #1. And Phone #2 is not doing much better - in fact, it's doing worse. How many lemons can there be?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I had those issues with Phone #1. And Phone #2 is not doing much better - in fact, it's doing worse. How many lemons can there be?

Sounds like you just got unlucky, Moto should replace it if you give them a call.

svenEDGE

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
It's Sprint, but this is a Motomaker designed phone, so they couldn't send me one, even if they wanted to.

Have you asked sprint? I asked Verizon prior to buying my moto maker and they said they would replace it the same way they would with a regular one.

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like you just got unlucky, Moto should replace it if you give them a call.

If I wait another 10 days, yea. I hate this... :'(

- - - Updated - - -

Have you asked sprint? I asked Verizon prior to buying my moto maker and they said they would replace it the same way they would with a regular one.

They can't, because they don't carry the 32GB Moto X - only the 16 GB. So it's back to the nightmare with Motorola I go.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
If I wait another 10 days, yea. I hate this... :'(

- - - Updated - - -

They can't, because they don't carry the 32GB Moto X - only the 16 GB. So it's back to the nightmare with Motorola I go.

Darn :\
Hopefully the next one works fine. It'll be worth it though, the Moto X is an amazing phone

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Darn :\
Hopefully the next one works fine. It'll be worth it though, the Moto X is an amazing phone

I'm not sure how it's amazing, seeing as it's one faulty phone after another. It can't both be the built - they were made weeks apart. I'm not sure if I even want this phone anymore. What a hassle...!

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure how it's amazing, seeing as it's one faulty phone after another. It can't both be the built - they were made weeks apart. I'm not sure if I even want this phone anymore. What a hassle...!

It's amazing if you get one without issues. You got unlucky, that doesn't mean all phones are going to be lemons.

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. I'll see what I can do with this situation tomorrow.

I would get out of these forums and start communicating with Motorola engineers on Google +. There are a slew of them there..

I found a bug in the Bluetooth stack in the Qualcomm chip and 48hrs later Motorola sent a engineer to my house with a stack of special phones that allowed them to run logs and debugs to fix the software issue. Motorola is dedicated to making their business a success. Calling their care is not the way to go. Get on G+ & start talking to people that can get you a phone that works.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463