Two Moto X's, Different Results

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Heaven help me with off-shore employees who supposedly speak English but can't seem to put two sentences together!

I've been researching the Nexus 5 32GB. Apparently, the 16GB is available on Sprint but the 32GB can be purchased through Sprint WorldWide Chat - where people don't speak or understand English :mad:

I would be tempted to help you, but your xenophobia is really unattractive.

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I would be tempted to help you, but your xenophobia is really unattractive.

It's not xenophobia; it's a fact. I'm multilingual myself and English is not my first language, actually. So I feel comfortable in commenting on someone else's command of the language when they're supposed to be working in a position that requires the use of the said language. Literally, I made my question to the last 3 CSRs really simple (in an online chat, no less - so it's not like they had to "hear" me), and they answered with something that was completely unrelated. Clearly I was not in the wrong, as their supervisor sent me a post-chat email, apologizing for their employee, and responding to my very simple question of, "Can the 32GB Nexus 5 be bought through Sprint on an upgrade contract?"

In any case, the answer to the above question I put to Sprint - in case anyone else wants to know - is no. So the price for the Nexus 5 is off-contract.

Incidentally, I've been looking at the LG G2. Never even crossed my radar until today when I'm looking for alternatives. I'd consider the Galaxy S4 but...I had the S2 and had loads of problems with reception, so I'm wary of Samsung phones.

tech addicted

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
I have the moto x and compared to my HTC one S the signal is better and T-Mobile 4G LTE is kicks *** I'm getting 32mb/sec download speeds in my house . well the better reception maybe explaned by the fact the htc did not have 4G LTE radio, when I drive around New York city I used to loose signal when I listening to internet radio, that won't happening anymore . so far so good, what's weird is in your case is you have replaced the phone 2 times and still same issues so either your area has bad reception or the moto x they sending you is defective.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience, maybe the nexus 5 will be better if not than I guess you can try moto x again.

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I have the moto x and compared to my HTC one S the signal is better and T-Mobile 4G LTE is kicks *** I'm getting 32mb/sec download speeds in my house . well the better reception maybe explaned by the fact the htc did not have 4G LTE radio, when I drive around New York city I used to loose signal when I listening to internet radio, that won't happening anymore . so far so good, what's weird is in your case is you have replaced the phone 2 times and still same issues so either your area has bad reception or the moto x they sending you is defective.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience, maybe the nexus 5 will be better if not than I guess you can try moto x again.
I used to have T-mobile a LONG time ago (12 years) and the reception was bad in my area - L.A. - so I went with Sprint instead and have been with them since, except for 2 yrs ago when I got frustrated with their "we're building new towers" when really, the service was bad and I switched to Verizon. They were even worse in my area.

The Moto X, in my case, was always dropping reception, esp. 4G and trying to connect to the internet. It was fine on Wifi, but I don't have access while I'm driving around and the whole point of a phone (to me) is to have a help line in case I'm stranded somewhere - which I was, 2 nights ago, and the Moto X sat there looking pretty, but "unable to connect to Google at this time" in the middle of some city. Not good.

I really am considering the Nexus 5 now. It's more expensive, but maybe if it'll actually work? The LG G2, I've been reading, has reception/known call quality issues, and I'm not doing that again. But since LG makes the Nexus phones as well, it worries me that it'll be the same experience on the Nexus 5. I'm really not sure. But if all else fails, I'll have to try another Moto X and see if that works. Otherwise, I'll have to give up the ghost of the Moto.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I used to have T-mobile a LONG time ago (12 years) and the reception was bad in my area - L.A. - so I went with Sprint instead and have been with them since, except for 2 yrs ago when I got frustrated with their "we're building new towers" when really, the service was bad and I switched to Verizon. They were even worse in my area.

The Moto X, in my case, was always dropping reception, esp. 4G and trying to connect to the internet. It was fine on Wifi, but I don't have access while I'm driving around and the whole point of a phone (to me) is to have a help line in case I'm stranded somewhere - which I was, 2 nights ago, and the Moto X sat there looking pretty, but "unable to connect to Google at this time" in the middle of some city. Not good.

I really am considering the Nexus 5 now. It's more expensive, but maybe if it'll actually work? The LG G2, I've been reading, has reception/known call quality issues, and I'm not doing that again. But since LG makes the Nexus phones as well, it worries me that it'll be the same experience on the Nexus 5. I'm really not sure. But if all else fails, I'll have to try another Moto X and see if that works. Otherwise, I'll have to give up the ghost of the Moto.

So you're with Sprint now? T-Mobile is a lot better these days, and in LA the speeds make Sprint look like crap. Motorola phones have the best radios of any phones by far, if you didn't service with that phone, any other will be worse

Posted via Android Central App

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

It's Sprint, even if you don't think so. :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
So you're with Sprint now? T-Mobile is a lot better these days, and in LA the speeds make Sprint look like crap. Motorola phones have the best radios of any phones by far, if you didn't service with that phone, any other will be worse

Yes, except people in my office who have T-mobile have no reception at all - I'm the only one who gets reception, with Sprint - believe it or not. :D

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Yes, except people in my office who have T-mobile have no reception at all - I'm the only one who gets reception, with Sprint - believe it or not. :D

Try AT&T? I don't think you'll see improvement from the Moto X or Nexus 5. The best reason for you to get a Nexus 5 would be so you could bring it to ATT when you realize Sprint isn't working well. Otherwise, I'd recommend going to a Sprint store and choosing whatever does work on their network.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Do a Google search on "Why does Sprint suck". Oh, it doesn't? It just happens that all your brand new phones don't work???? :rolleyes:

mkreef

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
How many defective devices do they mail out?

I know this is a rhetorical question, but I am curious if Motorola will release failure rates for the the X. I know they got a lot of returns due to the early software bugs (speaker cutting out, etc. -- not sure if those returns are counted as hardware failures). Other sources of failure rates for smart phones seem to be 2-3% range for iPhone and top tier android makers (with Blackberry over 10% in some quarters). I recall when the Xbox 360 first came out the early units had failure rates of over 15% compared to PS3 rates of 3%.

I know the first quarter sales numbers for the X were 500K units. Anecdotally they seem to be selling more, so conservatively saying 1M units by now with a failure rate of 3-5% (WAG), that's 30 to 50K defective units shipped out?

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
They're succeeding in making my life more difficult! :p

Actually, I was just talking to a Sprint tech person who seemed very well-versed in phones and is a member of all the usual forums around here, and he highly recommends the Nexus 5. I hadn't considered it before, but now I am. Should I get one instead?

What do you miss about the Moto X? And tbh, the active notification is not that big a deal for me, because I get so many emails, etc. all the time that I have to unlock my phone to see what's come through. The only thing I've read (and correct me if wrong) is that the Nexus 5 doesn't have Google Now as an option (which, btw, doesn't always work anyway).

I'm going to do some spec comparison shortly, but while a beautiful phone is great, I NEED a working phone with good call quality and reception. I have already read something about the Nexus 5 having "ear piece" issues, so I'd be interested in any input. But seriously, the idea of another lemon...I can't.

The only thing I really missed from the X was the Moto Connect feature which let me send and receive text messages from a Chrome browser extension. I have remedied that with an app called desk sms. It works much better and is more consistent than Moto Connect and allows for receiving mms messages as well. Active notifications is still an awesome feature but with a multicolored led light I don't really miss it. Other than that. I find the display sharper and the coloring much more natural on the Nexus 5. Battery life is better on the Moto X but it's not as much of a difference as some lead you to believe. I am able to consistently get over 20 hours up time with 4 or more hours of screen on time.

As far as the 16 vs 32gb with Sprint. As far as I understand, Sprint only sells the 16gb version but if you get a 32gb version from the Play Store or from an individual (Swappa or Craigslist) you can still activate it on Sprint.

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
The only thing I really missed from the X was the Moto Connect feature which let me send and receive text messages from a Chrome browser extension. I have remedied that with an app called desk sms. It works much better and is more consistent than Moto Connect and allows for receiving mms messages as well. Active notifications is still an awesome feature but with a multicolored led light I don't really miss it. Other than that. I find the display sharper and the coloring much more natural on the Nexus 5. Battery life is better on the Moto X but it's not as much of a difference as some lead you to believe. I am able to consistently get over 20 hours up time with 4 or more hours of screen on time.

As far as the 16 vs 32gb with Sprint. As far as I understand, Sprint only sells the 16gb version but if you get a 32gb version from the Play Store or from an individual (Swappa or Craigslist) you can still activate it on Sprint.
Thanks for all that. I've been reading about issues with the Nexus 5 and like all phones, it has its fair share. I think I may try one more Moto X, since they're willing to work with me on it, then throw in the towel on this phone and move on to the Nexus 5, or others. My issue with reception is that if I'm stranded somewhere at night, I want my phone to be working and the Moto X (2 of them!) did not get reception. Did not have this issue with my Photon in 2.5 years.

And I know those of you who do not approve of Sprint, and what's fine, but in my area...it's what's worked best. Beyond that, I have no comments on the service provider, so...I won't respond to those comments.

Honestly, this went from being an experience I looked forward to - designing my phone - to dreading it. I just want to have a working phone and move on with life, y'know?

scrounger

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
My issue with reception is that if I'm stranded somewhere at night, I want my phone to be working and the Moto X (2 of them!) did not get reception. Did not have this issue with my Photon in 2.5 years.

I think everyone would want reception if they were stranded (night or day). You cannot be certain that any phone (or carrier) would have had service where you were stranded.
It's difficult to test since you never know when or where you might be stranded.

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I think everyone would want reception if they were stranded (night or day). You cannot be certain that any phone (or carrier) would have had service where you were stranded.
It's difficult to test since you never know when or where you might be stranded.

I know, and I already had the stranded experience with the Moto X twice. I suppose I'll just have to try phones out and see for myself. No shortcut around it.

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Don't go out and try to get stranded just to test your phone.

Haha! I'll try not to... ;)

Incidentally, Motorola just wrote to say I'll receive my replacement code this afternoon so I can re-order.

I've been on my old, trusty Photon the past few days and speaking on the phone again has been a pleasure. No more, "I'm sorry, I can't hear you" - unlike the Moto X. I dread going through that again.

rxnelson

May 29, 2012
Visit site
... the Bluetooth to get stuck over riding the wireless chip and not allowing me to connect to any wireless networks. Only after a reboot does it work again. this issue was not moto x only but something myself and the Qualcomm/Moto engineer could replicate across devices using Qualcomm chips.

Did they fix or say when it will be fixed? My nexus 4 seems to suffer from simultaneous use of BT and wifi and I have been reading a bug report where a user is having similar issues on a nexus 5. Don't mean to thread jack but I figured a response to the thread would benefit all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Haha! I'll try not to... ;)

Incidentally, Motorola just wrote to say I'll receive my replacement code this afternoon so I can re-order.

I've been on my old, trusty Photon the past few days and speaking on the phone again has been a pleasure. No more, "I'm sorry, I can't hear you" - unlike the Moto X. I dread going through that again.

That's not common :p
Moto is known for great call quality and radios :)