Opinions on whether to switch an old person from an iPhone to a Moto X wanted

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Mom is in her 70's and using an iPhone 5. Jailbreak just came out for the iPhone iOS 7 BUT there is controversy surrounding it and I will not be jailbreaking her phone due to that. She has Verizon unlimited data and wants to WiFi tether her iPad to her phone when she is out and about and with an iPhone, that would mean a jailbreak was required.

I think the Moto X GUI is cleaner than the iPhone and that she would quickly adapt to the Moto X. And I think Assist and touchless controls would really benefit her when she is driving. Those 2 features are a huge added value in my mind.

Camera is not important to her since she doesn't take pictures with her phone.

Any downsides anyone can think of that I am missing? At her age, it is important for her to keep trying to learn new things so that her mind doesn't stagnate so I don't think having to learn a new OS is a downside, rather it is a plus.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
If she could learn how to use an iOS, I don't see why she couldn't also learn to use Android.
I actually think it would be easier to learn Android because I would root and remove everything from the phone except what she actually uses. And I could make her contacts be icons.

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Does your mom really need unlimited data? What is her usage? Is she unhappy with iOS or her iPhone 5? IMO the downside to switching is that she would have to learn a new OS when there isn't much reason for her to do so. Especially if she is going to continue to use an iPad.

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
When I saw the title my first thought was "Why should a senior switch to a different OS? I'd leave her where she is." But after reading your post it makes sense. The Moto X will be very easy to learn; it's actually not unlike the iPhone. And the voice controls will be nice for her.

Order it by tomorrow night (Christmas Eve) and get a nice discount by finding an unused code in this thread.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Does your mom really need unlimited data? What is her usage?
She would go over 2GB if she tethered her iPad.

Is she unhappy with iOS or her iPhone 5? IMO the downside to switching is that she would have to learn a new OS when there isn't much reason for her to do so. Especially if she is going to continue to use an iPad.
She's not unhappy with the iPhone 5 but she thinks the Assist and Touchless controls on my Moto X are impressive.

I don't see learning as a downside, especially since she pretty much doesn't engage in any intellectually stimulating activities.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
When I saw the title my first thought was "Why should a senior switch to a different OS? I'd leave her where she is." But after reading your post it makes sense. The Moto X will be very easy to learn; it's actually not unlike the iPhone. And the voice controls will be nice for her.

Order it by tomorrow night (Christmas Eve) and get a nice discount by finding an unused code in this thread.
Thanks! I got a code for her from Motorola through the Today show special. She could sell her iPhone 5 and the Moto X would be free!

Vaas

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
If she likes the IOS 7 interface you could always install IOS 7 lockscreen, and Theme turbo launcher and have the X look like Iphone.
At least this way, she would not have to figure out the icons.

I was tempted to get my wife a G or X and put the IOS 7 stuff on it and tell her its the new iphone :)

but she would figure it out quickly :confused:

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
All depends. I'm in 70's & a crackflasher but my daughter, in her 40's prefers stock iOS. I do know that my S4 also had an "easy" mode back when it was stock. I think it's intended for ease of use for the technically uninclined. Probably a Samsung thing, though.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
She would go over 2GB if she tethered her iPad.

She's not unhappy with the iPhone 5 but she thinks the Assist and Touchless controls on my Moto X are impressive.

I don't see learning as a downside, especially since she pretty much doesn't engage in any intellectually stimulating activities.

Sounds like a Moto X would work for her then. She needs unlimited data and has demoed your Moto X.

t0ked

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Just did this for my mom! She's 68 years young. The larger screen alone was enough for her to sing it's praises. (she has small hands so anything much larger was out if the question). She loves the option to set font to huge and the various different keyboards that make it easier to see and type (SwiftKey set to large and the newer Fleksy). She loves the touchless controls and often points out how the Google Now us much "smarter" than siri, lol!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech