Bamboo Moto X Impressions

tbtregenza

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
I just received my Bamboo Moto X. I am currently on a Samsung GS3. Other than being very "white" (I usually prefer dark colors but I wanted to get white front face to match the mandatory white bamboo bezel on the back), I am mostly impressed with the device.

It has quite a bit of heft to it. It feels solid, but I have a minor quip about the build quality. There is a slight "bulge" in the bamboo bezel (see first picture). There is also a noticeable dark "edge" around the bamboo (see second picture). Almost like it's dirty or smudged. I wonder if this is an effect of the manufacturing process - maybe glue residue or something. Engadget's Saturday unboxing unit seemed to have the same issue.

Anyone else get one of these? Any similar experiences with the bamboo? I'm tempted to try to clean it a bit, then use the 30-day return window if it won't go away. I'm not thrilled about the dirty look on the edges - it just looks a little grimy.

(All pictures taken with GS3)

Thanks!

2013-12-23 17.17.08.jpg
2013-12-23 17.17.51.jpg

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
The rear bezel around the bamboo is white only, so most people are getting a white front to match the rear part.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

That's a damn shame, they need to add the option to have that white or black.

Posted Via VZW Moto X on the Android Central App

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
There is a slight "bulge" in the bamboo bezel (see first picture). There is also a noticeable dark "edge" around the bamboo (see second picture). Almost like it's dirty or smudged.
I see exactly what you are talking about and for $100 extra, that would be going back if I paid for it. No way would I keep that for $!00 extra.

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I would actually like to see a black front. Match it with black bezel and rockers. It might look cool

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Shawn Magm

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I just received my Bamboo Moto X. I am currently on a Samsung GS3. Other than being very "white" (I usually prefer dark colors but I wanted to get white front face to match the mandatory white bamboo bezel on the back), I am mostly impressed with the device.

It has quite a bit of heft to it. It feels solid, but I have a minor quip about the build quality. There is a slight "bulge" in the bamboo bezel (see first picture). There is also a noticeable dark "edge" around the bamboo (see second picture). Almost like it's dirty or smudged. I wonder if this is an effect of the manufacturing process - maybe glue residue or something. Engadget's Saturday unboxing unit seemed to have the same issue.

Anyone else get one of these? Any similar experiences with the bamboo? I'm tempted to try to clean it a bit, then use the 30-day return window if it won't go away. I'm not thrilled about the dirty look on the edges - it just looks a little grimy.

(All pictures taken with GS3)

Thanks!

View attachment 98173
View attachment 98174

Isn't the return policy 14 days unless you're in California? I ordered a Motomaker, and asked the CS person what the policy was. If it's 30 days, then great. I'll evaluate mine longer!

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Isn't the return policy 14 days unless you're in California? I ordered a Motomaker, and asked the CS person what the policy was. If it's 30 days, then great. I'll evaluate mine longer!

30 days is only in California.

Posted via Android Central App

tbtregenza

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all the input guys - I will be returning it. Can't wait to start messing around with this phone though. It looks fantastic aside these aesthetic issues.

blacksapphire08

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Could be part of the reason the wood backs got delayed for so long. I haven't seen any of the regular Moto X's having any issues with build quality. Looks pretty sweet besides the lump on the side. Hope they get this fixed for ya.

Posted via Android Central App

redeyss

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I would return that pronto!!
I am getting av warranty replacement because I have about a dozen black specs on my olive back plate. Not sure how the got there but they are one with the polycarbonate and not dirt or smudges. Motorola is replacing it no questions asked, great experience!!

Sent from my XT1053 using AC Forums mobile app

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
By the looks. I'd already received mine before bamboo was available, and I'm glad I didn't wait. It doesn't look that great to me, even without the bulging in the pictures.
To each his/her own. I think it looks fantastic except for the bulging and the grimey stuff on the sides. There is no doubt about it - his should have not left the factory. They need better QA.