Another Moto X, LG G2, Samsung S4, or Nexus 5?

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
As some of you in this forum may have read, I've had tons of problems with Moto X. It's sad - I'd waited some time to upgrade my phone to the 32GB version. But I've already tried two custom-built Moto X's and they're either both lemons, or they're just not a good fit for my area. (though that doesn't explain why apps crash, or no one can hear my voice when I talk...)

So Motorola offered for me to return both lemons and try a 3rd one. I agreed, and I'm waiting for them to confirm receipt of my 2 Moto X's and send me a replacement code for online customization (again. It was fun the first time, but now...:confused:)

While I'm sitting around waiting on Motorola, I've been looking at other ones. I'd only ever considered the Moto X because I'd had good luck with reception with my Photon and had read that Motorola makes some of the best antennas around. But, that's not proven to be true, so why not look around?

In spending the past 2 hours looking at specs and reading reviews, I'm considering:

1. LG G2 - Gets great reviews, apparently has an amazing camera, and LG is the original manufacturer of Google Nexus
2. Samsung Galaxy S4 - Great reviews, has a LOT of specs, but...I had the S2 and had so many reception problems, I'm definitely very cautious
3. Nexus 5 - Looks great (I like minimalist), great reviews, decent camera, gets updates first, but cost for the 32GB is off-contract $399

Here is a comparison chart of all 4 phones.

For those who have tried the Moto X and any/all of the above phones, can you give me some input? I'd appreciate the help!

fishweb

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
The first question you have to ask is if you are going yo be okay with a large phone as if the answer is no absolutely you are back to the moto x.
It sucks that you have been getting bad phones but it doesn't negate the original reasons you choose a moto x.
Essentially your saying I have been having a bad enough experience where you are going to settle for your not first choice.
That being said if you are fine with a low volume speaker nexus 5 is my vote. There are good threads on this forum comparing c the nexus and the moto x.

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
The first question you have to ask is if you are going yo be okay with a large phone as if the answer is no absolutely you are back to the moto x.
It sucks that you have been getting bad phones but it doesn't negate the original reasons you choose a moto x.
Essentially your saying I have been having a bad enough experience where you are going to settle for your not first choice.
That being said if you are fine with a low volume speaker nexus 5 is my vote. There are good threads on this forum comparing c the nexus and the moto x.
The Galaxy Note is way too big for me. The Nexus and LG are right behind, but if they work well as phones first, I'll be alright.

Yes, the Moto X was my first choice, but for the reasons I said (I had good experience with Photon). But since it's not looking too great for the Moto X, I feel I need to look at other brands. How low volume is the speaker? And did updates not help it?

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
The Galaxy Note is way too big for me. The Nexus and LG are right behind, but if they work well as phones first, I'll be alright.

Yes, the Moto X was my first choice, but for the reasons I said (I had good experience with Photon). But since it's not looking too great for the Moto X, I feel I need to look at other brands. How low volume is the speaker? And did updates not help it?
then u should post this on N5,GS4 and LG2 forum rather than Moto X. pointless to post here

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Not when I want to hear from Moto X users who have had those other phones...

Seems most Moto X users came from iPhone. And again, the problem is Sprint. "No, it isn't!" Oh, so... All your brand new phones are lemons?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Just an FYI: Samsung radios are garbage. I never want to have another Samsung phone after my experience with the Galaxy Nexus. I'm on Verizon, but my friend who is on Sprint feels the same way. She couldn't even use LTE on her Galaxy Nexus because it was so bad at holding onto a signal and totally drained her battery all the time.

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to hear about the fiasco you've endured. I know that kind of thing can really sour you on a device...And in this case, all things being equal, the X really is a terrific device. Here's hoping regression to the mean works in your favor for number 3, should that be your ultimate path.

As my signature suggests, I have both the X and the N5. I'm not as technical in my observations about phones (despite my love for flagship devices) as some may be, I mostly am taken when they feel good, look good, and function smoothly. And I can tell you that both the X--when u get a good unit--and the 5 are such nice devices it's hard to pick between them when u have the option. For me, battery life on both has been pretty respectable, though not amazing....with the X holding the edge there. Both are perfectly fine for daily drivers with mixed/moderately heavy use.

The form factor of the X is a big draw. I had the 5 first and it took several days to adjust to the smaller moto screen. I was amazed at how the loss of such a small amount of real estate there FELT so significant. But now, I actually prefer the size of the X. I have a case on it (whereas I feel the need to go bare with the 5 given its already pretty wide). I also like the former phones heft. It just feels solid. That said, I actually like the design of the 5 better from a strictly visual standpoint. I'm a big fan of how minimalistic it is. And while I think the screen on the X is just fine, it certainly doesn't pack a punch like the Nexus does. Again though, either works just fine for day to day use. On both devices I find 25% brightness to be adequate for all but the sunniest of environments, and I think that says something about the quality.

I'm not a heavy gamer nor do I really care all that much about cameras in phones. Having shot with a d700 the last few years I just have generally low(er) expectations in that regard, which is to say I never activate a phone camera assuming I'm about to get great photos. That's just me tho.

Both phones feel equally snappy to me. Maybe the 5 is faster I can't say. I have the dev edition X and am running the kit Kat launcher and I never feel like it lags. The Nexus of course just flies through tasks as well. I've watched some ppl get huffy when folks say specs don't matter, but honestly, if the phone is responsive as Heck, who cares if it's running an S4 blahbity blah versus a snapdragon 8 million. It really does come down to "on the ground" performance, and for me, they're equal (caveat: as mentioned, no gaming on my end tho....except granny Smith, which I'm not even sure constitutes "gaming" in any modern sense of the word, but dammit it's addictive).

I guess all this is to say you can't go wrong with either. You're so close to stock on the X, and the updates seem to be coming so quickly, it's darn close to a nexus in that regard. Oh I suppose I should mention my volume and power buttons on the 5 do rattle a bit when I shake the phone.... but it just never bothered me enough to return it.

Good luck either way!

Nexus 5/Moto X

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Nice post soma :)

To Holly, sorry about your bad luck. In a way I'm right there with ya as im currently waiting on my second HTC One.

While I wait I've been checking out alternative phones and I just keep coming back to the G2. Amazing display, great battery, specs, camera and unique features like knock on. Just feels like the right choice.

Whatever way you go good luck in your decision

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Nice post soma :)

To Holly, sorry about your bad luck. In a way I'm right there with ya as im currently waiting on my second HTC One.

While I wait I've been checking out alternative phones and I just keep coming back to the G2. Amazing display, great battery, specs, camera and unique features like knock on. Just feels like the right choice.

Whatever way you go good luck in your decision

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

I was ready to go with the G2 as well, but then I Googled "LG G2 reception issues" and apparently, there's quite a lot of problems with that! At this point, I know Motorola has received my Moto X returns and I'm waiting for a replacement code so I can redesign my phone again, but I can't say I've decided one way or another which way to go, you know? I mean, they all have their issues. My thing is, I just want it to connect to a signal like my Photon has been doing for the past 2.5 years. Apparently, this is not the easiest of requests these days: the more they put into the phone, the more they forget it needs to work, first and foremost, as a phone. I don't know what to do, tbh.

Hope you have better luck with your next HTC One.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
I was ready to go with the G2 as well, but then I Googled "LG G2 reception issues" and apparently, there's quite a lot of problems with that!

In fairness, majority of people that join forums or take to the internet are on the internet to seek help or simply complain.

It's not often people buy a product and come back to forums to say, "Yep, the product I purchased works as it was designed to work."

I'm exceedingly cautious of visiting forums of new products before I've bought one due to how much noise the minority of the people can make. Not saying there is anything wrong with joining a forum to seek advice, but, point being, people come to forums for help (most of the time).

Last edited:

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I have played with must of the phones you are considering over the last week and have owned the S4. If you are giving up on the Moto X then my next choice would be the Nexus 5 without a doubt. If I had to pick a third place finisher it would be the LG G2.

Sent from my Moto X

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan