iMessage preventing texts from delivering to Android Moto X

anon(8312128)

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
This might end up being a rather vague question but I'll give it a go. Ever since activating my Moto X, communication between my phone and other people's iPhones has been very unreliable. They're not getting my texts and vice versa. But oddly, it's not ALL of my friends with iPhones, it's just some of them. When I had my iPhone I don't remember having any issues texting people with Android devices. What could be going on here?

Posted via Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
This might end up being a rather vague question but I'll give it a go. Ever since activating my Moto X, communication between my phone and other people's iPhones has been very unreliable. They're not getting my texts and vice versa. But oddly, it's not ALL of my friends with iPhones, it's just some of them. When I had my iPhone I don't remember having any issues texting people with Android devices. What could be going on here?

Did you shut off I message before switching?

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Do you have any other apple devices? First go to each of them (iPad, iPhone, iPods, or Macs) and remove your phone number from iMessage. Then make sure that they are texting your phone number and not your iCloud address. If that doesn't help, then contact your provider to make sure your on the right messaging plan.

zobog

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
God I am glad I no longer have a iOS device and iTunes is uninstalled from my pc.

bobbob1016

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
iMessage is always a culprit. Call your carrier and make sure they have iOS provisioning turned off for your device.

No, anyone can help. Basically, there is a little different provisioning for iMessaging on the carrier side. It has to do with carrier routing.

Actually, it's an Apple thing. 5 minute call, and they revoke the certificates. No carrier side afaik. Wasn't for me at all.

Do I need to talk to someone in tech support?

Call Apple, 800-My-Apple.

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site

You need to do 2 things.

1. Turn off iMessage on your own iPhone.
2. Make sure your friends have selected "send as text message" when iMessage is unavailable in their own iMessage settings.

If those do not fix it you can call Apple and they can do the certificates thing.

Oofa

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Are you sure your some of your friends are not getting your texts? Your friends aren't trying to tell you something by claiming "I never got your text", are they? ;)

anon(8312128)

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Actually, it's an Apple thing. 5 minute call, and they revoke the certificates. No carrier side afaik. Wasn't for me at all.

Call Apple, 800-My-Apple.

How, exactly, should I explain this to Apple? What do I need to ask them to do specifically? Just wanna make sure I'm requesting the right thing.

anon(8312128)

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
So, talked to a senior Apple Care rep and he had my number "unregistered" with iMessage so this should solve the problem. He said give it 24 hours (worst case) to fully take effect. So hopefully this does the trick.

Thanks everybody!

Ben_on_fire

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I had this exact same issue and there is one more step to guarantee that you will receive all texts from your remaining iPhone friends.

-Anyone who has you in their iPhone contacts must manually go into their contacts and change your number from listed as an iPhone to Mobile

If not their phone will always try to push their messages to you through the iMessage servers first and will eventually fail to send. I spent an hour with an Apple tech and while she did have to remove my phone number from the server she also informed me that I needed to contact all my iPhone buddies and have them change my contact.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I had this exact same issue and there is one more step to guarantee that you will receive all texts from your remaining iPhone friends.

-Anyone who has you in their iPhone contacts must manually go into their contacts and change your number from listed as an iPhone to Mobile

If not their phone will always try to push their messages to you through the iMessage servers first and will eventually fail to send. I spent an hour with an Apple tech and while she did have to remove my phone number from the server she also informed me that I needed to contact all my iPhone buddies and have them change my contact.

That would be SO irritating.