iMessage preventing texts from delivering to Android Moto X

anon(8312128)

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
I had this exact same issue and there is one more step to guarantee that you will receive all texts from your remaining iPhone friends.

-Anyone who has you in their iPhone contacts must manually go into their contacts and change your number from listed as an iPhone to Mobile

If not their phone will always try to push their messages to you through the iMessage servers first and will eventually fail to send. I spent an hour with an Apple tech and while she did have to remove my phone number from the server she also informed me that I needed to contact all my iPhone buddies and have them change my contact.

What a pain in the a**. Why did they have you on the phone for so long? The guy I spoke to had it done in pretty short order. But yes, I do plan to have all my iPhone contacts update me in their address book. Now I wish I had known about this before I deactivated my iPhone.

Posted via Android Central App

bobbob1016

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
So, talked to a senior Apple Care rep and he had my number "unregistered" with iMessage so this should solve the problem. He said give it 24 hours (worst case) to fully take effect. So hopefully this does the trick.

Thanks everybody!

You can have them take less than 24 hours if they make sure they have "Send as SMS" turned on in Settings -> Messages. Same if they delete the message thread.

I had this exact same issue and there is one more step to guarantee that you will receive all texts from your remaining iPhone friends.

-Anyone who has you in their iPhone contacts must manually go into their contacts and change your number from listed as an iPhone to Mobile

If not their phone will always try to push their messages to you through the iMessage servers first and will eventually fail to send. I spent an hour with an Apple tech and while she did have to remove my phone number from the server she also informed me that I needed to contact all my iPhone buddies and have them change my contact.

Actually, there isn't an option for iPhone anymore, I think that ended with iOS 6. Well, needing to do that ended there I think.

That would be SO irritating.

Yes, it is, but they have decentralized servers, so that 24 hours is somewhat valid. The only reason it isn't a big deal the other way (Android to iOS when you have Hangouts) is that there is Hangouts for iOS. Funny thing is Steve Jobs said he wanted to make iMessage and Facetime universal, as he knew otherwise no one would use them.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
iMessages strikes again :p

Is this something newer with Apple? I don't remember hearing about this in the past but it seems to be a real issue recently.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
iMessages strikes again :p

Is this something newer with Apple? I don't remember hearing about this in the past but it seems to be a real issue recently.

I don't think it's new. I think we hear more about now as more people are giving Android a try. I have an iPhone that I use sometimes and as long as I turn off iMessage before going back to Android everything is OK usually. The wildcard is with friends, family and clients that have iPhone. If they don't have messages set to send as sms if iMessage fails then there is an issue still. To me it is really poor execution on the part of Apple. I understand they are using this as a way to keep people in their ecosystem but they punish their own customers when they can't get a message to a former user because they didn't know any better.

Sent from my Moto X

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Apple won't try and alleviate this.. The more headache they can cause converts the better chance they have of keeping people on apple.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Yes, it is, but they have decentralized servers, so that 24 hours is somewhat valid. The only reason it isn't a big deal the other way (Android to iOS when you have Hangouts) is that there is Hangouts for iOS. Funny thing is Steve Jobs said he wanted to make iMessage and Facetime universal, as he knew otherwise no one would use them.

This is pretty faulty logic, given the benefits of iMessage over SMS/MMS and even 3rd party messaging services via their Messaging App integration - also, the cross device interoperability of the service (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch - later Mac OSX). Apple users use it, there was no "risk" that they wouldn't use it. I'd venture to guess the sheer popularity of iMessage and FaceTime actually drove them to NOT release them as cross platform services, because they quickly became selling points for Apple devices as companies like Google struggled to defragment their communication services and update those apps (Hangouts Still lags behind iMessage + FaceTime in feature set). How long did it take Google to get out an app that does SMS and IM in the same app, while still not offering the type of integration that iMessage allows for? 2+ years, and the IM portion isn't even near feature parity with iMessage yet...

Hangouts on iOS requires a Google+ Profile (unlike on Android where it's usable with just a Google Account) so most iOS users I know don't have it and won't have it anytime soon. Most of them either use Yahoo! (old accounts they've had forever) or simply just use the iCloud services integrated into the phone for everything - yes, Maps included, Lol). I have to use Facebook Chat to communicate with them.

Luckily Apple does have the iCloud Control Panel, so I can participate in Shared Photo Streams and the like from my PC (or a Windows Tablet if I get one, they're cheap enough that I'm considering).

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
This is pretty faulty logic, given the benefits of iMessage over SMS/MMS and even 3rd party messaging services via their Messaging App integration - also, the cross device interoperability of the service (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch - later Mac OSX). Apple users use it, there was no "risk" that they wouldn't use it. I'd venture to guess the sheer popularity of iMessage and FaceTime actually drove them to NOT release them as cross platform services, because they quickly became selling points for Apple devices as companies like Google struggled to defragment their communication services and update those apps (Hangouts Still lags behind iMessage + FaceTime in feature set). How long did it take Google to get out an app that does SMS and IM in the same app, while still not offering the type of integration that iMessage allows for? 2+ years, and the IM portion isn't even near feature parity with iMessage yet...

Hangouts on iOS requires a Google+ Profile (unlike on Android where it's usable with just a Google Account) so most iOS users I know don't have it and won't have it anytime soon. Most of them either use Yahoo! (old accounts they've had forever) or simply just use the iCloud services integrated into the phone for everything - yes, Maps included, Lol). I have to use Facebook Chat to communicate with them.

Luckily Apple does have the iCloud Control Panel, so I can participate in Shared Photo Streams and the like from my PC (or a Windows Tablet if I get one, they're cheap enough that I'm considering).

Actually the reason they didn't become an open standard is because of a patent lawsuit against them regarding the protocols they use, so they couldn't legally open source them. Rene Richie had a big article about this at iMore.

Now, whether or not opening it up is still in the cards I'm not sure.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Actually the reason they didn't become an open standard is because of a patent lawsuit against them regarding the protocols they use, so they couldn't legally open source them. Rene Richie had a big article about this at iMore.

Now, whether or not opening it up is still in the cards I'm not sure.

That's way after release. They've already removed the stuff that infringed.

Its not in the cards. The services are too popular and people buy idevices yo gain access to them. Giving them away would be stupid st this point. Apple is not BlackBerry.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Tom Westrick

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
I still don't see what people have against SMS and MMS as far as communication goes. Everyone with a phone has access to them, whether they're on Android, iOS, Windows, BB10, or a feature phone. If the network is damaged (for example in the case of a natural emergency), an SMS has a much higher chance of making it through the network than a Hangout or iMessage would. The only negative is carrier want to charge an arm and leg (compared to how much it costs them) for a texting plan, but that's not a problem with the protocol itself and may be something the FCC could take care of.

UncleMike

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Leave it to Apple to take some as universal as SMS and unnecessarily weave it into their ecosystem. People entering the Apple ecosystem reminds me of roaches entering the roach motel - they check in, but...

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
I still don't see what people have against SMS and MMS as far as communication goes. Everyone with a phone has access to them, whether they're on Android, iOS, Windows, BB10, or a feature phone. If the network is damaged (for example in the case of a natural emergency), an SMS has a much higher chance of making it through the network than a Hangout or iMessage would. The only negative is carrier want to charge an arm and leg (compared to how much it costs them) for a texting plan, but that's not a problem with the protocol itself and may be something the FCC could take care of.

The carrier charges for text messaging is a big negative. I have unlimited text messaging on my postpaid T-Mobile line because it was only $5 to add it. Unlimited text messaging on AT&T is $20/individual and $30/family. That is a ripoff to me and why none of my AT&T lines have text messaging. I use either Google Voice or receive text messages on my T-Mobile phones.

captainkirkw

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
When I switched from iOS to Android, my wife stayed and I had to get her to send me a new text instead of continuing from an old text session and that helped.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using AC Forums mobile app

androidatic

May 7, 2010
Visit site
My son got a Galaxy S4 for Christmas (coming from an iPhone 5) and we went over all of the instructions to shut down iMessage prior to activating the S4.

He still had some trouble and called Apple on the 26th. They said give it 24-48 hours and everything should work out.

That seems to be the case as he said all seems to be OK now.

Sent via the X!

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
When I switched from iOS to Android, my wife stayed and I had to get her to send me a new text instead of continuing from an old text session and that helped.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using AC Forums mobile app

This is good advice. It's easy to do with the spouse. Not so easy with a client or someone you don't message with all the time. They pull up an old thread and just use it instead of starting new. In my experience everyone that I have had this issue with figures it out and sends as SMS, but that may not be true in every situation.

Either way, this is good advice and will work if you can get the iPhone user to do it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zif835