Podcast players and library

lewismarke

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
I know that this might be a dumb question but here goes. I am trying out different podcast players to find one that I like. If I download podcasts in each player are they taking up double the space on my phone or will they pull from the same file if I have already downloaded the podcast? Any help is appreciated.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I know that this might be a dumb question but here goes. I am trying out different podcast players to find one that I like. If I download podcasts in each player are they taking up double the space on my phone or will they pull from the same file if I have already downloaded the podcast? Any help is appreciated.

they will most probably take double the space...

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Each one will download to its own folder and have separate files for each one.

May I suggest trying out PocketCasts? It is my favorite player by far on both android and iOS. The ui is silky smooth, it'll download automatically or at a set time, and the best part is it syncs across devices. So the next time you upgrade devices just log in and it will automatically download your podcast library and subscription's. And it syncs across tablets, phones, and iOS devices.

Sorry if that sounded like an infomercial, it just took years before I had a podcast app work this well and keep everything in sync between my android devices and iOS devices.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, I appreciate that. Infomercials/recommendations welcomed! I will give PocketCasts a try.

I take it you've read a few of these threads then! I love PocketCasts. I tried all of the highly recommended pod catchers before I laid down the $5 for it. It is worth every last penny. In fact, knowing what I know now, I'd probably be willing to pay $10 for it. Every other podcatcher had a major missing feature I wanted, but not PocketCasts. There is no faster or more feature complete podcatcher on the market.

Posted via Android Central App

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I take it you've read a few of these threads then! I love PocketCasts. I tried all of the highly recommended pod catchers before I laid down the $5 for it. It is worth every last penny. In fact, knowing what I know now, I'd probably be willing to pay $10 for it. Every other podcatcher had a major missing feature I wanted, but not PocketCasts. There is no faster or more feature complete podcatcher on the market.

PocketCasts is good but sometimes it will report a specific show (which will go unnamed) as no new shows or whatever and then I have to try to access the show some other way.

I don't have that problem with BeyondPod, whose icon I like better as well (a mug of coffee or tea or cocoa and a pair of headphones). :D

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
PocketCasts is good but sometimes it will report a specific show (which will go unnamed) as no new shows or whatever and then I have to try to access the show some other way.

I don't have that problem with BeyondPod, whose icon I like better as well (a mug of coffee or tea or cocoa and a pair of headphones). :D

Interesting. I've never had that specific issue.

mclaser

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
+1 Pocketcasts. It has a widget that comes up on the lock screen so you can pause or fast forward without unlocking the phone. Very handy!

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

cerebasan

May 1, 2011
Visit site
Pocketcast won't share your library with Google music though even if you have the check box checked. In Google music it sees the music but errors when you try playing it.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Interesting. I've never had that specific issue.

It's only on rare titles, I'm guessing. Others I searched worked pretty flawlessly, but I had no problems at all yet with BeyondPod. There are other good ones too.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's only on rare titles, I'm guessing. Others I searched worked pretty flawlessly, but I had no problems at all yet with BeyondPod. There are other good ones too.

I'm very tempted to get BeyondPod too now that I know it has Chromecast support! Hopefully PocketCasts gets that soon. From the Screen shots, I like the UI of PocketsCasts more than BeyondPod. I wish we still had a 24 hour return policy instead of 15 minutes! You simply cannot test a podcast app in 15 minutes.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm very tempted to get BeyondPod too now that I know it has Chromecast support! Hopefully PocketCasts gets that soon. From the Screen shots, I like the UI of PocketsCasts more than BeyondPod. I wish we still had a 24 hour return policy instead of 15 minutes! You simply cannot test a podcast app in 15 minutes.

I agree, 15 minutes is not enough time to evaluate whether an app will work well. Still, you could see whether you hate it or not. I thought the Chromecast support was pretty cool too, though I haven't used it yet.

reversalagent

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I want to throw my hat in the ring for Pocket Cast also. There is an option for allowing pocket cast to "read" a folder where other music is stored. It is worth every penny in my opinion and the developers are good to respond to emails in regards to questions, support or suggeestions.

lumarama

May 5, 2016
Visit site
I want to throw my hat in the ring for Pocket Cast also. There is an option for allowing pocket cast to "read" a folder where other music is stored. It is worth every penny in my opinion and the developers are good to respond to emails in regards to questions, support or suggeestions.

We're developing lightweight podcast player (actually we have released one already, but as a new member we are not allowed to post any links yet) and it is interesting for us to hear what features do you guys love the most in Pocket Cast (it seems that this is the most beloved app so far) and what you don't like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech