01-10-2014 04:48 PM
83 1234
tools
    If your GNex worked great, you must live where there is a strong signal! Whenever I was in a strong signal area, my GNex was fantastic. But go somewhere with a weaker signal and I would drop calls and it couldn't hold onto a 4G LTE signal even when other phones could.

And the battery life was not great, either.
    I was pretty much in the same boat. Now I have my Moto X and it's great where the GNex wasn't.

Posted via Android Central App
    01-01-2014 12:51 AM
    01-01-2014 11:03 AM
    Put me on the list! Loved my GNex but had to carry 2 extra batteries with me everywhere. My Moto X is much better.

Sent from my XT1060 using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2
    01-01-2014 11:47 AM
    Put me on the list! Loved my GNex but had to carry 2 extra batteries with me everywhere. My Moto X is much better.
    yeah, I know what you mean - I had 4 total batteries - 2 standard and 2 extended, but to use the extended I had to switch cases so it was a pain.
    01-01-2014 01:20 PM
    If your GNex worked great, you must live where there is a strong signal!
    I live in Chicago, and the LTE signal here is pretty strong. I did love my Galaxy Nexus--except for the battery. That was the only thing I hated about it. I was able to make it through a day most of the time, but I always felt nervous about it if I was going to spend the entire day outside.
    01-01-2014 06:24 PM
    I live in Chicago, and the LTE signal here is pretty strong. I did love my Galaxy Nexus--except for the battery. That was the only thing I hated about it. I was able to make it through a day most of the time, but I always felt nervous about it if I was going to spend the entire day outside.
    I snagged a couple of those charger packs with the Today Show 50% off promo codes. They are nice to have around since the Moto X doesn't have a replaceable battery.
    01-01-2014 06:50 PM
    Yeah, I could stretch mine out for a full day perfectly fine, but normal use for me was like 14-16 hours on LTE with no more than an hour of screen on time (with the "extended" battery). With that same screen on time, my Moto X easily lasts twice as long. That fact really puts the battery life of this thing in perspective for me. I'm already spoiled by it. I can't imagine how giddy Maxx users must be. Out of fun (and convenience) I bought a couple of these as stocking stuffers for myself and my fiance. Well, I started using mine a couple of weeks before Christmas. They are nothing special, but work well and I've yet to have to use it out and about anywhere with my Moto X. I really don't worry about running out of juice during the day anymore, but I keep charging sources handy as a force of habit. I've pretty much always used Samsung phones (at least in Android world) and battery life has never been their strong suit. My MX runs circles around my fiance's iPhone 4s, and hers will still last her for a full day. The difference is that she plugs in at 15% or so and I plug in at 30-35%.
    01-01-2014 08:16 PM
    I've pretty much always used Samsung phones (at least in Android world) and battery life has never been their strong suit.
    Nor are their radios. Or their external speakers. Or their microphones. Nice screens though!
    01-01-2014 08:25 PM
    Nor are their radios. Or their external speakers. Or their microphones. Nice screens though!
    No kidding man! I checked in on my GPS thread on XDA the other day. It always gives me mixed feelings. It's cool that people are still out there using the original Galaxy S. It's not cool that Samsung never fixed the issue, and put out such shoddy hardware like that. I paid full price for my Vibrant too avoid contract on T-Mobile. I'll give that phone some credit. I cleaned it up, ROM'd it, shut off data and gave it to my mom to use. It's still going strong and lasts 5 or 6 days on a charge (easy when it's only used for phone calls and sits on EDGE).

I really like some of the newer stuff that Samsung is doing in the software department, but it's all just novelty to me. I'm glad that Motorola is going the direction that they are, because they and RIM have always rocked out in the radio/speaker phone department. Moto Blur, however, always kept me from wanting to touch one of their Android devices. Even though this thing was purchased on contract. All I can think about is how I paid $99 for a 32GB version and it's SO much more phone (for me) than any Samsung I've ever owned. And I really do like Samsung. Shoot, I've got two of their TV's and a couple other things laying around.
    01-01-2014 08:34 PM
    And I really do like Samsung. Shoot, I've got two of their TV's and a couple other things laying around.
    3 Samsung TVs for me! Nice screens!
    01-01-2014 08:46 PM
    I'm still using my Gnex, so is my wife. We got Seidio batteries to cope with the power problem. Otherwise, our originals are working well. I'm pretty patient, and don't mind waiting if the payoff is worth it, so I bought a lightly used Gnex as a "just in case" backup, and I'm settling in for awhile. I also have unlimited, which I'll need for several years in my job, so I'm being patient. The MotoX is making my fingers itchy, I love where Moto and Google are going with this. But I may be rocking the Gnex another year or so, to see what the next iteration of this platform will be. I'm betting it will add icing to the X cake.

Damn, I really want one now...

Sent from my Sero 7 Pro (Walmart Blue Light Special)
    davidnc likes this.
    01-02-2014 03:52 AM
    I'm still using my Gnex, so is my wife. We got Seidio batteries to cope with the power problem. Otherwise, our originals are working well. I'm pretty patient, and don't mind waiting if the payoff is worth it, so I bought a lightly used Gnex as a "just in case" backup, and I'm settling in for awhile. I also have unlimited, which I'll need for several years in my job, so I'm being patient. The MotoX is making my fingers itchy, I love where Moto and Google are going with this. But I may be rocking the Gnex another year or so, to see what the next iteration of this platform will be. I'm betting it will add icing to the X cake.

Sent from my Sero 7 Pro (Walmart Blue Light Special)
    I thought I was going to be clever and use both my Moto X and GNex... the GNex gets looked at about once a week.
    bigdaddytee likes this.
    01-02-2014 06:33 AM
    I am sure with the recent promos and the price drop, the price of used Moto X's will drop too and If you sell your GNex and its backup, you may be able to get a used Moto X for under $200 after you sell the GNexi. Lots of the used ones are in mint condition.
    bigdaddytee likes this.
    01-02-2014 08:39 AM
    I thought I was going to be clever and use both my Moto X and GNex... the GNex gets looked at about once a week.
    I am holding onto my GNex as a backup and because you can't sell them for much. I just bought a chromecast so I may use it with that.
    Pollster likes this.
    01-02-2014 08:41 AM
    If not for the $150 promo, I'd still be on the GNex, buying an extra battery or two, and cursing Verizon for not carrying the N5.

I regret - to an extent - not getting one of the DevEds, despite the ugly appearance, and sometimes wish I hadn't updated to KitKat. Too bad the SIM cards aren't swappable between the GNex and the X.

Still I'm much happier than I would have been.
    dsw1519 likes this.
    01-02-2014 12:58 PM
    If not for the $150 promo, I'd still be on the GNex, buying an extra battery or two, and cursing Verizon for not carrying the N5.

I regret - to an extent - not getting one of the DevEds, despite the ugly appearance, and sometimes wish I hadn't updated to KitKat. Too bad the SIM cards aren't swappable between the GNex and the X.

Still I'm much happier than I would have been.
    Good to know - thanks. I was ready to switch to TMO and buy a N5, but the ability to keep Verizon coverage with unlimited data is a big deal to me. I own a Nexus 7 tablet, and love the clean android without all the carrier added crap on it, so the MOTO X is the closest I can come and still keep VZW with unlimited. Luckily the X price drop came before I made the switch to TMO.
    01-02-2014 01:04 PM
    I regret - to an extent - not getting one of the DevEds, despite the ugly appearance, and sometimes wish I hadn't updated to KitKat.
    There is a way to go back without unlocking the bootloader

[4.4 ROOT] SlapMyMoto 1.0 (Works with MotoWPNoMo) - xda-developers
    01-02-2014 01:07 PM
    I'm on the fence over the Maxx vs. X. I checked the Motorola site and can't get a good answer for this...but does the Maxx come with a wireless charger? I know it has the capabilities but I'm not clear if the wireless charger comes with it.
    01-02-2014 03:37 PM
    I am sure with the recent promos and the price drop, the price of used Moto X's will drop too and If you sell your GNex and its backup, you may be able to get a used Moto X for under $200 after you sell the GNexi. Lots of the used ones are in mint condition.
    I can afford it now, but believe it or not, I'm very satisfied with my GNex. It does everything I need done well. With that in mind, I can also afford to wait for technology/price to come to my advantage.

It's just that like most people, I really want the new, cool stuff right now. But I'm personally much happier when I'm able to discipline my impulsive nature.

Sent from the (4.2 updated) redheaded stepchild of the Nexii
    01-02-2014 03:58 PM
    I'm on the fence over the Maxx vs. X. I checked the Motorola site and can't get a good answer for this...but does the Maxx come with a wireless charger? I know it has the capabilities but I'm not clear if the wireless charger comes with it.
    It does not have one in the box, no. It comes with a micro-usb to USB cable and AC wall charger.
    01-02-2014 04:15 PM
    I can afford it now, but believe it or not, I'm very satisfied with my GNex. It does everything I need done well.
    I wish I lived somewhere with a strong signal. My experience with my GNex would have been so much better. I think I went through 5 total - 2 new and 3 CLNR - all with the same signal issues. I am certain it was a hardware problem with either the antenna or the 4G LTE radio. It was great where the signal was strong, but not where it was marginal.
    bigdaddytee likes this.
    01-02-2014 06:34 PM
    Wait - the Moto X can do wireless charging?!?!?!?!?
    01-02-2014 06:36 PM
    I wish I lived somewhere with a strong signal. My experience with my GNex would have been so much better. I think I went through 5 total - 2 new and 3 CLNR - all with the same signal issues. I am certain it was a hardware problem with either the antenna or the 4G LTE radio. It was great where the signal was strong, but not where it was marginal.
    Was the signal actually bad or just the display of the signal? I don't know if it's a problem on recent Sammy phones, but the SII, GNex and SIII era devices all had issues with not displaying their actual signal strength in the status area.

- - - Updated - - -

No. The Maxx can.
    01-02-2014 06:37 PM
    Nope! X dont have wireless charging capabilities but Droid Maxx do have it
    01-02-2014 06:38 PM
    Was the signal actually bad or just the display of the signal? I don't know if it's a problem on recent Sammy phones, but the SII, GNex and SIII era devices all had issues with not displaying their actual signal strength in the status area.
    signal is bad - I am in a known trouble area. I called so many times they sent technicians out to measure the signal and gave me a free network extender and ultimately offered to let me out of my contract.

No. The Maxx can.
    So much for my reading comprehensio!. I went back and reread his post, don't know how I got mixed up.
    jephanie and bigdaddytee like this.
    01-02-2014 06:44 PM
83 1234