Roll Call for Verizon GNex Owners - How Many of Us Chose the Moto X?

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
The Verizon GNex forum was a such a great place 2 years ago - so much excitement, so much dev support!!!

Then the Nexus 4 came out and lots of Verizon GNex owners left for the Nexus 4. No way I was leaving truly unlimited, unthrottled 4G LTE data for a 3G phone even if it were a Nexus.

How many of us GNex owners stayed with Verizon and chose the Moto X as the closest thing to a Nexus we can have and still keep our Verizon unlimited data?

Me!!!!!!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Yep. My wife still has her Gnex, but I got the Moto X like the second it was available. Used the line transfer loophole to keep unlimited.

svenEDGE

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
Well I had a GNex previously but when the Note II came out I bought one of those. I am now using a Moto X though and I absolutely love it. Unfortunately Motorola customer service is a joke compared to the customer service I've received from Samsung. Makes me really think twice about buying another Moto phone.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I had to get away from the Gnex before I was eligible for an upgrade. To keep my unlimited data, I happily bought the X at retail on launch for Verizon. And when Motomaker finally came along, my wife got one (getting away from her iPhone 4) and then when the cyber sale came along, I sold my black one and got two Motomakers (one for primary use, one for family backup use instead of paying for overpriced insurance).

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately Motorola customer service is a joke compared to the customer service I've received from Samsung. Makes me really think twice about buying another Moto phone.
The crappy radios on the GNex really left a bad taste in my mouth about Samsung. I did get the GNote 3 and the signal is not as good at the Moto when I do speedtests.

svenEDGE

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
The crappy radios on the GNex really left a bad taste in my mouth about Samsung. I did get the GNote 3 and the signal is not as good at the Moto when I do speedtests.
That was a big reason I was excited to get back to Moto but the Note II radios were nowhere near as bad as the GNex. I might just end up going back to Samsung next time around and end up getting back into modding. I can't stand the junk they put on their phones haha. I've just never seen customer service as bad as what I've received lately. It's almost comical now and it's to the point where I don't want to ask for their help because I know for a fact that they're gonna eff something up.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
one for family backup use instead of paying for overpriced insurance
Smart! I ended up paying $125 over 2 years to insure my GNex (assuming I didn't pay tax on that, too, which maybe I did, I don't know) and would have had to pay a $99 deductible if I needed to use it. $225 would buy a decent used GNex on swappa.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
It's almost comical now and it's to the point where I don't want to ask for their help because I know for a fact that they're gonna eff something up.
Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. I have had the opposite experience as you. I think you need to keep in mind that Motorola was not prepared for the response they had to their Cyber Monday promo given the lackluster sales of the device up to that point.

svenEDGE

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. I have had the opposite experience as you. I think you need to keep in mind that Motorola was not prepared for the response they had to their Cyber Monday promo given the lackluster sales of the device up to that point.

I could understand if it was just that. But they never called me back when they said they would and now when I requested an RMA# yesterday to exchange my phone, I was told I would get it in 4 hours but instead "our computers are having trouble and we hope we can send you an RMA# on Monday." They also said they would send me a $10 Google Play gift card but it will take 4-6 weeks to get to me. WTF? How does that even make sense? I guess I just figured that one of the largest phone manufacturers in the world who is now owned by one of the biggest tech companies in the world would kinda sorta have their crap together.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I had a Galaxy Nexus, but I didn't care about keeping unlimited data. I'm not a data *****, and I think it's stupid to continue paying a subsidy on a phone that's already fully paid for.

Plus, Verizon offered me a plan which was basically a 40% discount off the regular price. It allows me to pay less than I would be paying T-Mobile for an equivalent plan.

kakos26

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I had a Gnex on VZW. So happy with my Moto X. Honestly I love everything about this phone. It's a beauty

Posted via Moto X (VZ)

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
What was that the 6GB for $30?

No. Unlimited talk/unlimited text/2GB data for $60. Again, I don't need that much data; I'm on WiFi all the time. I was also looking to cut costs, which I told Verizon CS. The 6GB for $30 option wasn't being offered to anyone at the time I was offered the plan I'm on now. I'm not particularly sorry it wasn't offered to me, either.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
if you are on a family share plan, you can still get a subsidized phone by adding a line. There is a whole thread on this in the verizon forum here on AC.

I am aware. I'm not on a family share plan, though, and I'm not interested in the unnecessary expenditure of adding a line. I have absolutely no interest in increasing my costs when I don't even need unlimited data.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
What plan was that?

It's some sort of loyalty plan. It was offered to me after I had called in a few times to inquire about my ETF (which had gotten pretty low--around $150), and when I reached my 20-month upgrade date. The rep said I was eligible for the plan based on my history and credit with Verizon (I've only been with them for 8 years, but I suppose it was enough). I was offered the plan in July, and I told them that if they could promise me that the same plan would be available to me in August when the phone I wanted was released, then I would stay with Verizon. The CS rep added it to the notes for my account. I called in and spoke to someone as soon as the Moto X was available to order to make sure that exact plan was added to my account.

Anyway, this is why I never order phones online. I always speak to reps when it's time to upgrade. The reps can offer deals that computers will not offer.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I
Anyway, this is why I never order phones online. I always speak to reps when it's time to upgrade. The reps can offer deals that computers will not offer.
8 years is quite a long time to stick with one phone company. I have never been offered special deals by anyone on verizon. The best deals I have gotten have been online (no activation fees, $200 prepaid cards).

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
8 years is quite a long time to stick with one phone company. I have never been offered special deals by anyone on verizon.

You've never even gotten someone to move up your upgrade date? Verizon customer service has always been very good to me. I hear lots of complaining about them, and I never understand where that comes from because I've never had a problem with the level of service I've received.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800