KitKat Update... Yes or No?

captainkirkw

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I just got my Moto X on 12-28-13 and of course it is notifying me of the update but after reading about various issues, I am not sure if I should. It runs fine with 4.2.2 and while some of the updates sound great, like the camera fix for instance, it seems like one big negative is the decreased battery life. What is the concensus here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Re: KitKat Uodate... Yes or No?

I just got my Moto X on 12-28-13 and of course it is notifying me of the update but after reading about various issues, I am not sure if I should. It runs fine with 4.2.2 and while some of the updates sound great, like the camera fix for instance, it seems like one big negative is the decreased battery life. What is the concensus here?

Im running the Moto X with Kit Kat 4.4. I have zero issues. I dont recall a battery life change. Also, all of the app updates are via the Play Store, so it doesnt really matter if you're on 4.4 or not. I love it.

anon(8082935)

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site

I think overall it's a good update. I don't have any issues with 4.4. Plus, with the update, touchless controls are far more useful. Being able to do almost everything I use touchless control, bar sending a text, while the phone has a lock code on it is well worth the update.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

update now rather than doing it after few months... most issues people face are data issue.
when its used for a while its create some data and later when they are updated it screw up the data format..
thats why a factory reset usually fix most of the issues for them.

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site

I never ran my unlocked non developer GSM phone (XT 1053) on 4.2.2. It runs great on 4.4. Ive read where folks with CDMA variants of 4.4 are having issues with 4.4 but not so much with the GSM variant.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

I didn't notice a change in battery life after upgrading.

Posted via Android Central App

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

Sure thing! Works great with kitkat and you get google wallet tap and pay if you want to use it!

Sent from my Moto X!

StudDroid

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site

At first i wasn't quite happy with kitkat due to the decrease in battery life, but after a week or two it had significant improvement. I have been able to get over 6 hours of on screen time with kitkat. Give it time and it will get alot BETTER!

zobog

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site

I didn't notice any changes in battery life after the upgrade. I didn't know that was considered an issue. Didn't seem to change anything for me except the dialer

mtndewgood

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site

My battery has been terribly after the update, absolutely terrible and it was awesome before. Google search and Android OS are draining it like crazy. I just came to the forum to see if there were any topics addressing it and I'm surprised not to see one on the main page.

jlgraham

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site

I got my Moto X this weekend (10/28) and it had 4.4 pre-installed. No issues so far, battery life seems great. I'm at 83% with 40 mins of screen on time, with ~1hr of syncing files over WiFi, light use of social media and the AC app, and about ~20 mins of Google Music streaming.

Posted via Android Central App on my Moto X

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

What decreased battery life?

captainkirkw

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for the feedback so far and please keep it coming. Seems odd that some are experiencing it and others are not.

While I want to do the upgrade, I think I will continue to use 4.2,2 and see how the battery life is before upgrading to KitKat so I have a good comparison for myself.

Last edited:

captainkirkw

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

I got my Moto X this weekend (10/28) and it had 4.4 pre-installed. No issues so far, battery life seems great. I'm at 83% with 40 mins of screen on time, with ~1hr of syncing files over WiFi, light use of social media and the AC app, and about ~20 mins of Google Music streaming.

Posted via Android Central App on my Moto X

Which carrier? I ordered the unlocked model so maybe that is why mine came with 4.2.2 and yours came with 4.4. I oredered mine on Dec 22nd. It shipped on Dec 26th and I got it on the 28th

snoking

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

I have read the more you use it on 4.2.2 the greater the chance you will need to do a factory t reset after loading KitKat. Just do it!

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

I have read the more you use it on 4.2.2 the greater the chance you will need to do a factory t reset after loading KitKat. Just do it!

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

+10000000000000000000000000000 this is exactly why people have issues... if you update before you start using the device the problem will be the least

jlgraham

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site

Which carrier? I ordered the unlocked model so maybe that is why mine came with 4.2.2 and yours came with 4.4. I oredered mine on Dec 22nd. It shipped on Dec 26th and I got it on the 28th

I'm on Verizon, so that may very well have something to do with having 4.4 pre-installed. Ordered mine on 10/23, received it on 10/28.

DS1331

May 25, 2013
Visit site

I didn't update. the phones perfect on 4.2.2 I like it a lot better then kitkat

Q10, HTC One, Nexus 7, Moto X