01-02-2014 05:43 AM
26 12
tools
    Why I traded the brute power of the Nexus 5 for the personality of the Moto X

Pretty good article on why people love the moto x.

Posted via Android Central App
    Ry likes this.
    12-30-2013 08:34 AM
    Is it by another Apple fan?

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2
    12-30-2013 08:36 AM
    I skimmed the article, and it was pretty well written.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app
    12-30-2013 09:01 AM
    I skimmed the article, and it was pretty well written.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app
    It is well written but...

The telltale line is in the "preface" where he says "I refused to buy a Moto X without being able to use MotoMaker".

What that tells me is that his choice of colors, and the ability to customize those, weighed/weighs heavily in his opinion. And that's fine. But that's his priority and does it really reflect what everyone else prioritizes? No.

I could read the rest, but I'd argue I don't really need to.

12-30-2013 09:09 AM
    It is well written but...

The telltale line is in the "preface" where he says "I refused to buy a Moto X without being able to use MotoMaker".

What that tells me is that his choice of colors, and the ability to customize those, weighed/weighs heavily in his opinion. And that's fine. But that's his priority and does it really reflect what everyone else prioritizes? No.

I could read the rest, but I'd argue I don't really need to.

Very good point, but most of the article focuses on what the device can do by means of performance.
    12-30-2013 09:13 AM
    Huh? Allot of folks waited for moto maker. It is part of what gives the moto x charm. Personalization.

I couldn't hold out myself.

How does that equate to his opinion having no worth ?

12-30-2013 09:34 AM
    Huh? Allot of folks waited for moto maker. It is part of what gives the moto x charm. Personalization.

I couldn't hold out myself.

How does that equate to his opinion having no worth ?

His opinion is fine. It's biased. That's what opinions are.

12-30-2013 09:40 AM

Yes, its his opinion but most who own Moto X has the same opinion as his...

you cant say that with other phones
    12-30-2013 09:48 AM

you can say that with other phones
    Sure, no argument. If it were an opinion piece in a Sunday magazine, fine. But it's supposed to be a review in a phone blog/magazine.

12-30-2013 09:52 AM
    Sure, no argument. If it were an opinion piece in a Sunday magazine, fine. But it's supposed to be a review in a phone blog/magazine.
    Supposed to be a review? What the hell are you talking about? It's plainly obvious from the title alone that the editorial is an opinion piece. Duh. It's called "Why I traded..." Obviously, it's going to be all about his opinion.
    still1 and Ry like this.
    12-30-2013 10:03 AM
    Supposed to be a review? What the hell are you talking about? It's plainly obvious from the title alone that the editorial is an opinion piece. Duh. It's called "Why I traded..." Obviously, it's going to be all about his opinion.
    When I read phone magazines I expect reviews. Opinions are more suited for non-commercial enterprises.

12-30-2013 10:21 AM
    Well we are a 2 x M.X family. DW was first and a motomaker that she built as her first smart phone. Helping her set it up and customizing it a bit lead me to decide it was time to retire my beloved HTC Rezound on VZW. So I got a standard black on black one for .01 from Amazon after getting VZW to bump up my date by three months.

To me it was size, feel, display, active display, smoothness, and speed as the Rezound was getting a little long toothed. I knew I was giving up a great camera, but if I want to take great pictures I have a real digital camera with 7x optical zoom with a old Dimage 7 that still takes great pictures.

So after almost a month it is:

Feel
    Size
    Smoothness
    Active display
    Radios as good or better than the great ones in the Rezound
    Drive mode
    Battery life
    Price/value
    Google integration between devices

Motorola tools made the switch from the Rezound quick and easy.

Hopefully they will continue to work on the camera, and with many things moved to Google Play updates do not depend on the carrier.

Happy Moto Xer

Chris

Sent from my A200 using AC Forums mobile app
    mrsmumbles likes this.
    12-30-2013 10:41 AM

you cant say that with other phones
    Yep. I Like and own a moto x because it is the best there is in my opinion.

That's why I read moto x forums.

I have had other phones that I did not love. I generally didn't go to their forums and traded away the phone as soon as possible.

12-30-2013 11:14 AM
    This piece was an editorial. Not a review. That should be obvious.

They do have a review there.

I would not advise reading it if praise for the moto x is something you don't want to read.

Ry likes this.
    12-30-2013 11:18 AM
    Yep. I Like and own a moto x because it is the best there is in my opinion.

That's why I read moto x forums.

I have had other phones that I did not love. I generally didn't go to their forums and traded away the phone as soon as possible.

I didn't have or trade away a Moto X nor do I have anything against the phone. I didn't actually notice this was the Moto X forum until you mentioned it.

12-30-2013 11:24 AM
    I didn't have or trade away a Moto X nor do I have anything against the phone. I didn't actually notice this was the Moto X forum until you mentioned it.

Its hard to notice such things when you're using the AC Forums app. It doesn't highlight very noticeably which section you're in.

CM on OgPro
    12-30-2013 11:29 AM
    Its hard to notice such things when you're using the AC Forums app. It doesn't highlight very noticeably which section you're in.

CM on OgPro
    True, it's the same with Tapatalk.

12-30-2013 11:31 AM
    I have a Moto X and I love it and I could care less about the color customization

Q10, HTC One, Nexus 7, Moto X
    12-30-2013 05:20 PM

An antonym of opinion is fact which makes the above comment so ironic re the moto x, given that general consensus is that as the sum of its parts the moto x is a top phone yet it loses convincingly if only comparing moto x specs to top phones. In other words creative thinking makes moto x one of the winners while cold hard facts makes it a loser.
    12-30-2013 05:41 PM
    An antonym of opinion is fact which makes the above comment so ironic re the moto x, given that general consensus is that as the sum of its parts the moto x is a top phone yet it loses convincingly if only comparing moto x specs to top phones. In other words creative thinking makes moto x one of the winners while cold hard facts makes it a loser.
    That's a great point really! I like that. FTR, I think it's one of the winners.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2
    12-30-2013 05:50 PM
    lol.
    ultravisitor likes this.
    12-30-2013 06:08 PM
    I have a Moto X and I love it and I could care less about the color customization

Q10, HTC One, Nexus 7, Moto X
    Marketing is what sells phones to most people - the people that don't spend their time on cell phone forums.

You may have bought the Moto X for other reasons but this is what Motorola has advertised -

- Touchless Control
    - Camera (and camera gesture)
    - Assist
    - Phone customization

These probably resonate more with "regular" customers and the entire package seems to be a hit with tech bloggers as well which is one of the things I think of when I read that editorial, even though spec whores will automatically dismiss a great device.
    DS1331 likes this.
    12-30-2013 06:13 PM
    When I read phone magazines I expect reviews. Opinions are more suited for non-commercial enterprises.

And...? Your expectations are out of line. Phone magazines and websites provide more than just reviews whether you like it or not. Your can't just call any article a review just because that's the only kind of writing that you expect.

Open your mind. Perhaps you have heard of a website called Android Central. They are one such website that provides more than just reviews. Or were you under the impression that Android Central is some sort of nonprofit entity?

Wait. Never mind. You probably did have that idea about Android Central.
    12-30-2013 06:42 PM
    And...? Your expectations are out of line. Phone magazines and websites provide more than just reviews whether you like it or not. Your can't just call any article a review just because that's the only kind of writing that you expect.

Open your mind. Perhaps you have heard of a website called Android Central. They are one such website that provides more than just reviews. Or were you under the impression that Android Central is some sort of nonprofit entity?

OK we get it, in addition the mrs seems to have softened her stance, and so this post just feels like piling on to me

Anyway, as to the article itself, with the comments about the 'premium experience' transferred by the default ringer, the lockscreen sound and the holiday boot animation - it reminds me of that english apple guy and his minions talking about the 'elegance' of that rubber band thing it does when you get to the bottom of a page or the 'genius' of a smaller reversible charger - really dude? a charger cable, is that the best you got - apple is the king and what they do best is fashion tech and that's what a lot of customers now like - and while chasing apple down that money road is understandable hopefully the balance for android doesn't sway too far in that direction - and so to a large degree articles like this are what you get when writers run out of stuff to say and more importantly when vendors like apple and others churn out a new generation of product annually run out of ideas, sell every incremental release as epic and buyers go for it.
    mrsmumbles likes this.
    12-30-2013 07:09 PM

Something about shopAndroidCentral sort of dropped a clue on my hard head before too long. But thanks for your concern. ๐ŸŽ‚๐Ÿ“ž

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2
    12-30-2013 08:00 PM
26 12