Moto X and Kitkat features

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Why is is that the Moto X is missing some cool staples of Kitkat such as the dialer search, the new icons, and the redesigned app drawer? I ask now because I don't like the phone icon that much and very much prefer the new kitkat dialer icon but it might be just me >_>.

Posted Via VZW Moto X on the Android Central App

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
The Google Experience Launcher is exclusive to the Nexus 5 as a natively available user interface. You can install it on your phone by following these instructions, but be aware that people generally notice some glitches on non-Nexus devices: How to Install and Use the Google Experience Launcher on Any Android Device

Don't want the launcher just wondering out loud why does the Moto X with kitkat not have those features.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes, but I'm afraid the discussion is a fairly short one. The full and fancy KitKat look that you're seeing is exclusive to the Nexus 5. You can make other phones that are upgraded to KitKat look similar by doing what's been suggested (installing the Google Experience Launcher and/or installing a custom launcher or icon pack). As for the reason why the look is exclusive--we'd probably need a Google design engineer participating on this forum.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I was just trying to have a discussion of the reasons for omission of these features in the Moto X.

because even though google bought Motorola they are still separate entity.

heck.. nexus 4 which is a google product didn't get the new launcher. but they updated the launcher to work with any phone so why worry?

mvsmith

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I did not know this. I am thinking of moto x and wasn't sure if moto x gets the dialer with KitKat. Honestly, I'm not surprised.

Miracast and photosphere where part of jellybean. Mostly only nexus devices have miracast. Photosphere Samsung and lg have their own and cm has their own as well. Just like the Google launcher and dialer. Google doesn't want those on any phones but a nexus. Especially since moto x and nexus are so similar. But moto x has touch notifications, listening mode, and vice assist.

If Google let moto x and others have photosphere, launcher, dialer, and camera effects than why bother with a nexus. Google needed some leverage. I know you can install gallery apk but I heard its buggy on KitKat.

Ironically google gives some things away like the keyboard.

I wish moto x had the nexus 5 features. I'd get a moto x in a heartbeat but split between the two. At least Google wallet works.

Posted via Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I was just trying to have a discussion of the reasons for omission of these features in the Moto X.

Because the Moto X isn't the Nexus 5.

The Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 don't get those launcher features with their KitKat upgrades...

UncleMike

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
At first I wondered why the dialer business search wasn't included on the Moto X, but when I looked closer at it on a Nexus 5 I realized it wasn't worth worrying about. I'm in central NJ and two of three searches I did produced results that were all in NYC, and one hand results in NYC, NJ, and VA. For 8 of the 9 results I got, the are literally hundreds of potential results that are closer, and even the one NJ result was over 30 minutes away by car.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Ualrdynodo

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Downloaded gel and although the phone and app drawer icons looked cooler all of the icons were too big for the screen.