Battery drop from 32% to 4% in minutes. Ideas?!

PatriotMike

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I just got my Moto X last night after having the Nexus 4 previously. Things have been going great until this morning (okay, that's only a few hours) when, as you'll see from the screenshot, the battery dropped from 32% to 4% in a matter of minutes. I didn't actually go anywhere when this happened, so I'm not sure what's happening here. Earlier in the morning and last night the phone had a 4G connection and it didn't have one when I noticed the huge drop. (It still had a network connection, just not 4G.) Maybe this is just a one-time situation, but this has me a bit concerned. Any ideas what might be happening here?

Thanks for the help. Happy New Year!

Screenshot_2013-12-31-07-35-32.png

Paddy Landau

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
It happened while your screen was on. Can you remember what apps were running during that time?

It is possible that, being brand new, the phone is not yet used to the battery. I also know that some batteries need to go through a few charging cycles before they reach their full potential.

Did you remember to fully charge the battery before turning on your phone for the first time?

If this continues to happen, contact your supplier; you may have a dud battery.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I had that happen once. The phone was in a strong wifi area, and said that email was using all the resources. I complained to Motorola, and they said "reboot". That seemed like a non-answer, but it hasn't happened since.

I also talked to a tech person at Sprint who was really annoying, and pointed out all the things I had on that might be using battery, or things that weren't on that might have been on at the time. I kept telling her that the phone reported it was email (on wifi) that used all the power, that the screen had been off the whole time, etc., and that I hadn't changed any settings, but the days before and after that day it had been completely normal, but she was just interested in routine "here's how to manage battery life" and not "this battery performance was really really weird, and obviously something was screwed up".

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I just got my Moto X last night after having the Nexus 4 previously. Things have been going great until this morning (okay, that's only a few hours) when, as you'll see from the screenshot, the battery dropped from 32% to 4% in a matter of minutes. I didn't actually go anywhere when this happened, so I'm not sure what's happening here. Earlier in the morning and last night the phone had a 4G connection and it didn't have one when I noticed the huge drop. (It still had a network connection, just not 4G.) Maybe this is just a one-time situation, but this has me a bit concerned. Any ideas what might be happening here?

Thanks for the help. Happy New Year!

View attachment 98994

A screen shot of which apps/processes were consuming the battery could have helped. But I tend to agree with the other posts. Cycle to a full charge, reboot, and then let it roll. It's likely a one-time thing.

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Standard operating procedure. Rebooting is the first thing I tell people to do when they call me asking me what is wrong with their computer or how to fix something. Most of the time it works. But in this case a battery cycle is all that is needed.

tnt118

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
I have a similar problem... mine goes down at about 10%. It's happened 3 times so I'm not 100% sure it's always a simple calibration.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Are you using Assist? There was an end of year bug that kept Assist running and killed the battery.

Posted via Android Central App

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I just got my Moto X last night after having the Nexus 4 previously. Things have been going great until this morning (okay, that's only a few hours) when, as you'll see from the screenshot, the battery dropped from 32% to 4% in a matter of minutes.
It's the Motorola Assist New Years Eve bug. What worked for me wa to clear the MA cache, and disable the app. Then reboot, reenable the app and get the update. All fixed now.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1