Motorola Assist Battery Drain

Brenda Tippin

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
This is weird. I have a brand new Moto X, have had it just a week and installed the KitKat 4.4 OS a couple days ago. Battery life has been very good until suddenly today I noticed the Motorola Assist was eating up a huge amount of battery. The phone was sitting idle most of the day, a few texts and a couple alarms set, nothing else. Location, WiFi and Bluetooth all turned off, there was nothing else that should have been high battery usage. The battery monitor said Motorola assist was using 40% of the battery. I had all the settings checked in Motorola Assist but there was nothing going on for it to monitor, it was daytime, no meetings and I wasn't driving. I turned everything off but the sleep rule, and recharged the phone. Just a few hours later, phone sitting idle, and battery down to 48%. I checked and now it said Motorola Assist was using 70% of the battery! I did a Force Stop and disabled it although it says this may cause the phone to misbehave....

JimBen73

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
I have a Droid MAXX and have the same drain as everyone else starting today

Posted via my awesome, longer lasting phone than yours aka droid MAXX

ethertwist

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Count me as another that has experienced the Assist battery drain this past day. I disabled all the settings, but I'm kind of bummed because I really enjoy using the Sleep feature. Hope this gets resolved soon.

ryjb

May 11, 2011
Visit site
In addition to have Assist eating my battery I also am having Sleeping Mode not working for me. I of course have it set to turn on during a certain period of time and it is a no go. I do have the option checked to show the Sleeping Mode notification and that is no where to be seen. Anyone else with this issue?

Screenshot_2014-01-01-06-44-48.pngScreenshot_2014-01-01-06-45-02.png

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Definitely sounds like a software issue. The strange thing is that Motorola Assist has not been updated since December 19th. It's odd that it happened now. I have had none of these problems and I do use Assist and Sleep everyday.

Too many people here having the issue for it not to be real though. Everyone should definitely report it to motorola support though. I would try contacting through twitter. I have heard that the response is pretty good.

Sent from my Moto X

Postoid

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Just read G+ on this issue and Motorola Mobility engineers admitted to a new years eve bug for Assist.

The workaround they say is to disable assist for new year's eve (it will be fine in the sleep period on Jan 1 and onward) - so it will clear itself.
Thus a new year's eve problem only - which is why people are seeing it only yesterday.

ryjb

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Just read G+ on this issue and Motorola Mobility engineers admitted to a new years eve bug for Assist.

The workaround they say is to disable assist for new year's eve (it will be fine in the sleep period on Jan 1 and onward) - so it will clear itself.
Thus a new year's eve problem only - which is why people are seeing it only yesterday.

Can you share where on Google Plus you read this?

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
how do you report it?

Two finger swipe from top to bottom. Tap the battery icon. Tap Motorola Assist. Tap Report on the upper right.

Mine has not acted up since I force stopped it (it will start itself again after a minute or two). I really think there's something on Motorola's end that was/is causing it to hang.

Oh, and Jenny McCarthy is 41.

Edit: I skipped over the part where Moto Engineers admitted the problem. Going back to bed. IIIII'm dumb. ;)

Posted via Android Central App

snoking

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Ok, mine does not want to sleep anymore and I believe the wake up time changed on its own. However it is not draining my battery. Assist was at 3% at 1d8h. Batt at 34%. Chris

Sent from my A200 using AC Forums mobile app

snoking

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Found this. http://motoxhub.com/moto-x-how-to-guide/how-to-reset-motorola-assist/
To get the fresh settings for Motorola Assist, you can get to Settings?Apps (aka Application manager)-Motorola Assist to clear data and clear the cache. However, for Moto X, you need do this for 4 apps:

Motorola Assist
Motorola Assist Engine
Motorola Assist Framework
Motorola Assist Talk To Me
After resetting, your Motorola Assist should work if your settings are correct.

I however only see first and third items of the four. Also wife's M.X should be sleeping and it is not. Chris

Sent from my A200 using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited:

Tony Rizzo

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
If you go to the time setting and set the date for January 2nd you will see that assist starts working again. When I set it back to today's date it's a no go, so Io bet after tommorrow it will be fine.

howie

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
In addition to have Assist eating my battery I also am having Sleeping Mode not working for me. I of course have it set to turn on during a certain period of time and it is a no go. I do have the option checked to show the Sleeping Mode notification and that is no where to be seen. Anyone else with this issue?

I had the same issue last night. So far this morning battery is normal. Hopefully tonight the sleep mode kicks on and silences the ringer.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01