01-05-2014 05:00 AM
55 123
tools
    Thanks. Will try and see if I can check it out tonight and then decide if I want the hassle of returning.
    01-01-2014 06:23 PM
    Just pulled the trigger on 32GB Moto X @$449 off contract pricing with VZW. Should receive it in a few days. THANK YOU to everyone for the info. So looking forward to getting this phone and keeping my VZW Unlimited data.
    Golfdriver97 and bigdaddytee like this.
    01-01-2014 09:27 PM
    Just pulled the trigger on 32GB Moto X @$449 off contract pricing with VZW. Should receive it in a few days. THANK YOU to everyone for the info. So looking forward to getting this phone and keeping my VZW Unlimited data.
    If the Best Buy loophole ends up working, what I suggest is that you sign up for the Best Buy reserve gift card in early February (it usually lasts only a few days, so you have to pay attention). Then when your upgrade becomes available, get a 16GB iPhone 5s with your upgrade. It uses a nano SIM card like the Moto X. Then you can activate the iPhone with the Moto X nano SIM card, swap the nano SIM card back to your Moto X and then sell the iPhone. If you pay $200 for the iPhone 5s on contract, you should be able to net at least $300 when you sell it after shipping, listing fees and paypal fees (and more if you sell locally). Plus you'll have the $50 gift card to spend at Best Buy.

Or save the upgrade and use it when the Moto X2 comes out! But still sign up for the Best Buy reserve gift card in February since this may be the only option to keep your unlimited data and use your upgrade.
    dsw1519 likes this.
    01-01-2014 09:41 PM
    Or save the upgrade and use it when the Moto X2 comes out! But still sign up for the Best Buy reserve gift card in February since this may be the only option to keep your unlimited data and use your upgrade.
    This. Saving the upgrade for possible future use. If a similar deal (off contract deal) comes up for the X2 (or whatever replaces it), I would probably go that route.

I just received the confirmation from moto that I will receive my X on Monday by fed ex. Went with a black phone with the black woven back.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
    Vaas likes this.
    01-01-2014 09:52 PM
    I hope this trend continues with Motorola phones. Looks like Google is using Motorola as another weapon to take down the carriers and subsidies.
    01-01-2014 10:15 PM
    I hope this trend continues with Motorola phones. Looks like Google is using Motorola as another weapon to take down the carriers and subsidies.
    absolutely... although i wish it was priced $350 for 16gb since Nexus 5 is priced the same..
    I would love to see moto X get much more popular than what is is now..
    01-01-2014 10:25 PM
    I am only against subsidies if they lower our wireless plan prices and at least with Verizon, they don't seem to be doing that (e.g., Edge program - no subsidy but no wireless plan discount, either!).
    01-01-2014 10:25 PM
    I am only against subsidies if they lower our wireless plan prices and at least with Verizon, they don't seem to be doing that (e.g., Edge program - no subsidy but no wireless plan discount, either!).
    Edge is like the home loans that caused the 2008 market crash. That is selling something to people that can not afford it.

Chris

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app
    bigdaddytee and mbar9607 like this.
    01-02-2014 12:04 AM
    Hmmm... Wonder what this means for the next flagship? Sooner than August maybe? Awful quick to be lowering off contract price this much. They must have some sort of game plan.
    01-02-2014 07:50 AM
    Price is great especially if youre looking for the wood backs which was too high priced at the $599 for 16 gig. I keep reading that more premium materials will be used in the future. Even aluminum . Id also like this phone to get more recognition. Could you imagine if the X2 came out with all the same great features, a slight bump in specs and an aluminum casing?? People go crazy for build material. .this phone would be considered by the masses at that point. Unfortunately Samsung may be finally catching on as well with the s5 maybe having a metal construction. And we all know people love themselves some gimmicky Sammys .lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
    01-02-2014 08:20 AM
    Could you imagine if the X2 came out with all the same great features, a slight bump in specs and an aluminum casing?? People go crazy for build material. .this phone would be considered by the masses at that point. Unfortunately Samsung may be finally catching on as well with the s5 maybe having a metal construction. And we all know people love themselves some gimmicky Sammys .lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
    Agreed. I was going to buy the Galaxy Nexus when it came out, but when I went to the store and saw how flimsy and cheap the plastic back was I decided against buying it. Even though I'm not really hard on my phones, I couldn't imagine that phone holding up for 2 years.
    01-02-2014 09:38 AM
    Hmmm... Wonder what this means for the next flagship? Sooner than August maybe? Awful quick to be lowering off contract price this much. They must have some sort of game plan.
    I suspect they are taking a loss on these in order to get the phone in more hands. They are trying to rebuild their brand.
    dsw1519 likes this.
    01-02-2014 09:50 AM
    Agreed. I was going to buy the Galaxy Nexus when it came out, but when I went to the store and saw how flimsy and cheap the plastic back was I decided against buying it. Even though I'm not really hard on my phones, I couldn't imagine that phone holding up for 2 years.
    I bought 2 spare backs for my GNex - one for the standard battery and one for the extended battery. Never needed either and I never plugged my GNex into a charger - even at night - just swapped batteries so I opened up the back at least twice a day to replace the batteries. This probably wasn't good for the batteries but I didn't have a dock for my GNex and I had too many other things plugged into my outlets in my bedroom so this is what I did.

The backs did feel cheap, though, but they were surprisingly durable.
    01-02-2014 09:54 AM
    I suspect they are taking a loss on these in order to get the phone in more hands. They are trying to rebuild their brand.
    They may lose money overall after all the overhead (development costs, marketing, etc.) is factored in (though I doubt it), but I really can't see them losing money with a starting price of $399 if all you consider is the production cost per unit.
    01-02-2014 09:58 AM
    They may lose money overall after all the overhead (development costs, marketing, etc.) is factored in (though I doubt it), but I really can't see them losing money with a starting price of $399 if all you consider is the production cost per unit.
    None of us knows the production costs. All we can know is the price of the various components. Then there is the cost of assembling them in the US, which of course is higher than devices assembled in China, by a lot I am sure.
    01-02-2014 10:05 AM
    None of us knows the production costs. All we can know is the price of the various components. Then there is the cost of assembling them in the US, which of course is higher than devices assembled in China, by a lot I am sure.
    The additional cost to assemble in USA is $5

Moto X costs around $209 in components, with another $12 spent on manufacturing ($221 total).
    01-02-2014 10:46 AM
    With papa Google paying the bills, this could be the case, but I have a hard time seeing moto just eat a loss(or incredibly low margin) for 8+ months on a flagship.
    01-02-2014 11:00 AM
    With papa Google paying the bills,
    Motoroogle is not the Motorola of yore. Google takes a loss on the Nexi and for years took a loss on Android. They may or may not be making money off of Android now, but they get it that mobile is the future and they are flush with cash so they are taking a loss in the mobile space right now to future proof their company. I am sure Google's corporate execs are the ones planning Motoroogle's future, too.
    01-02-2014 11:07 AM
    The additional cost to assemble in USA is $5

Moto X costs around $209 in components, with another $12 spent on manufacturing ($221 total).
    Where are you getting your data from?

And you haven't mentioned anything about R&D/engineering, advertising, shipping, supply chain or customer support costs, let alone the cost of the corporate/administrative structure. All of those are costs need to be factored in before you can say you have turned a profit.

ETA - and are there any licensing fees involved? Perhaps those are all paid at the component level, idk, but there could be patents on combinations of components and it would be the manufacturer of the finished product who paid those.

ETA - and what about the costs to service devices under warranty? And the costs of processing returns and the loss associated with returns? All of that needs to be factored in before you can say you have turned a profit.
    01-02-2014 11:11 AM
    Where are you getting your data from?

And you haven't mentioned anything about R&D/engeineering, advertising, shipping, supply chain or customer support costs, let alone the cost of the corporate/administrative structure. All of those are costs need to be factored in before you can say you have turned a profit.
    data from research firm IHS http://www.droid-life.com/2013/08/28...-221-to-build/

if you look at how much carriers pay OEM for a device sold then you will know Moto X at $399 is not a loss for Motorola.

Att/Verizon/T-Mobile/Us Cellular pay around $399 to Apple for every iPhone sold
    S4 its about $380. moto X maybe around $350
    01-02-2014 11:24 AM
    So components cost $209 and manufacturing costs $12. No mention at all of R&D/engineering/software development, advertising, shipping, supply chain, customer support, warranty service, loss on returns, licensing fees and corporate/admin costs. All of those costs factor into whether or not a device is profitable.

if you look at how much carriers pay OEM for a device sold then you will know Moto X for $399 is not a loss for Motorola.

moto X maybe around $350
    OK, but selling to a carrier in volume reduces your shipping, returns and customer service costs as well as with Verizon, warranty service. That's why in any area you will get a discount on bulk purchases. And the bulk purchasing by a carrier is on a very, very large scale compared to selling to an individual.

If they sell the device to Verizon for $350, then I am even more certain that they are not making a profit by selling the device to individuals for $400.
    01-02-2014 11:32 AM
    data from research firm IHS http://www.droid-life.com/2013/08/28...-221-to-build/

if you look at how much carriers pay OEM for a device sold then you will know Moto X for $399 is not a loss for Motorola.

Att/Verizon/T-Mobile/Us Cellular pay around $399 to Apple for every iPhone sold
    S4 its about $380. moto X maybe around $350
    These are still making a vast amount of assumptions and(as far as i can tell) they do not include equipment, engineering, maintenance, ect. Basically all the things that determine if a Project is profitable. Which is much more important than the margin on individual devices. This info cannot be known unless someone leaks something from inside moto.
    01-02-2014 11:34 AM
    So components cost $209 and manufacturing costs $12. No mention at all of R&D/engineering/software development, advertising, shipping, supply chain, customer support, warranty service, loss on returns, licensing fees and corporate/admin costs. All of those costs factor into whether or not a device is profitable.

OK, but selling to a carrier in volume reduces your shipping, returns and customer service costs as well as with Verizon, warranty service.
    I agree there are other costs but Motorola wont be taking a loss for device sold at $399.. the profit margin will definitely shrink but they will still make profit.

also cost of components/manufacturing comes down after few months
    01-02-2014 11:35 AM
    I agree there are other costs but Motorola wont be taking a loss for device sold at $399.. the profit margin will definitely shrink but they will still make profit
    All of the data you have posted indicates otherwise.
    01-02-2014 11:36 AM
    All of the data you have posted indicates otherwise.
    I dont have a solid data for Moto X but here is what Moto G makes which was confirmed by Motorola spokesperson.

Motorola makes a tiny profit on every Moto G sold

Motorola makes $10 profit on G
    01-02-2014 11:45 AM
55 123