01-05-2014 05:00 AM
55 123
tools
    So components cost $209 and manufacturing costs $12. No mention at all of R&D/engineering/software development, advertising, shipping, supply chain, customer support, warranty service, loss on returns, licensing fees and corporate/admin costs. All of those costs factor into whether or not a device is profitable.

OK, but selling to a carrier in volume reduces your shipping, returns and customer service costs as well as with Verizon, warranty service. That's why in any area you will get a discount on bulk purchases. And the bulk purchasing by a carrier is on a very, very large scale compared to selling to an individual.

If they sell the device to Verizon for $350, then I am even more certain that they are not making a profit by selling the device to individuals for $400.
    Yes, most moto X units are sold via carrier and only few units are sold off contract
    01-02-2014 11:51 AM
    This is the best option for anyone on Verizon that has unlimited data right now and wants to keep it and still get a brand new (not used) phone.
    01-02-2014 11:54 AM
    This is the best option for anyone on Verizon that has unlimited data right now and wants to keep it and still get a brand new (not used) phone.
    If you have a family share plan, there is another option to get an on contract moto x. Check out the verizon forum here:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ver...erizon-89.html
    01-02-2014 12:08 PM
    If you have a family share plan, there is another option to get an on contract moto x. Check out the verizon forum here:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ver...erizon-89.html
    Regardless, it's still the best option for someone that doesn't want to go through that hassle of line and upgrade transfers and extending contracts and possible ETFs.

Posted via Android Central App
    01-05-2014 02:57 AM
    Agreed. I was going to buy the Galaxy Nexus when it came out, but when I went to the store and saw how flimsy and cheap the plastic back was I decided against buying it. Even though I'm not really hard on my phones, I couldn't imagine that phone holding up for 2 years.
    Still rocking my dependable, flimsy, original GNex two years later. I guess cheap is in the eye of the beholder.
    You should complain about something important, like the battery. I had to add a 3800 to make it useful.
    I may keep this another year, it's pristine and working flawlessly.

Sent from the (4.2 updated) redheaded stepchild of the Nexii
    01-05-2014 05:00 AM
55 123