Moto X vs Droid Maxx

Toddzilla#WN

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm coming off a Gnex and its time for me and the wife to upgrade and we've decided to sacrifice our unlimited plans... Unfortunately.
Anyways, my question is this. My Gnex battery strength has plummeted this last month and that has me looking at a Droid Maxx for battery life. What does the Moto X have that makes it a better choice than the Maxx? Does the Maxx have the Active Notifications feature and Motorola Assist like the Moto X?

Posted via Android Central App

zobog

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
The maxx is where it's at for battery life. The maxx is Verizon only so it gets less Buzz. These are my 2 favorite phones.

I chose the X because I like the way it feels in my hand. This choice will come down to battery life and form factor.

You cannot go wrong with either.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm coming off a Gnex and its time for me and the wife to upgrade and we've decided to sacrifice our unlimited plans... Unfortunately.
Anyways, my question is this. My Gnex battery strength has plummeted this last month and that has me looking at a Droid Maxx for battery life. What does the Moto X have that makes it a better choice than the Maxx? Does the Maxx have the Active Notifications feature and Motorola Assist like the Moto X?

The difference between maxx and X is Maxx has bigger battery and screen(4.7 vs 5 inch).

since max is 5 inch the screen resolution is lower compared to Moto X.

X feels great on hand and as you can see Moto X got kitKat faster than Droids.
Since X is much more popular than Maxx it gets better support from developer

also Moto X is very good with battery but nothing can beat the Maxx

drvier8

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
also Moto X is very good with battery but nothing can beat the Maxx

I disagree with the Moto X being very good with battery. It is Ok. WIth my apps, usage, and environment, I was getting 11-12 hours of battery before I got the 15% remaining warning. That was unacceptable to me so I returned it for a Maxx. Same apps, usage, environment with the Maxx and I'm ending 18 hour days with 45-50%+ battery left. And the Maxx adds wireless charging.

Active Display, Motorola Assist, and Touchless Controls are all on the Maxx. The camera updates (handled through Google Play now) are also the same. Development for the X is probably going to be more active as it is on more carriers and will sell more units. The X got 4.4 pretty quickly and it seems the Maxx/Ultra/Mina update has been paused due to some issues with some phones. So the X will probably get updates sooner (at least till the next Motorola flagship phone comes out).

There is more Verizon stuff on the Maxx than was on my X, but disabling it is easy enough.

Having had both, I decided that battery life (without compromising my usage) was most important to me, so I'm very happy with my Maxx. The X did feel a bit better ergonomically, but I also prefer the larger screen (that Google search bar eats up a lot of real estate).

They're both good phones, but you'll have to decide which factors are most important to you.

Shawn Magm

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Maxx also has wireless charging. I wish the Maxx was available to other carriers, but it looks like the Droid's are Verizon exclusives. I'd probably pick the Maxx over the X.

UncleMike

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I'm not on Verizon so the Maxx isn't an option for me, but I wanted to say that my Moto X battery life has been great so far. My best so far has been over 36 hours off charger with just shy of 5 hours screen on time. Most of the use was TapaTalk, Feedly and email, and on Wifi about 75-80% of the time.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
The Moto X just went on permanent price reduction to $399 off contract in case you wanted to keep your unlimited data.

Toddzilla#WN

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. I wasn't sure if the Maxx would have all of the software features that the X does (touchless controls etc). I do worry that the Maxx won't get the grade support that the X will and I think that's my main concern.

Does the Maxx have wrist twist camera activation?

I'll have to play with both and see if there's a major difference in size and overall feel.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. I wasn't sure if the Maxx would have all of the software features that the X does (touchless controls etc). I do worry that the Maxx won't get the grade support that the X will and I think that's my main concern.

I'll have to play with both and see if there's a major difference in size and overall feel.

yes, you have camera twist feature on Maxx... try both phone and buy what suits you.. both are very good phone.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site

The Maxx does have the twist feature as well as all the other X features. But I agree about the upgrade support. The X had KitKat in 19 days whereas the Droid family is just now getting it ("just now" in comparison to the X, anyway). Another reason I wanted the X is that I don't care for the Verizon/Droid branding and all the extra crap loaded into the phones (I don't root, etc., so that matters to me). And, finally, I figured the X would have more widespread accessories since it was a multi-carrier phone instead of a Verizon-only thing.

Toddzilla#WN

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Jephanie

I like the vanilla android experience too. How has your experience been with the X's battery life?

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
My Gnex battery strength has plummeted this last month and that has me looking at a Droid Maxx for battery life.

Just an FYI: I upgraded to a Moto X from the Galaxy Nexus, and the battery of the Moto X has been great. I've gone 30+ hours on the battery in the past. I've only killed the battery once, and that was because I forgot to plug it in.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Jephanie

I like the vanilla android experience too. How has your experience been with the X's battery life?

I'm a very heavy user, IMO. I've been on WiFi most of the day today and am on track to get over five hours of screen time with gaming, Pulse, Facebook, web browsing, texting and some e-mails.

My wife has the X and typically texts, is on Facebook a lot and does some web browsing. On WiFi, she's been on track to get upwards of 8 hours of screen time, believe it or not.

Typically, though, my use is heavy enough to where I get about 3-1/2 hours of screen time before I need to consider plugging in but this is usually around 30% battery left because I am still used to panicking at that point with the Gnex (which could go through 30% in an hour or less). If I run lighter on the phone, I've gone well over 24 hours before. But light use is rare for me. My wife's use has her X down to about 40% when she plugs it in for the night, which is quite good.

JimBen73

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site

The MAXX has everything the X has except for bigger battery, bigger form factor and wireless charging. The X will get updates first be we are not too far behind on updates from the X. Both are excellent phones, you just need to decide whether a smaller form factor and faster updates is better than bigger battery, bigger screen.

Posted via my awesome, longer lasting phone than yours aka droid MAXX

scrounger

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
Maxx also has wireless charging. I wish the Maxx was available to other carriers, but it looks like the Droid's are Verizon exclusives. I'd probably pick the Maxx over the X.

If Droid is in the name it will be on Verizon or in a Star Wars movie. Verizon paid Lucasfilms the big bucks for the right to use the Droid name.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
In my experience, I get get 24 hours on my Moto X. I can stretch it to 30-36 of I'm at home on WiFi mostly.

If you want a comfortable phone that feels solid and is heavy as an iPhone, touch screen buttons and fast updates, go with the MX. If you want a huge battery, larger screen, wireless charging, capacitive buttons and you don't mind a HEAVY phone, get the Maxx. The Maxx is a nice device. It functions just like the MotoX, but we've already seen where it takes a bit longer to receive updates. That said, it still looks like fast updates in my book, at least compares to previous manufacturers and carrier experiences.

The MX gets great battery life on its own. The times it's only lasted 12 hours have been times with 4+ hours of screen on time. That's crazy good.

I highly recommend going into a store and playing with them both. The Maxx is too big for me, but I also have small phones. I really don't think you'd end up regretting either one.

jlgraham

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
My Moto X gets great battery life, especially if you are coming from a Galaxy Nexus like I was, you will be blown away. That said, if you don't mind the looks of the Maxx, its got all the same features plus the extra battery and wireless charging.

However, in my opinion the best option would be to keep your unlimited data and buy the X outright. No use in having a phone with great battery life if you limit the features.

Posted via Android Central App on my Moto X

UncleMike

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
The MX gets great battery life on its own. The times it's only lasted 12 hours have been times with 4+ hours of screen on time. That's crazy good.

I agree that the Moto X gets great battery life, but when mostly on Wi-Fi I've gotten 36 hours with 4:54 SOT & 1% battery remaining, and on LTE I got 14 hours with 2:03 SOT & 46% battery remaining (on track for 27+ hours with 3:47 SOT and a dead battery). Both examples are with a lot of Feedly & TapaTalk, and a little web browsing & texting.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Toddzilla#WN

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I finally got to a store today and fondled both the Maxx and the X and I like the form factor on the X much better. The screen size on the Maxx is too big for one handed use and comfortable carry for me. So I'm confident that it will be an X for me and probably her too.

My main sticking point is that the wife doesn't want to pay full price just to keep our two unlimited plans and I thought the only option was a family share plan, but the salesman mentioned that we could just upgrade and keep two 6 GB lines... So I just realized that I should buy the X outright and keep my unlimited line and let the wife get a subsidized phone and the 6 GB plan on her line. I hope I can do that.

dsw1519

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
I finally got to a store today and fondled both the Maxx and the X and I like the form factor on the X much better. The screen size on the Maxx is too big for one handed use and comfortable carry for me. So I'm confident that it will be an X for me and probably her too.

My main sticking point is that the wife doesn't want to pay full price just to keep our two unlimited plans and I thought the only option was a family share plan, but the salesman mentioned that we could just upgrade and keep two 6 GB lines... So I just realized that I should buy the X outright and keep my unlimited line and let the wife get a subsidized phone and the 6 GB plan on her line. I hope I can do that.

I just ordered the X and paid the off contract price to keep the unlimited vzw data plan and hope to get it Monday. Knowing I am not losing unlimited data or "stuck" with a phone for 2 years is a great feeling.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool