Why is the Moto X such troll-bait?

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
It's getting to the point where I need to avoid all comments on any article concerning this phone.
Why is there such a huge core of people who don't simply love their own phone, but instead have to seek out any chance to get in and say that a price drop is too late, specs aren't what they want to see on paper, it's not the world's best camera, etc.

If you are one of these people, feel free to chime in. Let us all know how many phones you are currently haunting the forums and articles of. Tell us why this phone, seemingly above all others, is deserving of all the attention.

TechRaider05

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I would believe it's the same reason you see internet comment fights and fanboy comments for anything. Some people believe their opinion is the only right one and anything that goes against it is wrong and stupid. For them, when the Moto X came out it was instantly a middle-tier phone with a small, low resolution screen that was selling for a flagship price. Considering that specs are what drive many people to buy phones (quad core, 1080p, 5"), the Moto X was immediately a terrible phone.

The key is to recognize negative commenters and learn not to argue with people on the internet.

That said, the Moto X is a better phone than the S4, Nexus 5, iPhone 5S, Droids, Note 2, and HTC One. Come at me bros!

dsw1519

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
I would believe it's the same reason you see internet comment fights and fanboy comments for anything. Some people believe their opinion is the only right one and anything that goes against it is wrong and stupid. For them, when the Moto X came out it was instantly a middle-tier phone with a small, low resolution screen that was selling for a flagship price. Considering that specs are what drive many people to buy phones (quad core, 1080p, 5"), the Moto X was immediately a terrible phone.

The key is to recognize negative commenters and learn not to argue with people on the internet.

That said, the Moto X is a better phone than the S4, Nexus 5, iPhone 5S, Droids, Note 2, and HTC One. Come at me bros!

Those commentators are not putting any value into ease of use and overall functionality for the users. It is like having a huge house that is super fancy, but the floor plan sucks making a lot of the rooms and square footage unusable.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
It's getting to the point where I need to avoid all comments on any article concerning this phone.
Why is there such a huge core of people who don't simply love their own phone, but instead have to seek out any chance to get in and say that a price drop is too late, specs aren't what they want to see on paper, it's not the world's best camera, etc.

If you are one of these people, feel free to chime in. Let us all know how many phones you are currently haunting the forums and articles of. Tell us why this phone, seemingly above all others, is deserving of all the attention.
Where is this happening?

effreyj

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
There's some kind of mentality that everyone has that they like their phone and hate everyone else's. I switched from a GS4 to a Moto X and think both are great. The Moto X has the best software and best look and feel of any phone I've ever used, but the GS4 had a better screen and camera. It's all about personal preference.

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Surely, any of the things these commentators don't like are worse on hundreds and hundreds of phones. How come those are not suffering the same attack?

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Check the front page on Moto X being sold for $399.
Google Moto X and look for any article with a comments section.

I hate reading comments, but always seem to get sucked in. Most people like to validate their own purchase, so when someone says that another phone is a really nice phone, they get personally offended. It's ridiculous. I always wonder if that's how they react to all product they buy.

Any phone you buy today would be a solid purchase, iOS and Windows Phone included. It's nice that we have so many choices.

zobog

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
I have noticed it too. I have never seen a phone get hated on like Moto X

Under positive tech site Moto X articles read the comments. It is amusing.
Especially if they say the Moto X is the best phone.

I think it must be the specs. Or that it offers things like always listening that no other phone does.

I am not sure.

Posted via Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I hate reading comments, but always seem to get sucked in. Most people like to validate their own purchase, so when someone says that another phone is a really nice phone, they get personally offended. It's ridiculous. I always wonder if that's how they react to all product they buy.

Any phone you buy today would be a solid purchase, iOS and Windows Phone included. It's nice that we have so many choices.

Ccota08

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site

I think it must be the specs. Or that it offers things like always listening that no other phone does.

I am not sure.

From what I've seen, it's mostly the specs. A lot of people love to harp on it for its "terrible screen" because it's not 1080p. But when things like usability come up (usually Active Display and Touchless Controls), they are quick to dismiss those things as gimmicks that don't actually add anything to the user experience.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

I am not sure.

This happens often with a new phone model. The Galaxy S4 seemed to get slammed for plastic, too many features and of course the dreaded lag...at least when it launched. Much of it was from the small but vocal HTC One crowd but it got pretty bad. The mods were always on the S4 boards trying to keep the peace. Running with three phones right now but it is not too long before I go back to my Moto X! The more I use it, the more useful it is!

Not so sure why so many worry about how others spend their money...

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Bottom line folks people love to as some mentioned " justify " their purchases. Others simply like to slam a product because of its construction materials or appearance. You can't please everyone no matter how hard you try.

Moto came out with a very unique package here proving that they could make a solid performer with mid to high end components and from what I've been told close to pure vanilla Android experience and do it all for a good price. As we seen with the S4 and HTC One people will flame and troll a device to death, especially if its something they own or had a bad experience with. Sad part that comes from all that is the person reading these threads as a " buyers guide " that often get the wrong impression of the device..

I'm happy to see Moto making an impact in the Android scene again. I love seeing other companies like LG and Sony also making noise because end result is a better product for everyone coming from all the OEM's trying to compete to get your money.

Paul
Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I will weigh in here as well. I own both the X and a Nexus 5. Aside from specialty features that the X has, the two phones are extremely similar. Just yesterday, I got into earshot of my Nexus 5, and said 'OK, Google Now," and for a second wondered why nothing was happening.
I like the always listening feature, and the active notifications I like, but I can see how people won't like it.
Both features make the X what it is, and how it stands apart from the rest.

What many people underestimate about the X is while yes, on a spec sheet it is a midrange device, but in reality, it can give the slugger devices a run for their money due to how the hardware was set up for the software.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

UncleMike

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
With most people having the mindset that specs trump usability, the Moto X has more to pick on than most phones in its (now former) price range: fewer cores, smaller screen, lower resolution. Specs are easy to judge from afar, and it makes a lot of people comfortable commenting on and comparing devices they've never handled or even seen. These same people are commenting on the Moto X, even though it's impossible to judge the user experience at a distance - you have to actually use the device for a long enough period of time to allow the experience to influence your usage habits. I've seen very few (if any) people trashing the Moto X after having used it for a week or more.

There are also people who wish their device had some of the Moto X features. Maybe their device has features they're not willing give up in exchange, or maybe they can't convince themselves that their device is better so they try to convince everyone else that the Moto X is worse.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
What many people underestimate about the X is while yes, on a spec sheet it is a midrange device, but in reality, it can give the slugger devices a run for their money due to how the hardware was set up for the software.

And they don't like hearing about the fact that their phones with MOAR CORES!!!1!1!1!!!!1 are outshined in any way by what they consider to be a lesser phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc