Why is the Moto X such troll-bait?

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
and from what I've been told close to pure vanilla Android experience
Coming from a GNex, it is but with the added features of touchless controls, motorola assist and active display. That's what I call Pure Vanilla Android Plus!

And on Verizon - I will never get my OS updates pushed directly from Google without Verizon delaying the process and causing problems so I don't see any advantage to a Nexus on Verizon over the Moto X on Verizon. In fact, Motorola has configured TC, MA and AD as apps so they can bypass Verizon - pretty darn clever of them!

I'm happy to see Moto making an impact in the Android scene again. I love seeing other companies like LG and Sony also making noise because end result is a better product for everyone coming from all the OEM's trying to compete to get your money.
AMEN!

adanick2

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
LOL I was expecting someone to hop in to this conversation much earlier... you are not late

Yep someone had to! Except I'm not looking to start any arguments though :D
I just curious to hear some opinions. I can understand the Moto X performing "as good" as the other high spec phones out there, or close to it, but better? What do you think?
LG G2

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Yep someone had to! Except I'm not looking to start any arguments though :D
I just curious to hear some opinions. I can understand the Moto X performing "as good" as the other high spec phones out there, or close to it, but better? What do you think?
LG G2
I have both the Moto X and the GNote3 - the Moto X consistently gets lower pings and faster down/upload speeds on speed tests side by side with the GNote3.

And I don't have any lag on my Moto X whereas the GNote3 does have lag (no doubt due to Touchwiz).

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Silly me. I was just joking!

Go have fun with your cores! There are just so many of them, especially compared to the Moto X.

The X has the same number of processor cores as any "top" Android device. I count 8 in the X, Nexus 5, HTC One, GS4, and LG G2. A natural language processor and contextual computing processor are still processor cores.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
The X has the same number of processor cores as any "top" Android device. I count 8 in the X, Nexus 5, HTC One, GS4, and LG G2. A natural language processor and contextual computing processor are still processor cores.

I love it when people respond seriously to jokes.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
You know I've never been one to put my money on a device just because of specs. For me it all comes down to real world experience. If the device does and performs to my needs then its good in my book. So yes I'm one of those who tosses benchmarks and all that other crap out the door. I've had devices with less processor running smoother than phones with more simply because of how it was setup to fit my needs.

I think that is a clear cut example of what Moto has done here ...

shoii

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Funny the other day my cousin walked in with his brand new iPhone 5s (huge apple fanboy) and goes straight to me to checkout my new MX. He plays it with it for a second and imediately goes to checkout browsing speed and such. Every website he tried my Moto X won by a second or more. He was shocked and kept blaming the network (we have the same one) but I just laughed every time. This thing is blazing fast.

Posted via Android Central App

carter17

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
I think people that don't have it. Feel the need to bash it so they feel better about what they have. Most people got caught up in this notion that you have to have 8 cores 1080p screen. Truth is this phone is a great example that you don't need all that this phone is so smooth. You don't have to reboot it every week or so for it to run smooth. Its a quality product and to be honest this 720p screen is very nice I have not missed or noticed a difference from the DNA, or the note 3 its on par and I can't wait for what Google and moto do next

zobog

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
It has sure changed the way I look at phones and will effect all future purchases. In the future I will not consider a phone that does not have the always listening feature. I may be able to go without active notifications, but I sure do not want too.
The main reason I think I will still go with Motorola in the future is build quality and radio strength. This phones radios have put Samsung and HTC to shame.
I live in the country and can really tell the difference. Verizon is my only choice for carrier. I don't know if there is ever going back from Motorola either. Perfect connection all the time even in basements and on the road.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
You know I've never been one to put my money on a device just because of specs. For me it all comes down to real world experience. If the device does and performs to my needs then its good in my book. So yes I'm one of those who tosses benchmarks and all that other crap out the door. I've had devices with less processor running smoother than phones with more simply because of how it was setup to fit my needs.

I think that is a clear cut example of what Moto has done here ...

Couldnt have said it any better. :)
The same is true with alot of things not just phones.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
First, the x went about its hardware configuration in a less traditional way with a tech community that is largely ignorant of hardware(they see s4 pro and stop reading, no matter that this s4 pro is just a duel core version of the s600). Then the x got a lot of tech site praise while consistently being outsold by the competition. Thus leaving a lot of people both defending the x and defending other devices. This brews a concoction for lots of trolling.

Remember, trolls must be fed in order to survive. All the people running around typing "MORECOREZ" is part of the problem as well.

undulose

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
A lot of Android manufacturers like Samsung and LG put very lofty, unnecessary specs onto their devices just to say that their flagship devices are the best. Worse is that many people call this 'innovation.'

That is why a lot of people are blinded by the specs race. A friend of mine didn't like the Nexus 5 because of (he pointed out) its 2300 mAh battery. But currently, Nexus 5 has the third highest user rating in GSMArena, and that would mean it is overall a good device.

Honestly, if I were to have an Android phone, it would be the Moto X. It was engineered properly to efficiently function as a phone, and that's what I wanted to have. A smartphone is a phone, and gaming should only come second (or third) as a phone's function. If people want to play Android games heavily, they could've bought a tablet.

But Moto X is not available in our country. I pity a lot of Americans who despise Moto X. Although I heard that there's a lot of complications in choosing a device in America such as carrier and manufacturers that choose them.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937 Malaysia) using Tapatalk

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Bottom line folks people love to as some mentioned " justify " their purchases. Others simply like to slam a product because of its construction materials or appearance. You can't please everyone no matter how hard you try...

I'm happy to see Moto making an impact in the Android scene again. I love seeing other companies like LG and Sony also making noise because end result is a better product for everyone coming from all the OEM's trying to compete to get your money.

Nailed it! Especially the first line. If I spend money on a phone that I'm not happy with, I'll certainly share my experience with others (and maybe prevent them from wasting their hard-earned dollars) but if they're happy with it, good for them! It was MY money that I spent and if I'm not happy with the phone there's only one person to blame. (Hint, it's probably no one else on the boards and probably bears a striking resemblance to the face I see in the mirror every morning).

Seems people across the planet have fallen into the belief that the only opinion that's right is their own and everyone else is dumb, stupid, blind, etc.... Sad. Because if everyone thought the same we'd all drive the same cars (down to the paint job), wear the same clothes, talk the same, eat the same food, etc.... variety is good, in all areas of life! :)

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
This site and community has always lived and died by the spec sheet. When a new device is announced, the first thing we want to see is the specs. It's how we have always judged and measured new devices. I've used the X and it's a great device, but I can understand why it was met with such reservation.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

dave421

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm an iPhone guy. I've loved Android since the day it came out but always hated the hardware. 18 Cores & 86gb of RAM and the things still lag while swiping homescreens. Then the Moto X came out and I instantly fell in love. FINALLY! Someone got it! Specs don't matter, user experience does. I love that Moto is taking the "Apple" road and ignoring specs while focusing on the experience. Sadly, I see the same arguments against the X as I did/do with the iPhone when it came to hardware. I don't care if a device has 512mb of RAM or 4gb. If it lags, it's not enough. If it keeps up with my use, it's perfect. Too many people look at a spec sheet and think that's all that matters. Facts are facts and there's a lot more that determines how well a device works than just the internals. Unfortunately, too many people see big numbers and assume that's all that matters. Maybe one day they'll actually use a device like the X and start to understand that sometimes your phone has the fastest processor because it NEEDS it to keep up with a screen that has a resolution that's just there for bragging rights (and now people are working on 4k phone screens.... seriously?) and loads of RAM because they've bloated the OS beyond recognition.

UncleMike

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
This site and community has always lived and died by the spec sheet. When a new device is announced, the first thing we want to see is the specs. It's how we have always judged and measured new devices. I've used the X and it's a great device, but I can understand why it was met with such reservation.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

News outlets (Android Central among them) and enthusiasts are compelled to talk about anything new, and for devices that have been announced but not yet released, all there is to talk about is what's on paper - the specs. Sure, they can talk about features like Touchless Controls or Active Display, or whatever Samsung calls it when the screen stays on while you're looking at it, but whether it's a gimmick our a game changer is largely dependent on the user. Specs on the other hand, are objective. With other things being equal, there's no denying that faster is better than slower, higher resolution is better than lower resolution, more battery capacity is better than less battery capacity. To quote AT&T, "it's not complicated", so this is what they focus on. Only when you get a device in hand can you begin to judge the user experience, and those who haven't done that will continue to focus on specs.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk